Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Wide angle lens for a Canon 7 D II
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
May 14, 2019 11:07:31   #
POVDOV
 
I have been torturing myself looking for a well built, picture sharp wide angle lens in 15 mm or lower. It could be a zoom with the low end being 15 mm or lower. Of course I would prefer not to pay L lens premiums if possible. It would be nice to be at least F 2.8 or 4.0. I know I'm a dreamer counting pixels in my sleep. Thanks for any help I can get.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 11:15:27   #
hcmcdole
 
I have the 10-22mm that I paid full price for in its day (about $600), but rarely used it. Ken Rockwell gives glowing reviews on the 10-18mm.


https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1022.htm

| Reply
May 14, 2019 11:22:14   #
| Reply
May 14, 2019 11:24:57   #
ahudina
 
POVDOV wrote:
I have been torturing myself looking for a well built, picture sharp wide angle lens in 15 mm or lower. It could be a zoom with the low end being 15 mm or lower. Of course I would prefer not to pay L lens premiums if possible. It would be nice to be at least F 2.8 or 4.0. I know I'm a dreamer counting pixels in my sleep. Thanks for any help I can get.


I would suggest you consider a Sigma 14 - 24 F 2.8 ART, read the reviews. It is heavy but indicative of the build quality. I use it with a NISI filter holder and NISI filters. I think it is a great combination.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 11:38:14   #
imagemeister (a regular here)
 
POVDOV wrote:
I have been torturing myself looking for a well built, picture sharp wide angle lens in 15 mm or lower. It could be a zoom with the low end being 15 mm or lower. Of course I would prefer not to pay L lens premiums if possible. It would be nice to be at least F 2.8 or 4.0. I know I'm a dreamer counting pixels in my sleep. Thanks for any help I can get.


If you are serious about sharpness you should be looking at primes. All the good/affordable primes I know of are manual focus and full frame - like the 15mm f2.4 Irix. Primes will be cheaper/smaller than a really good zoom.
.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 11:43:25   #
WayneL
 
POVDOV wrote:
I have been torturing myself looking for a well built, picture sharp wide angle lens in 15 mm or lower. It could be a zoom with the low end being 15 mm or lower. Of course I would prefer not to pay L lens premiums if possible. It would be nice to be at least F 2.8 or 4.0. I know I'm a dreamer counting pixels in my sleep. Thanks for any help I can get.


I have a Sigma 10-20 f3.5 on my Pentax, very pleased with it.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 11:45:37   #
pquiggle
 
I have the Canon 10-22 which I like very much. Distortion is fairly low for such a wide zoom and flare is very minimal.


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
May 14, 2019 11:47:08   #
CHG_CANON (a regular here)
 
Having owned both the 17-40L and the EF-S 10-22, I can say they are essentially the same lens in terms of ruggedness and image quality, one just having a red stripe and constant f/4 aperture. Both are widely available used. The other well regarded option is the EF-S 10-18, with the added bonus of IS.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 14:54:57   #
robertjerl (a regular here)
 
Look at the Samyang (South Korean made) brand - they are sold in the US under several brand names and get good reviews.
They make an AF 14 mm ultra wide (means it is not a full fisheye). It is an EF FF lens but works fine on APS-C bodies.
https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/product/product-view.php?seq=147

It is made in several variations and brand names but all the same lens. Prices go from under $400 for the MF up to $700 for the full bore AF version with Rokinon branding. The slightly faster f/2.5 is $800. Brand name 14 mm f/2.8 prices are a lot more with the Sigma $1600 and the Canon $2100.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?setNs=p_PRICE_2%7c1&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c1&sortType=default&ci=274&fct=fct_lens-mount_3316%7ccanon-eos%2bfct_zooms-primes_4389%7cprime-lenses%2bfct_lens-types-for-full-frame-cameras_3321%7cwide%2bfct_fixed-focal-lengths_2207%7c14mm&srtclk=sort&N=4288584247&

I have the older manual focus version and it does a good job. I have used mine on: 6D, 5DIV, 7DII and 80D.

