Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
I really need RAW help - please
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 next>>
Oct 8, 2019 13:52:50   #
Sark17 Loc: Atlanta, GA
 
I only downloaded it a few months ago so I have the newest version, but it says "not readable" or some version of those words, on about half of my raw photos when I try to import them directly into LRCC.

robertjerl wrote:
Last October they released an update to LRCC that handles EOS R raw format. How long since you updated CC?
And LRCC has an option to do the DNG conversion on import if you wish to work with DNG instead of the Canon raw format.
After all DNG is an Adobe in house created format so they do know how to do the conversion.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 13:56:01   #
robertjerl Loc: Corona, California
 
Most guides to PP work I have read put sharpening last in the workflow.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 13:58:39   #
robertjerl Loc: Corona, California
 
Sark17 wrote:
I only downloaded it a few months ago so I have the newest version, but it says "not readable" or some version of those words, on about half of my raw photos when I try to import them directly into LRCC.


That sounds like something in the software or the cards (card reader, cable ???) has a problem. And I have gotten about 4 upgrades to LR and PS CC in the last month. I have CC set to do auto downloads and notify me of upgrades when I open the CC app - not direct to LR or PS. The upgrades don't show if you skip the CC app and go straight to the LR or PS. So while I normally start straight to LR at least once a week I open the CC app to check on updates.
There is also a firmware upgrade for the EOS R out lately.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:03:13   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Sark17 wrote:
I only downloaded it a few months ago so I have the newest version, but it says "not readable" or some version of those words, on about half of my raw photos when I try to import them directly into LRCC.


As a reminder to all, the EOS R offers a "traditional" EOS RAW format with extension CR2 and a brand new 'compressed' RAW format identified by extension CR3. EOS R files are like all cameras, where the RAW file is unique to the camera body even when assigned the general CR2 extension for identification purposes. It seems Adobe's support of the CR3 files is slower to accomplish, being both a new camera and a new format from Canon. Reviewing the camera raw formats supported by specific software versions should be confirmed directly from the Adobe site, where possibly changes have been released in the past several days or weeks. The individual photographer can value judge their own decisions on shooting in either CR2 or CR3, as well as deciding to use Adobe's free DNG conversion software.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:07:17   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
As a reminder to all, the EOS R offers a "traditional" EOS RAW format with extension CR2 and a brand new 'compressed' RAW format identified by extension CR3. EOS R files are like all cameras, where the RAW file is unique to the camera body even when assigned the general CR2 extension for identification purposes. It seems Adobe's support of the CR3 files is slower to accomplish, being both a new camera and a new format from Canon. Reviewing the camera raw formats supported by specific software versions should be confirmed directly from the Adobe site, where possibly changes have been released in the past several days or weeks. The individual photographer can value judge their own decisions on shooting in either CR2 or CR3, as well as deciding to use Adobe's free DNG conversion software.
As a reminder to all, the EOS R offers a "tra... (show quote)

Could the .CR3 file and editor used very well be the issue???

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:09:56   #
Sark17 Loc: Atlanta, GA
 
Issue with grain or issue getting them on my computer? Honestly the chances of user error here are very high. I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I have the newest update for the camera at least, I saw someone comment on that software. That’s updated, and so is my LRCC. Other than that I don’t know what to do differently to get them on other than convert to DNG.

Longshadow wrote:
Could the .CR3 file and editor used very well be the issue???

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:12:26   #
dsmeltz Loc: Philadelphia
 
Sark17 wrote:
You are exactly right about the memory cards! though I have purchased enough of them that they add up to a nice lens but without them I won't have anything! I have about 8 256GB so I will be okay, I just know I will take a TON of photos! I can take 600 photos of my dog on a walk so I can't imagine Africa, for me, a once in a lifetime trip!

About the DNG - I did a youtube search of how to get the RAW photos off of my card and onto my computer and they recommended this converter. I tried to pull them right into LR, but I have LRCC, and about half of the photos were "unreadable". Not sure why.

With JPEG - I am pretty comfortable editing and saving different versions. With RAW - I am (obviously) clueless. I want to get the best photos possible, but I just feel like they will be stuck on an SD card for eternity.

