Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
USB card reader v camera cable.
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 next>>
Aug 11, 2019 11:31:56   #
buckscop Loc: Bucks County PA
 
Not the hottest topic here, but am interested in the answer. Is downloading the camera to a PC/tablet faster with a USB reader, or using the cable that came with the camera (Canon)? Some of my larger shooting sessions (200ish) photos, takes awhile with the cable. USB also seems easier to bring along on trips versus the cable. The USB reader would almost be 'universal' . Just wondering what the UHH crowd prefers.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 11:34:09   #
Fotomacher Loc: Toronto
 
buckscop wrote:
Not the hottest topic here, but am interested in the answer. Is downloading the camera to a PC/tablet faster with a USB reader, or using the cable that came with the camera (Canon)? Some of my larger shooting sessions (200ish) photos, takes awhile with the cable. USB also seems easier to bring along on trips versus the cable. The USB reader would almost be 'universal' . Just wondering what the UHH crowd prefers.


I have been shooting digital since 2000 and have never plugged a camera into a computer. I have always used a card reader of good quality.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 11:40:23   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
Typically the transfer from camera via the cable is slower than transferring from a card.
I always transfer from the card. Once the files have been backed up, I delete the images on the card via Windows Explorer.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 11:41:45   #
ken_stern Loc: Yorba Linda, Ca
 
I have used both & found the card reader to be faster & a lot less of a hassle
However on the plus side Camera & cable eliminates the possibility of bent pins

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 11:43:06   #
quixdraw Loc: American Free States -- Montana
 
Never had a card reader - always used a cable or SDHC slot in the computer. Seems quick & efficient enough. I reformat the card in camera as needed. What are the benefits of a card reader?

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 11:48:09   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
quixdraw wrote:
Never had a card reader - always used a cable or SDHC slot in the computer. Seems quick & efficient enough. I reformat the card in camera as needed. What are the benefits of a card reader?


If you don't have a card reader built into the computer.
One old computer I had did not have a built-in card reader, I had to use an external reader.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 11:53:03   #
quixdraw Loc: American Free States -- Montana
 
Longshadow wrote:
If you don't have a card reader built into the computer.
One old computer I had did not have a built-in card reader, I had to use an external reader.


Thanks! Now I know.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 12:15:20   #
mcmama
 
quixdraw wrote:
Never had a card reader - always used a cable or SDHC slot in the computer. Seems quick & efficient enough. I reformat the card in camera as needed. What are the benefits of a card reader?


I got a card reader to download to my iPad when traveling. Although I do most of my editing on my computer, the iPad helps me to eliminate shots, and to do minor editing in prep for the more serious stuff once I get home to my computer.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 12:20:22   #
ORpilot Loc: Prineville, Or
 
My computers have a direct SD card slot. Putting the card from the camera in the computers slot is much faster than using the USB cord to the camera.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 13:01:58   #
davyboy Loc: Anoka Mn.
 
buckscop wrote:
Not the hottest topic here, but am interested in the answer. Is downloading the camera to a PC/tablet faster with a USB reader, or using the cable that came with the camera (Canon)? Some of my larger shooting sessions (200ish) photos, takes awhile with the cable. USB also seems easier to bring along on trips versus the cable. The USB reader would almost be 'universal' . Just wondering what the UHH crowd prefers.


I have always plugged my cable into the camera and then the computer for 180 shots jus a couple minutes download time. Has always worked nice and simple

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 13:03:47   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
I’ve been meaning to benchmark the 3 possible methods of image transfer: fast USB-3 reader, direct connection to camera and Wi_Fi from the camera. I think I already know the answer (same as the order above), but it will be interesting to see the actual data - I’ll post it later. In terms of relatability, WIFi is the safest and after that, as said above, it’s the possibility of bent pins vs USB camera port mechanical failure - pick your poison.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 13:05:19   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
While a card reader is faster, the USB cable is fast enough. My computer has USB2. A newer one with USB3 would be faster (if the camera can go that fast). I prefer this so as to eliminate the need to remove & replace the card for several reasons. Not only to prevent bent pins, but I worry about static electricity.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 13:43:55   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
TriX wrote:
I’ve been meaning to benchmark the 3 possible methods of image transfer: fast USB-3 reader, direct connection to camera and Wi_Fi from the camera. I think I already know the answer (same as the order above), but it will be interesting to see the actual data - I’ll post it later. In terms of relatability, WIFi is the safest and after that, as said above, it’s the possibility of bent pins vs USB camera port mechanical failure - pick your poison.

Sometimes I transfer files from PC to PC over encrypted WIFI, I'm guessing that is the slowest method.
MUCH slower than the card reader.
It will be interesting to see your results!
Non-encrypted may be faster, but.....

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 13:45:32   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
Longshadow wrote:
Sometimes I transfer files from PC to PC over encrypted WIFI, I'm guessing that is the slowest method.
MUCH slower than the card reader.
It will be interesting to see your results!
Non-encrypted may be faster, but.....


Yes - Wi-fi is noticeably slower

| Reply
Aug 11, 2019 14:09:28   #
via the lens Loc: Northern California, near Yosemite NP
 
Always have and will continue to use a card reader. I take two on a trip. Always good to have a backup!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.