Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
D850 Dropsies
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Sep 9, 2019 15:21:28   #
RichLacey
 
Well - that which never happens TO ME (lol) did happen. This is not a discussion about what I did incorrectly, just an FYI for D850 Owners.

I was trail walking in Grand Teton NP and was mentally composing my next shot when a solid root “jumped up” and tripped me at full stride, D850 in my right hand.

I went down hard, breaking 2 ribs, and the D850 landed about 20 feet ahead of me.

Just to let you know, the camera and 28-70 nikkor survived without a scratch thanks to the hard lens hood on which it landed face down. The camera continues to function flawlessly with flawless focus. This is one SOLID dslr.

I sent it in to Nikon for NPS service, inspection, and cleaning to be sure and NO damage was found.

If you have purchased a D850, then you should feel good about its durability.

Rich

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 15:25:08   #
MT Shooter
 
Always good to be lucky too!

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 15:32:04   #
Retired CPO (a regular here)
 
Good news! How are the ribs?

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 15:37:31   #
mwsilvers (a regular here)
 
RichLacey wrote:
Well - that which never happens TO ME (lol) did happen. This is not a discussion about what I did incorrectly, just an FYI for D850 Owners.

I was trail walking in Grand Teton NP and was mentally composing my next shot when a solid root “jumped up” and tripped me at full stride, D850 in my right hand.

I went down hard, breaking 2 ribs, and the D850 landed about 20 feet ahead of me.

Just to let you know, the camera and 28-70 nikkor survived without a scratch thanks to the hard lens hood on which it landed face down. The camera continues to function flawlessly with flawless focus. This is one SOLID dslr.

I sent it in to Nikon for NPS service, inspection, and cleaning to be sure and NO damage was found.

If you have purchased a D850, then you should feel good about its durability.

Rich
Well - that which never happens TO ME (lol) did ha... (show quote)


I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt, and I'm not surprised the D850 survived the accident. Based on how far away it ended up, I assume you didn't have it on a strap. While being on a strap probably would not have protected it from any impact all, it would have protected it from bouncing 20 feet away from you. I know some straps can feel restrictive, but many may fit you needs.

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 15:55:50   #
RichLacey
 
I HAVE learned my lesson. You are correct that it was not on a strap. Still, if I had landed on it ...

What do you recommend?

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 15:56:19   #
kpmac (a regular here)
 
Maybe a wrist strap for next time.....if there is one?

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 15:57:06   #
Gene51 (a regular here)
 
RichLacey wrote:
Well - that which never happens TO ME (lol) did happen. This is not a discussion about what I did incorrectly, just an FYI for D850 Owners.

I was trail walking in Grand Teton NP and was mentally composing my next shot when a solid root “jumped up” and tripped me at full stride, D850 in my right hand.

I went down hard, breaking 2 ribs, and the D850 landed about 20 feet ahead of me.

Just to let you know, the camera and 28-70 nikkor survived without a scratch thanks to the hard lens hood on which it landed face down. The camera continues to function flawlessly with flawless focus. This is one SOLID dslr.

I sent it in to Nikon for NPS service, inspection, and cleaning to be sure and NO damage was found.

If you have purchased a D850, then you should feel good about its durability.

Rich
Well - that which never happens TO ME (lol) did ha... (show quote)


You should consider having your ribs repaired by NPS . . .

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 16:04:50   #
quixdraw (a regular here)
 
kpmac wrote:
Maybe a wrist strap for next time.....if there is one?


I use a Black Rapid Wrist Strap on each of my Nikons. Caught a toe and took a face fall coming out of Taliesin West. Cut on the elbow, ripped a favorite shirt, camera never left my hand or touched the ground. Some luck, and falling practice, but the strap sure helped.

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 16:09:01   #
mwsilvers (a regular here)
 
RichLacey wrote:
I HAVE learned my lesson. You are correct that it was not on a strap. Still, if I had landed on it ...

What do you recommend?


I've tried many over the years from expensive to moderately expensive. However, these days, I use the very comfortable and reasonably priced straps from Optech.

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 16:14:13   #
Leitz
 
RichLacey wrote:
Well - that which never happens TO ME (lol) did happen. This is not a discussion about what I did incorrectly, just an FYI for D850 Owners.

I was trail walking in Grand Teton NP and was mentally composing my next shot when a solid root “jumped up” and tripped me at full stride, D850 in my right hand.

I went down hard, breaking 2 ribs, and the D850 landed about 20 feet ahead of me.

Just to let you know, the camera and 28-70 nikkor survived without a scratch thanks to the hard lens hood on which it landed face down. The camera continues to function flawlessly with flawless focus. This is one SOLID dslr.

I sent it in to Nikon for NPS service, inspection, and cleaning to be sure and NO damage was found.

If you have purchased a D850, then you should feel good about its durability.

Rich
Well - that which never happens TO ME (lol) did ha... (show quote)

First you say the camera survived thanks to the hood, then you extol the camera's durability. Can we assume that you have no clue?

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 16:36:58   #
RichLacey
 
Fair enough

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 17:32:32   #
Retired CPO (a regular here)
 
Leitz wrote:
First you say the camera survived thanks to the hood, then you extol the camera's durability. Can we assume that you have no clue?


I would propose that the lens hood had some role in protecting the lens and the robust engineering had some role in saving the camera body. Can we assume that would work as a clue for you?

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 21:52:31   #
Strodav (a regular here)
 
Love my D850 as well. Broken ribs can be very painful, especially if you move wrong, so I hope you aren't in too much pain and hope you heal up quickly.

| Reply
Sep 9, 2019 22:06:07   #
RichLacey
 
Thanks to all the well-wishers! Ribs healing ever so slowly, but no worries. Hoggers are the BEST!!!

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 05:59:18   #
duane klipping
 
Leitz wrote:
First you say the camera survived thanks to the hood, then you extol the camera's durability. Can we assume that you have no clue?


Why do people like you see the need to post a snarky reply such as this? I have no clue why they do it maybe you can enlighten us?

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.