I even edited this one of my dog in LR and it got better noise wise, but still very grainy. Not sure what steps to take after that to make it less grainy, and that is my number one issue. The actual exposure, lighting, etc, I know how to mess with in PS, but the grain/quality, that's what is making me question what I am doing wrong - or not doing right I guess. Thank you for your tips!
You are exactly right about the memory cards! thou... (show quote)


Having relied on sd cards and my laptop for a while, I am considering a WD 4TB Passport with a card reader for travel. A lot more memory for much less cost. And no worry about misplacing one of those little cards.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:14:27   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
Sark17 wrote:
Issue with grain or issue getting them on my computer? Honestly the chances of user error here are very high. I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I have the newest update for the camera at least, I saw someone comment on that software. That’s updated, and so is my LRCC. Other than that I don’t know what to do differently to get them on other than convert to DNG.

My camera stores .CR2 (older camera), I use Canon's RAW editor, DPP, and I can't say that the RAW is grainier than the JPEG. But it could be the camera settings used to save the JPEG???

One cannot look at a RAW file on a computer without using an editor or RAW converter.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:21:09   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Sark17 wrote:
Issue with grain or issue getting them on my computer? Honestly the chances of user error here are very high. I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I have the newest update for the camera at least, I saw someone comment on that software. That’s updated, and so is my LRCC. Other than that I don’t know what to do differently to get them on other than convert to DNG.


As a subscriber, you can open a free chat with Adobe Technical Support and ask them to determine the cause of the problem. We're not there to peek over your shoulder to see your computer, where Adobe can remote-in and make such an inspection. Both the EOS R CR2 and CR3 files are listed as being supported by LR Classic.

You should expect to need a minimum of 2-weeks to be confident and comfortable in LR RAW editing, maybe less, probably longer. I learn something new probably weekly about the software, even now at almost 4-years of nearly daily use. Both the Adobe site and free videos on u-tube provide hundreds of hours of video training.

Based on my own experience, I've put together two medium-technical posts that might be useful when you have more time to concentrate on using LR:

Basics of noise processing

Basics of Lightroom Sharpening

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:32:21   #
rmorrison1116 Loc: Southeast, Southcentral PA
 
RAW is not an image format, repeat, NOT an image format. The image you see from the RAW data file is a low resolution JPEG thumbnail, not a RAW image. Since you are shooting with a Canon camera, you should have a disk or have internet access to Canon DPP processing software. USE DPP to process your RAW data files into JPEG or TIFF image files.
The reason for shooting RAW is, RAW saves all the data, gathered by the digital camera, to storage. With 'all' the data you have the ability to control the outcome of the image far, far more than if you shoot just JPEG. Shooting JPEG starts out as RAW and then the camera processes the RAW data into a JPEG, eliminating a large percentage of the data the camera originally gathered.
Some folks may suggest, shoot both RAW and JPEG. Don't do that, it's just a waste of storage space on your memory card and since the camera only has 1 card, why waste storage space!?

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:33:40   #
srt101fan
 
Sark17 wrote:
You are exactly right about the memory cards! though I have purchased enough of them that they add up to a nice lens but without them I won't have anything! I have about 8 256GB so I will be okay, I just know I will take a TON of photos! I can take 600 photos of my dog on a walk so I can't imagine Africa, for me, a once in a lifetime trip!

About the DNG - I did a youtube search of how to get the RAW photos off of my card and onto my computer and they recommended this converter. I tried to pull them right into LR, but I have LRCC, and about half of the photos were "unreadable". Not sure why.

With JPEG - I am pretty comfortable editing and saving different versions. With RAW - I am (obviously) clueless. I want to get the best photos possible, but I just feel like they will be stuck on an SD card for eternity.

I even edited this one of my dog in LR and it got better noise wise, but still very grainy. Not sure what steps to take after that to make it less grainy, and that is my number one issue. The actual exposure, lighting, etc, I know how to mess with in PS, but the grain/quality, that's what is making me question what I am doing wrong - or not doing right I guess. Thank you for your tips!
You are exactly right about the memory cards! thou... (show quote)


You've mentioned several times that you have trouble getting your RAW files off the SD card onto the computer. Not sure if anyone has addressed that.

Are you having a problem getting the files directly from the card into Lightroom? I don't use LR so I don't know what issues might be involved in that.

