Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Photos for 18 by 24 Frame
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Jun 17, 2019 18:29:43   #
nana989
 
I have 3 18 x 24 frames from Hobby Lobby that I want to put matted landscape photos in for display in my home. I ordered 12 by 18 prints because I wanted the full frame photo. After seeing them and putting them inside the frame, my first instinct is the frame and mat will dwarf the 12 x 18 photographs. Are there any standard recommendations for photo / mat/ frame sizes or is it a matter of personal taste? If not, what is your personal preference for print and mat sizes with this frame size? I realize now, I should have bought the frame after the prints. Hobby Lobby sells so many of this size frames , I feel I’m missing out on what size other than a poster it was intended for.



| Reply
Jun 17, 2019 18:35:15   #
TMurphy71
 
I think you nailed it the first time. This will leave just 3" of mat between the photo and frame, which to me seems perfectly fine.

| Reply
Jun 17, 2019 18:39:09   #
DAMcCoy
 
13x19 fits the same aspect ratio as a full frame and 13’’ is the max of a lot of printers. I show a lot of 13x19 prints in 18x24 frames.

| Reply
Jun 17, 2019 18:50:08   #
BlueMorel (a regular here)
 
That is a fairly standard frame size for 12 x 18, gives you a 3" mat around the pics, also a standard size available through many vendors. I have a few on my wall right now framed like that and the mat makes a nice display background. If you google search on "mat size for 12x18" you'll get a huge list of vendors and advice sites.

| Reply
Jun 17, 2019 18:52:11   #
nana989
 
Thanks a lot. We repainted our entire home and I am terrified of putting that first nail in the wall , especially if I’ve bought the wrong size frame.

| Reply
Jun 17, 2019 20:14:42   #
LWW (a regular here)
 
nana989 wrote:
Thanks a lot. We repainted our entire home and I am terrified of putting that first nail in the wall , especially if I’ve bought the wrong size frame.


I would center it horizontally, and on the vertical I’d do 1.5 inch on top and 2.5 on the bottom giving the bottom s tad if weight.

| Reply
Jun 17, 2019 21:34:52   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
LWW wrote:
I would center it horizontally, and on the vertical I’d do 1.5 inch on top and 2.5 on the bottom giving the bottom s tad if weight.


Any extra mat space would look better on the bottom.

| Reply
Jun 17, 2019 21:37:02   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
TMurphy71 wrote:
I think you nailed it the first time. This will leave just 3" of mat between the photo and frame, which to me seems perfectly fine.


| Reply
Jun 18, 2019 05:47:11   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
nana989 wrote:
I have 3 18 x 24 frames from Hobby Lobby that I want to put matted landscape photos in for display in my home. I ordered 12 by 18 prints because I wanted the full frame photo. After seeing them and putting them inside the frame, my first instinct is the frame and mat will dwarf the 12 x 18 photographs. Are there any standard recommendations for photo / mat/ frame sizes or is it a matter of personal taste? If not, what is your personal preference for print and mat sizes with this frame size? I realize now, I should have bought the frame after the prints. Hobby Lobby sells so many of this size frames , I feel I’m missing out on what size other than a poster it was intended for.
I have 3 18 x 24 frames from Hobby Lobby that I wa... (show quote)


I use a custom framer, I use a 3 inch mat on my 18X24 and 12X18 prints.

| Reply
Jun 18, 2019 07:30:52   #
bigbten
 
I use 18x24 frames for 13x19, which gives a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" mat border around them. The proportions look better to me than a 12x18 with a 3" x 3" mat border.

| Reply
Jun 18, 2019 08:07:13   #
Blair Shaw Jr (a regular here)
 
A 3" matt all around is very artistic....especially with B&W's as the mounted photo-within.......choose a Neutral Matt (wht, grey.blk or gold). You may also consider a double or triple matt scenario as well.

You'll be fine. Love Hobby Lobby they're really good.

| Reply
Jun 18, 2019 08:48:23   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Nothing wrong with a 3" border.

| Reply
Jun 18, 2019 15:51:24   #
rbest77701
 
nana989 wrote:
I have 3 18 x 24 frames from Hobby Lobby that I want to put matted landscape photos in for display in my home. I ordered 12 by 18 prints because I wanted the full frame photo. After seeing them and putting them inside the frame, my first instinct is the frame and mat will dwarf the 12 x 18 photographs. Are there any standard recommendations for photo / mat/ frame sizes or is it a matter of personal taste? If not, what is your personal preference for print and mat sizes with this frame size? I realize now, I should have bought the frame after the prints. Hobby Lobby sells so many of this size frames , I feel I’m missing out on what size other than a poster it was intended for.
I have 3 18 x 24 frames from Hobby Lobby that I wa... (show quote)


13 x 19 looks very nice matted and framed in 18x24. I have several framed that way.

| Reply
Jun 18, 2019 16:05:04   #
nana989
 
Thanks for the suggestions I will let you know how it goes. The lady at Hobby Lobby was very helpful, especially with choosing the appropriate color of mats to go with my photographs.

| Reply
Jun 18, 2019 16:07:30   #
nana989
 
I was glad to have the lady at Hobby Lobby help me with the mat selection. I’m excited to see how they will turn out.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.