Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Analysis
Weird cat whiskers
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Jan 25, 2020 21:23:10   #
Golden Rule Loc: Washington State
 
I took this photo of my cat and cannot get rid of the strange fringe or is it moire on her whiskers on the camera right. I've tried using the moire and defringe sliders in LRCC but nothing removes the problem. Also, do you think her white bib is too gray or wrong temp. or tint? Thanks for tips on getting those darn whiskers to look normal!


(Download)

Reply
Jan 25, 2020 22:09:03   #
RichardSM Loc: Back in Texas
 
Golden Rule wrote:
I took this photo of my cat and cannot get rid of the strange fringe or is it moire on her whiskers on the camera right. I've tried using the moire and defringe sliders in LRCC but nothing removes the problem. Also, do you think her white bib is too gray or wrong temp. or tint? Thanks for tips on getting those darn whiskers to look normal!


We my wife and I had female cat just like yours her name was Boots. Tuxedo cat

Reply
Jan 25, 2020 22:23:28   #
rgrenaderphoto Loc: Hollywood, CA
 
Golden Rule wrote:
I took this photo of my cat and cannot get rid of the strange fringe or is it moire on her whiskers on the camera right. I've tried using the moire and defringe sliders in LRCC but nothing removes the problem. Also, do you think her white bib is too gray or wrong temp. or tint? Thanks for tips on getting those darn whiskers to look normal!


It's called a ruff, and use the WB dropper in Lightroom to correct.

Reply
 
 
Jan 25, 2020 23:18:32   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
I see a possible pixelation issue on the fine lines of the whiskers on the right. Is that what you see?
Cool cat, BTW.

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 01:07:47   #
Golden Rule Loc: Washington State
 
Fotoartist wrote:
I see a possible pixelation issue on the fine lines of the whiskers on the right. Is that what you see?
Cool cat, BTW.


Yes, the problem is on the right fine lines. Is that what the dilemma is, pixelation?

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 01:12:47   #
Golden Rule Loc: Washington State
 
rgrenaderphoto wrote:
It's called a ruff, and use the WB dropper in Lightroom to correct.


I don't know what a ruff is in photography and cannot find it on the internet? Whoops, I realize you were talking about her white bib. I did use the dropper and didn't care much for the results but I will go back to the photo for a look again tomorrow.

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 06:48:46   #
Tjohn Loc: Inverness, FL formerly Arivaca, AZ
 
That is a great picture and I don't see anything wrong with the whiskers other than my monitor pixelates them a bit at different magnifications. Blow up the whiskers and print them to see if it is your monitor.

Reply
 
 
Jan 26, 2020 07:55:05   #
Linda From Maine Loc: Yakima, Washington
 
The only thing I see about the whiskers is they are a little less sharply defined than the ones camera-left, but I would think that's more about the light source and angle of our view. I would not have noticed as a problem. Have you printed and viewed at normal distance?

The bib also looks fine, with the slight gray being more about lighting than coloring. But I can understand where you might think differently if she usually wears ultra-white

"Many long-haired cats have an extra-thick layer of fur around their necks called a ruff, frills or a bib and resemble a lion's mane. In some, such as the Norwegian forest cat, Maine Coon cat and Siberian cat, the mane is a natural cold-weather adaption to keep the cats warm, much like a scarf, while in others it is the result of selective breeding."

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 09:30:16   #
R.G. Loc: Scotland
 
It's pixelation. I find that it moves about on the whiskers depending on the level of zoom that I'm using to view it. It doesn't get worse as you zoom in on it, so if you print the highest resolution file that you can get you should find that it's not in the print.

It's only certain areas of the fur that look too dark to my eye. The right side (camera right) of the breast and to a lesser extent the left paw are the most obvious ones. Try selecting those areas and lifting either brightness or shadows, and perhaps give the WB/Tint for those selections a nudge towards yellow/magenta.

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 10:27:18   #
Chuckwal Loc: West Palm Beach Florida
 
Golden
a beautiful cal and photo with your one flaw its a keeper
chuck

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 11:12:12   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
R.G. wrote:
It's pixelation. I find that it moves about on the whiskers depending on the level of zoom that I'm using to view it. It doesn't get worse as you zoom in on it, so if you print the highest resolution file that you can get you should find that it's not in the print.

It's only certain areas of the fur that look too dark to my eye. The right side (camera right) of the breast and to a lesser extent the left paw are the most obvious ones. Try selecting those areas and lifting either brightness or shadows, and perhaps give the WB/Tint for those selections a nudge towards yellow/magenta.
It's pixelation. I find that it moves about on th... (show quote)


My conclusion also. The pixelation is caused by the resolution of the monitor. That's another reason I say if you want to know how really sharp your pictures are you must print them and not rely on virtual digital images you get on screen.

Reply
 
 
Jan 26, 2020 11:51:08   #
StanMac Loc: Tennessee
 
Why bother with trying to correct it? I can’t see the anomaly at normal viewing size and distance. Unless you’re going to print or project the image several times lifesize it’s a non-issue, IMO.

Stan

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 12:20:14   #
Earnest Botello Loc: Hockley, Texas
 
At 500%, it is definitely pixelation, very good picture though.

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 16:47:21   #
Whitewater11 Loc: Ellensburg, Washington
 
Golden Rule wrote:
I took this photo of my cat and cannot get rid of the strange fringe or is it moire on her whiskers on the camera right. I've tried using the moire and defringe sliders in LRCC but nothing removes the problem. Also, do you think her white bib is too gray or wrong temp. or tint? Thanks for tips on getting those darn whiskers to look normal!


I want a cat like yours. Beautiful image. I think the problem is in the angle of reflectance. The light strikes the whiskers on the right in a way that falls off or reflects away. Maybe there simply is less light on that side to build the raw file. The tips of the hair do break up for lack of a record. This would be an interesting image for you to enlarge in Topaz Gigapixel AI. That program will enlarge, repair detail and also increase resolution if you want along with removing some pixel problems. It will not repair detail that is not there. I believe you can download a trial and test your image and the program for free.
.
Topazphoto.com usually posts discount coupons on their webinars.

This image looks great to me as is. I do not see a fringe on my screen.

Reply
Jan 26, 2020 17:17:25   #
Golden Rule Loc: Washington State
 
Thanks all for your input on perhaps not a problem after all. I am still in the pp phase of the cat and will print afterwards.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Analysis
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.