But just getting the RAW files off the card and onto the computer should be no problem. Whatever method you now use to transfer your JPEGs should also work for RAW. After all, RAW is just a data file that you should be able to move around your computer's file structure just like any other kind of file using standard commands such as Copy, Paste, etc.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:42:43   #
Mr. SONY Loc: LI, NY
 
Yes safe your pictures in both raw and jpeg.
Make sure though when you set your camera to save both that you make sure your jpegs
are recorded at their highest quality.
They can be recorded at different qualities.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 14:54:12   #
Silverrails
 
Sark17 wrote:
Hello! I am new to shooting RAW and am getting more confused by the day. I have a professional photographer friend who tells me I HAVE to shoot in raw on an upcoming trip to Africa (I leave Friday!) So I started shooting raw to practice using my dogs. I figured it would be fairly straight forward - I was very wrong. I use a Canon EOS R with various lenses.

In the first screen shot you can see the JPG (right) compared to the RAW photo (left). The Raw photo is super grainy. The JPG is fine. I didn't edit any of these or even try for any good composition, just wanted to practice working with RAW and getting them off of my card - which has also proven to be complicated.

So, my questions - 1) why are my RAW photos much more grainy than JPG? I realize ISO is a bit high in this specific photo, but even when it's not at all, I get the same result. 2) what is the most straightforward way to get to get a raw file off of an SD card and actually be able to do anything with it on a Mac? Lastly, I am probably just going to shoot Large JPG to save myself the panic of ruining something trying to use RAW if I can't figure this out...

I am currently using a DNG converter to get them to Lightroom, then I am not totally sure what to do with them after that, I couldn't even figure out how to save it to post it here as an example as I did with the JPEG.

Thank you so much in advance for any tips/tricks you are willing to lend - I am pretty confused!
Hello! I am new to shooting RAW and am getting mor... (show quote)


I would definitely make sure you have some larger capacity SDHC memory Cards, at least 64gb cards, especially if doing RAW + JPEG. Hope you have a successful Africa Photography journey.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 16:33:20   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
RAW requires processing by you. Everything you like about the JPEG in terms of sharpening, noise and colors, those were done by the camera. The RAW file is the sensor data with none of the processing that was done by the camera.

If you're going to be a RAW shooter, you need more powerful tools than Apple Photos. You may need a stronger computer. You may need more harddisk and removable HD space to hold the larger files. You'll certainly need training and practice on how to use the editing software, particularly when you consider all the edit decisions you now need to make (sharpening, saturation, noise reduction, exposure adjustments, white balance adjustments, application of lens profiles, cropping & leveling, distortion adjustment, etc).

Rather than panicking in response to a questionable piece of advice, assure you have enough cards and / or portable diskspace to shoot both large / fine JPEG and RAW. Or, just skip the RAW.
RAW requires processing by you. Everything you lik... (show quote)


....and to think, most people here on UHH say it COSTS no more to shoot raw BTW, shooting raw and/or raw + JPEG will SLOW your camera down - which could be critical for some scenarios.

OR, you could just forget about all of this and just concentrate on shooting GOOD JPEGS 8-)
.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2019 16:53:02   #
rcarol
 
Sark17 wrote:
You are exactly right about the memory cards! though I have purchased enough of them that they add up to a nice lens but without them I won't have anything! I have about 8 256GB so I will be okay, I just know I will take a TON of photos! I can take 600 photos of my dog on a walk so I can't imagine Africa, for me, a once in a lifetime trip!

About the DNG - I did a youtube search of how to get the RAW photos off of my card and onto my computer and they recommended this converter. I tried to pull them right into LR, but I have LRCC, and about half of the photos were "unreadable". Not sure why.

With JPEG - I am pretty comfortable editing and saving different versions. With RAW - I am (obviously) clueless. I want to get the best photos possible, but I just feel like they will be stuck on an SD card for eternity.

I even edited this one of my dog in LR and it got better noise wise, but still very grainy. Not sure what steps to take after that to make it less grainy, and that is my number one issue. The actual exposure, lighting, etc, I know how to mess with in PS, but the grain/quality, that's what is making me question what I am doing wrong - or not doing right I guess. Thank you for your tips!
You are exactly right about the memory cards! thou... (show quote)

don't forget to take plenty of batteries. You never know when you'll have the opportunity to recharge them in Africa.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.