Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
How to Stop Robo SalesCalls
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Apr 14, 2019 08:13:33   #
cschonwalder
 
OK, you folks are a very smart slice of the world population. Do you have anything that stops them cold? I have tried a couple of systems here in the USA (noMoRobo and an app for my iPhone) but they just keep coming.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:22:42   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Nope, not yet. SO ANNOYING!!!
Some theorize that it may be because they are using VIOP and the systems cannot intercept the calls.

P.S. - From your title, I thought you were going to tell me how to stop them...........

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:24:35   #
foxfirerodandgun
 
If you have a Verizon land line, when you answer one of these calls, and while the call is active, quickly press*60 and hang up. If you happen to block a number that you did not want to block then press *80 to unblock it. If that number calls again it will only ring once and something like "Line In Use" will appear on the caller ID screen if you have that option.

If you have an Android cell phone, after you end a call, go to details, block number, bolh number on the pop up and that number is blocked. Hope this helps. It works great for me.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:27:40   #
Tom DePuy (a regular here)
 
Do away with the landline and then cancel the cell phone....Walla no more ro-bo calls....

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:30:18   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
foxfirerodandgun wrote:
If you have a Verizon land line, when you answer one of these calls, and while the call is active, quickly press*60 and hang up. If you happen to block a number that you did not want to block then press *80 to unblock it. If that number calls again it will only ring once and something like "Line In Use" will appear on the caller ID screen if you have that option.

If you have an Android cell phone, after you end a call, go to details, block number, bolh number on the pop up and that number is blocked. Hope this helps. It works great for me.
If you have a Verizon land line, when you answer o... (show quote)

Wouldn't that work only if you are paying for the blocking service???

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:32:44   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
Do away with the landline and then cancel the cell phone....Walla no more ro-bo calls....


Haha - don't be so sure..... I get a few on my cell, which I can block, and is USUALLY a spoofed number.
So in that case, you're blocking someone who really didn't call you. (I always Google the number.)

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:33:09   #
foxfirerodandgun
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
Do away with the landline and then cancel the cell phone....Walla no more ro-bo calls....


I would toss the land line if I didn't need a FAX machine. Many lives seem to revolve around cell phones. I just don't understand how we ever survived without them. Similar to AC. How did we ever survive the heat and humidity without it? Especially here in the HOT & HUMID South!!

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:34:47   #
foxfirerodandgun
 
Longshadow wrote:
Wouldn't that work only if you are paying for the blocking service???


No blocking service required. It is a free Verizon feature.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:35:26   #
1Feathercrest
 
Walla? You are phonetically pronouncing a French term "Voilla".

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:37:26   #
foxfirerodandgun
 
Longshadow wrote:
Haha - don't be so sure..... I get a few on my cell, which I can block, and is USUALLY a spoofed number.
So in that case, you're blocking someone who really didn't call you. (I always Google the number.)


But that spoofed number will be blocked. Another number one or two digits either way may call again, then just block it. Eventually that source of the calls will cease. As I mentioned, it works for me.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:41:12   #
nospambob
 
Don't need to ditch the land line. Just unplug it when you don't wannabe disturbed....

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 08:45:13   #
tradio (a regular here)
 
I have wrote two letters to the AG and all I get is a reply to be careful of scams.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 09:00:38   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
foxfirerodandgun wrote:
No blocking service required. It is a free Verizon feature.


Cool!!! I did not know that. Thanks!
I have the bare bones minimum on the land line ($25 a month - local) and use the cell for long distance (unlimited).
Why pay twice for the same service.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 09:05:57   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
foxfirerodandgun wrote:
But that spoofed number will be blocked. Another number one or two digits either way may call again, then just block it. Eventually that source of the calls will cease. As I mentioned, it works for me.


I don't know how often, but they probably change the spoofed number on a regular basis.
One of my friends had to change his number because someone spoofed it.....

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 12:14:54   #
pmorin
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
Do away with the landline and then cancel the cell phone....Walla no more ro-bo calls....


Yea, No not so much. Cell or LL makes no difference. The only way I stop them on my IPhone is to turn on Do Not Disturb in the settings menu. All the calls from my contacts come through ok but the robots go right to voice mail and I never hear the ring.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.