Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Macro Lenses - 30mm, 60mm, 90mm, 180mm - which is best? what has been your experience?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 next>>
Apr 13, 2019 12:53:02   #
Chris T (a regular here)
 
nimbushopper wrote:
Then I don't understand your question.


Okay, then, Nimbu … I suppose it's time for a rehash, then … this is your ACTUAL statement:

"But you give up some depth of field with the longer focal length." … correct?

To which, my response - was, more or less - what DOF do you sacrifice with longer lengths?

My longer Macro - provides f-stops out to f32 - which implies you have the capability of GREATER DOF - no?

Not that one should use f32, as, undoubtedly, diffraction will set in, then - and make the pics LESS sharp.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 13:01:14   #
nimbushopper (a regular here)
 
Chris T wrote:
Okay, then, Nimbu … I suppose it's time for a rehash, then … this is your ACTUAL statement:

"But you give up some depth of field with the longer focal length." … correct?

To which, my response - was, more or less - what DOF do you sacrifice with longer lengths?

My longer Macro - provides f-stops out to f32 - which implies you have the capability of GREATER DOF - no?

Not that one should use f32, as, undoubtedly, diffraction will set in, then - and make the pics LESS sharp.
Okay, then, Nimbu … I suppose it's time for a reha... (show quote)


Ok Chris, I'm going to try and give you my complete explanation, but it has to wait until I get back to my desktop computer as typing on the smart phone is too frustrating! Please be patient, I will PM you later.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 13:03:55   #
Chris T (a regular here)
 
nimbushopper wrote:
Ok Chris, I'm going to try and give you my complete explanation, but it has to wait until I get back to my desktop computer as typing on the smart phone is too frustrating! Please be patient, I will PM you later.


Sure, Nimbu … take your time, My Friend …


| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 13:14:35   #
jeweler53
 
Introducing f stops (another variable) into the discussion is simply confusing. Simply stated, DOF is dependent on magnification. That statement assumes the f stop is the same on both lenses. If I use my 55 at f 8 and my 105 at f 8, and the subject magnification is the same, the DOF is the same. Only the perspective changes. Of course if I use a different f stop on the 2 lenses the DOF will be different.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 13:42:08   #
Gene51 (a regular here)
 
Chris T wrote:
Is it really necessary for us to buy one in each range? Or, are just one or two suitable for most things? If you use them - please advise as to which length is better suited for YOUR purposes, and why you chose it.


They are task specific. No one lens suits all purposes.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 14:30:10   #
Chris T (a regular here)
 
Gene51 wrote:
They are task specific. No one lens suits all purposes.


Yes, well … the point here, Gene - was to discover which length of Macro folks feel is better suited to which purposes. And, to try and establish whether just one or two will work for most purposes, rather than four.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 14:30:21   #
User ID (a regular here)
 
`
Chris T wrote:

Is it really necessary for us to buy one in
each range? Or, are just one or two suitable
for most things? If you use them - please
advise as to which length is better suited for
YOUR purposes, and why you chose it.


I don't usually buy things ... mostly,
things have just been here since the
paleolithic era. I have, and use, all
the lenses in question. They are are
all useful, in use on all 3 of common
formats. But the 90 is the BEST, for
ALL 3 formats. Go figger ....

As to the reason WHY the 90 is best,
that is just something folks will hafta
take on faith. Offering a reason why,
around here, is rather pointless.


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 14:32:37   #
Chris T (a regular here)
 
jeweler53 wrote:
Introducing f stops (another variable) into the discussion is simply confusing. Simply stated, DOF is dependent on magnification. That statement assumes the f stop is the same on both lenses. If I use my 55 at f 8 and my 105 at f 8, and the subject magnification is the same, the DOF is the same. Only the perspective changes. Of course if I use a different f stop on the 2 lenses the DOF will be different.


Thereyago, yasee, Jeweler - you've just disproved your own point. Change the f-stop, not only does the perspective change, but the DOF changes ….

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 14:46:23   #
Chris T (a regular here)
 
User ID wrote:
`


I don't usually buy things ... mostly,
things have just been here since the
paleolithic era. I have, and use, all
the lenses in question. They are are
all useful, in use on all 3 of common
formats. But the 90 is the BEST, for
ALL 3 formats. Go figger ....

As to the reason WHY the 90 is best,
that is just something folks will hafta
take on faith. Offering a reason why,
around here, is rather pointless.


Very nice, there, User … based on these, I'm inclined to agree with you. But, I still think there's some value in something shorter, PLUS, something at TWICE the length. I suspect, if you ONLY use ONE Macro - the 90 is as good a compromise as any, though ….

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 15:30:06   #
RichardTaylor (a regular here)
 
Chris T wrote:
Thereyago, yasee, Jeweler - you've just disproved your own point. Change the f-stop, not only does the perspective change, but the DOF changes ….


This statement is not entirely correct. Changing the f stop does NOT change the perpective, if the subject distance remains the same.
Changing the subject distance will change the perspective which is what happens when you use different lenses keeping the same magnification.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 15:41:40   #
Chris T (a regular here)
 
RichardTaylor wrote:
This statement is not entirely correct. Changing the f stop does NOT change the perpective, if the subject distance remains the same.
Changing the subject distance will change the perspective which is what happens when you use different lenses keeping the same magnification.


It was a rushed response, Richard … changing lenses changes perspective … whilst changing f-stop, of course - changes DOF. But, there has to be a difference, with the latter - using different lenses, too …

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 15:56:48   #
kskarma
 
Some years back, Nikon made a very useful Macro lens...it was a 70-180mm lens and I've found mine to be extremely handy and super sharp. Having this zoom range gives a lot more options in the wide variety of situations where a macro lens is most useful. This lens is still readily available in the used market, but is not cheap...

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 16:19:55   #
Chris T (a regular here)
 
kskarma wrote:
Some years back, Nikon made a very useful Macro lens...it was a 70-180mm lens and I've found mine to be extremely handy and super sharp. Having this zoom range gives a lot more options in the wide variety of situations where a macro lens is most useful. This lens is still readily available in the used market, but is not cheap...


Sounds interesting, but it couldn't possibly have been 1:1 - could, it, now, KS?

Sigma has the very handy 70-300 APO Macro, of course … but it only really gets serious at 200mm. Although you can use Macro at any point up to 300 - the most you will get there is 1:2.9 ….

Have two - one for Nikon, and one for EOS … they're both fantastic … but, no stabilization, of course …

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 16:34:17   #
nimbushopper (a regular here)
 
Macro is identified as a photo taken at a magnification of 1:1 or greater. I don't believe Nikon ever made a true macro zoom(even if they call it a macro). For example, I have a nikon 28-105 macro zoom, but it's only capable of about 1:3 magnification at its closest focusing distance. I would call it a close focusing zoom.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 17:11:28   #
jeweler53
 
70-180mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-D Micro-NIKKOR

1:1.32 at 180mm (Use a 6T close-up lens for 1:1)

Sounds like a nifty addition to my bag!

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.