Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Camera Phones Performance
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 next>>
Dec 1, 2019 00:10:55   #
rcirr Loc: Gilbert, Arizona
 
Anyone else tired of people sometimes getting better pictures with their phone cameras than you get with your dedicated DSLR? I'm at an event. Everyone is shooting. Even in low light conditions it seems people often get better pictures than I do. regardless of what mode I m shooting (Auto, Program, A, S or full manual). Is this just happening to me? Have the phone cameras surpassed the DSLR cameras?

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 00:23:18   #
bleirer
 
No. Physics is on the DSLR side, but vision and artistic expression are not exclusively for those with expensive cameras. Besides, if my camera has double the megapixels that's twice the number of blurry pixels when I focus wrong.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 00:45:38   #
n3eg Loc: West coast USA
 
Once again...a cellphone with a camera is a spork. It does multiple things, and none of them well.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 00:52:23   #
Kuzano
 
most cell phones will serve up The Coronel's Chicken Pot Pie better than either of my Fujifilm X cams. Stick that in your Craw

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 01:36:26   #
JW S
 
n3eg wrote:
Once again...a cellphone with a camera is a spork. It does multiple things, and none of them well.


I ran a test..... In the attached pic... You can see the details from my camera shooting in Automatic at F4. The shutter was at 1/20th of a second... A speed we would never use in real time situations. Notice the camera ran the ISO up to 12k.

The larger photo from my Note 8 phone and the details of that shot show a Very Very wide Aperture - F/1.7 and extremely slow shutter 1/10 of a second.
The ISO was not that extreme at 1200.

Notice the focal length..... But where is the distortion of shooting at 4.3 MM... There is none!

And look at the file size and resolution! I could print a wall poster of my $30 shoes!

The shutter speed was like forever.... BUT a cell phone weighs like NOTHING so we can hold it steady at 1/10 of a second.

I assure you that my phone produced a better image.... But it will be soft around the edges... However, most people don't complain about the 'soft youthful looking skin' produced by cell phones.

Yes, cell phones can produce better images of people in low light.


(Download)

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 06:07:02   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
rcirr wrote:
Anyone else tired of people sometimes getting better pictures with their phone cameras than you get with your dedicated DSLR? I'm at an event. Everyone is shooting. Even in low light conditions it seems people often get better pictures than I do. regardless of what mode I m shooting (Auto, Program, A, S or full manual). Is this just happening to me? Have the phone cameras surpassed the DSLR cameras?


Success is the photographer. Failure is the equipment ...

Why not start a new thread with some example images and ask for help in your shooting technique? By way of similar thinking, I set-up the tripod with flash for a family shot over Thanksgiving. We let a non family guest trip the shutter with a wired remote as I called out the 3-2-1 and asked everyone to look at the same point at the camera. They also grabbed an old Powershot and captured one while we were still posed. My Dad posted that one since it will be another week before I can stop and edit the DSLR results. For social media, who would say the full-frame DSLR is 'better'?

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 06:26:50   #
Strodav Loc: Houston, Tx
 
We have all seen award winning smartphone pics and smartphone cameras get better with each new release, but they have limitations. I read an article comparing smartphone portraits against a modern dslr with portrait lens. You could see noticeable distortion in the smartphone pics although quality at 12mp wasn’t bad at all. Smartphones are also getting very good at post processing in camera like blurring and darkening backgrounds. For true macro work, when a telephoto lens is called for, or you want exquisite detail, pull out the dslr and appropriate lens.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 07:14:03   #
JohnSwanda Loc: San Francisco
 
Smart phones have raised the idea of a point and shoot to a high technological level, allowing casual photographers to get better photos in all kinds of conditions than film point and shoots ever could. You can get better results with a DSLR, but only by developing skills to take advantage of its capabilities. Get it right in the camera and then further enhance it with post processing.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 08:19:12   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
No.

I dislike the ergonomics of a cell phone.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 08:32:40   #
Jim Bianco
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
Success is the photographer. Failure is the equipment ...

Why not start a new thread with some example images and ask for help in your shooting technique? By way of similar thinking, I set-up the tripod with flash for a family shot over Thanksgiving. We let a non family guest trip the shutter with a wired remote as I called out the 3-2-1 and asked everyone to look at the same point at the camera. They also grabbed an old Powershot and captured one while we were still posed. My Dad posted that one since it will be another week before I can stop and edit the DSLR results. For social media, who would say the full-frame DSLR is 'better'?
Success is the photographer. Failure is the equipm... (show quote)

My sister took pics of her trip out west with her cell phone and had them blown up to 9×12 , and 16 ×20 and they are great clear and super sharp also some panos. I am thinking of getting rid of all my gear and shooting with a cell phone l just put in my pocket and go. I think that's all you need today. Jim Bianco

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 08:37:12   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Jim Bianco wrote:
My sister took pics of her trip out west with her cell phone and had them blown up to 9×12 , and 16 ×20 and they are great clear and super sharp also some panos. I am thinking of getting rid of all my gear and shooting with a cell phone l just put in my pocket and go. I think that's all you need today. Jim Bianco


Are you as good as your sister?

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 08:51:57   #
larryepage
 
rcirr wrote:
Anyone else tired of people sometimes getting better pictures with their phone cameras than you get with your dedicated DSLR? I'm at an event. Everyone is shooting. Even in low light conditions it seems people often get better pictures than I do. regardless of what mode I m shooting (Auto, Program, A, S or full manual). Is this just happening to me? Have the phone cameras surpassed the DSLR cameras?


All cameras today represent a very highlevel of development and execution. A lot of energy is wasted here and at my local photography club over which technology and approach is best, when in reality, the argument is just what the poet wrote many years ago..."a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

We also had a family gathering on Thanksgiving. I was drafted to capture a posed family group picture in front of the fireplace, despite the established fact that I don't take posed pictures of people. It will be a very nice family picture, and I plan to give prints at Christmas, even though they are going to end up being an "odd" size, with about a 2:1 aspect ratio when done. I used a D850, a tripod, and an SB-800 flash.

A little later, after we finished eating and cleared the table, my wife used her iPhone 10 to capture a really good image of our group visiting around the table. Her lighting was from the overhead chandelier. The result was a great image which has already circulated through the entire family, and which will also print beautifully, if she decides to do that. Focus is great, exposure is perfect, and dynamic range is stunning. By the way...she has no extra apps installed in her phone to make this happen.

While there has been different emphasis on technical points, the simple truth is that all manufacturers have been working very hard to deliver cameras that capture and deliver wonderful images. They've done this while we've been arguing and salivating and wishing for who knows what new feature on a camera that we may or may not buy, and that 5% of those who do buy might take the time to learn to use.

I am thankful for the cameras that I have that provide me with a lot of capability. But I don't need to tout mine or denigrate yours or continually pine for something different.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 08:58:08   #
BebuLamar
 
The OP can't really post examples. He would have to post some of his pictures which is easy but he would also have to post some of the cell phone pictures from others that he thought were better than his.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 09:09:36   #
rook2c4 Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
 
I think it simply means that you haven't learned to use your DSLR to its full potential. There is very little that a smart phone camera can do that a DSLR camera cannot do. However, there is quite a bit a you can do with a DSLR camera that would be very difficult or downright impossible to achieve with a phone camera.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 09:58:48   #
Linda From Maine Loc: Yakima, Washington State, home since 2002
 
BebuLamar wrote:
The OP can't really post examples...
The OP has been a member of UHH for seven years, but is still randomly selecting shooting mode? I don't think he intended this particular topic to be about learning

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.