Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Battery Substitute
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Jun 10, 2019 07:00:22   #
jradose
 
As most external flashes do, my flash takes 4 AA batteries. The problem is, those batteries die out so quickly. Is there a better battery one can get that will replace those 4 AA batteries?

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:04:22   #
Pablo8
 
Get good re-chargeable AA's and have two (or more) spare sets with you at all times.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:06:20   #
dhroberts
 
I use Eneloop (sp?) rechargeable AA's in my Nikon flashes and in my F5. They are long-lasting, economical, and reliable. Best source (as usual) is B&H.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:10:27   #
Old Timer
 
Have you tried the Eneloop rechargeable batteries? I have used them for several years. They maintain their charge on the shelf and hold up longer that any other that I have tried. Panasonic I believe has acquired them but still are made and sold under the Eneloop brand. I have used them for about eight to ten years. I have had some for years and they still recharge good. I have tried other brands of rechargeable but were not satisfied with them.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:14:07   #
jradose
 
Sounds like Eneloop rechargeables is the answer, thank you!!

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:29:30   #
Bison Bud
 
While rechargeable batteries do provide real cost savings, a new set of good Alkaline batteries should provide longer service than any rechargeable battery can provide in that size. Even with rechargeable batteries in service, I'd keep some Alkaline AA's around for backup service. Their shelf life should be longer too, you just can't recharge them.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:31:21   #
Gene51 (a regular here)
 
jradose wrote:
As most external flashes do, my flash takes 4 AA batteries. The problem is, those batteries die out so quickly. Is there a better battery one can get that will replace those 4 AA batteries?


Some speed lights have the capacity to use an external battery. Which one are you using?

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:43:24   #
rjaywallace (a regular here)
 
Old Timer wrote:
Have you tried the Eneloop rechargeable batteries? I have used them for several years. They maintain their charge on the shelf and hold up longer that any other that I have tried. Panasonic I believe has acquired them but still are made and sold under the Eneloop brand. I have used them for about eight to ten years. I have had some for years and they still recharge good. I have tried other brands of rechargeable but were not satisfied with them.

Another vote for Eneloop brand rechargeable batteries. Been using them for years now and always found them reliable and fully-functional in my photo gear, radios and flashlights.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:57:14   #
grandpaw
 
Enloop all the way!!!!! I shot with a set in my Nikon SB900 flash at a shoot for a couple of hours, went to another shoot and shot for a while and the went to a third shoot that lasted from 4:30 to around 10:30 that night shooting several hundred pictures, all with flash and it died on the the very last shot. I highly recommend Enloop batteries. I might add that I did this without recharging them. I use them in all three of my speed lights and my Pocket Wizards and have never had a problem.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 07:58:12   #
LFingar (a regular here)
 
I've used Exide Ultimate Lithium in my Canon 430 EX II flash for years with no problems at all. Not the cheapest solution but they last seemingly forever, plus, spares have something like a 15 yr shelf life. I've had a spare set in my bag for so long I've almost forgotten they were there. Another plus is that they don't leak like alkaline batteries. I've heard that Eneloop are good but I've never used them.
Someplace I've read that you shouldn't use lithium batteries in a flash. Hasn't been a problem for me at all.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 08:19:00   #
Bear123
 
Eneloop for sure. They come charged and really hold their charge for my flash. Better than any other rechargeable batteries I've used.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 08:27:53   #
Bill_de (a regular here)
 
Bison Bud wrote:
While rechargeable batteries do provide real cost savings, a new set of good Alkaline batteries should provide longer service than any rechargeable battery can provide in that size. Even with rechargeable batteries in service, I'd keep some Alkaline AA's around for backup service. Their shelf life should be longer too, you just can't recharge them.


Not according to the owner's manuals of my Nikon Speed Lights. As an example the SB800:

Alkaline - recycle time 6 sec - number of shots 130

Ni-MH (2000 mA) -recycle time 4 sec - number of shots 150


Eneloop batteries claim to hold 70% of their charge for 10 years. Some literature says store them up to 3 years for full charge. No need for Alkaline as backup. IMHO

--

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 08:30:58   #
techwolf
 
Another Yahoo for Eneloop. That is all I use in my flash. Love them. They last much longer than alkaline.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 09:27:37   #
jradose
 
[quote=Gene51]Some speed lights have the capacity to use an external battery. Which one are you using?[/q

I am using a Yongnuo speed light.

| Reply
Jun 10, 2019 09:28:03   #
Scruples (a regular here)
 
jradose wrote:
As most external flashes do, my flash takes 4 AA batteries. The problem is, those batteries die out so quickly. Is there a better battery one can get that will replace those 4 AA batteries?


You can use an external battery pack, if you flash will support one. In that case, get two or three.
You can also carry a boatload of Alkaline Batteries. When they no longer have a charge you can recycle them. We all have to do our part!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.