I have also used a Tamron 10-24 (EF mount but an APS-C lens-$499 at B&H) on a 7DII with great results- that one I gave to my daughter when she fell in love with it for use at Cosplay/Anime conventions. I loaned it to her for one event in Dec and didn't see it again for 3 months. Then she wanted to borrow it again in late April so on her birthday May 13th I just gave her the box and papers with a birthday card.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 15:46:50   #
Retired CPO (a regular here)
 
robertjerl wrote:
Look at the Samyang (South Korean made) brand - they are sold in the US under several brand names and get good reviews.
They make an AF 14 mm ultra wide (means it is not a full fisheye). It is an EF FF lens but works fine on APS-C bodies.
https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/product/product-view.php?seq=147

It is made in several variations and brand names but all the same lens. Prices go from under $400 for the MF up to $700 for the full bore AF version with Rokinon branding. The slightly faster f/2.5 is $800. Brand name 14 mm f/2.8 prices are a lot more with the Sigma $1600 and the Canon $2100.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?setNs=p_PRICE_2%7c1&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c1&sortType=default&ci=274&fct=fct_lens-mount_3316%7ccanon-eos%2bfct_zooms-primes_4389%7cprime-lenses%2bfct_lens-types-for-full-frame-cameras_3321%7cwide%2bfct_fixed-focal-lengths_2207%7c14mm&srtclk=sort&N=4288584247&

I have the older manual focus version and it does a good job. I have used mine on: 6D, 5DIV, 7DII and 80D.

I have also used a Tamron 10-24 (EF mount but an APS-C lens-$499 at B&H) on a 7DII with great results- that one I gave to my daughter when she fell in love with it for use at Cosplay/Anime conventions. I loaned it to her for one event in Dec and didn't see it again for 3 months. Then she wanted to borrow it again in late April so on her birthday May 13th I just gave her the box and papers with a birthday card.
Look at the Samyang (South Korean made) brand - th... (show quote)


Yep...Daddy's little girl. They get expensive don't they?

| Reply
May 14, 2019 16:39:10   #
robertjerl (a regular here)
 
Retired CPO wrote:
Yep...Daddy's little girl. They get expensive don't they?


Yes, and she is our baby, youngest at 25 on May 13th.
Expensive - UCLA Pre-Med we paid the freight but at University of Virginia for Medical School between a large scholarship, grants and her own Federal Loans we just pay for her car, auto insurance and one credit card for buying groceries etc. She has until next May on my health insurance then it will be just under $400 a month to continue her on the top end Kaiser health plan I now have - I checked. She says she may just enroll in the UVA student plan and re-activate her Kaiser when/if she comes back to CA or some other state with Kaiser. (All the Kaiser's in VA are around DC and a 1 1/2 hour drive for her.) Kaiser has a decade of her medical records etc in their integrated computer system plus she did a research internship for a Kaiser Surgeon in the one year break to apply and interview for med school between UCLA and UVA. She was given a choice of dress-up or scrubs when working in the labs and hospital research library. She picked scrubs and her ID/name badge just gave her name and said Orthopedics Intern. So people kept calling her Doctor thinking she was an MD Intern - she got a kick out of that and looks forward making it correct. I look forward to calling her "Dr Kitten" but absolutely do not want to need her services - she is aiming at Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 19:18:47   #
POVDOV
 
Thanks everyone for your help. Still chewing it over but will decide soon.

| Reply
May 14, 2019 20:19:50   #
imagemeister (a regular here)
 
imagemeister wrote:
If you are serious about sharpness you should be looking at primes. All the good/affordable primes I know of are manual focus and full frame - like the 15mm f2.4 Irix. Primes will be cheaper/smaller than a really good zoom.
.


The Irix - https://kenrockwell.com/tech/irix/15mm.htm
.

| Reply
May 15, 2019 06:23:22   #
sb (a regular here)
 
That's not a hard question at all. The Canon 10-18mm is reportedly as good as the 10-22, but lighter in weight AND price. The Canon 10-22mm has always been the gold standard for their APS-C line. It has always been considered to have "L"-quality build and glass, but they do not use that designation on EFs lenses.

Examples: http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-221396-1.html

| Reply
May 15, 2019 06:56:05   #
POVDOV
 
Thanks, I'll give it a look

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.