Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
grapes in a glass
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Apr 12, 2019 21:39:31   #
Wuligal (a regular here)
 
I don't have a real light box but a kitchen ceiling light with an extension cord as the electrical connection worked just fine. The base for the photo is a glass plate turned upside down. I used a touch of the oil paint filter in Photoshop. The "light box" was the only light source.
100 Macro lens. f/22, 5 second exposure.


(Download)

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 06:41:34   #
leahruth
 
Love it

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 07:51:43   #
Linda From Maine (a regular here)
 
I love it too! The glass plate works beautifully as does the under-side lighting of the arrangement overall. I also love your decision to use a whole lotta grapes Close viewing reveals the pretty painterly effect. No false notes here IMO, thoughtful and engaging work.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 07:54:24   #
Cwilson341 (a regular here)
 
Wow. That is a really nice shot! And that seems like an excellent way to get the lightbox effect at a reasonable price.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 08:10:34   #
NJFrank (a regular here)
 
What many say about photography it is not about the gear it is about the shooter. Very nice composition and lighting. The grapes look good enough to eat.
I made a simple light setup using PVC piping, a white bath drape and some lights from Home Depot.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 08:12:30   #
Jim-Pops (a regular here)
 
Next time you do this I think many of us would like to see the set up. Maybe you could take another picture with your cell phone of the room light and camera set up. I think your picture came out very good. I can't figure out the total set up as described but have a question, could you have use a white board and bounce some light on to the top back grapes? Not sure it is a deal breaker but just wondering how much flexibility you have with your set up?
Don't take any of this as a negative you have a wonderful shot with outstanding creativity.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 08:53:01   #
pesfls (a regular here)
 
Nicely done. I like your effort.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 09:14:32   #
Wuligal (a regular here)
 
Jim-Pops wrote:
Next time you do this I think many of us would like to see the set up. Maybe you could take another picture with your cell phone of the room light and camera set up. I think your picture came out very good. I can't figure out the total set up as described but have a question, could you have use a white board and bounce some light on to the top back grapes? Not sure it is a deal breaker but just wondering how much flexibility you have with your set up?
Don't take any of this as a negative you have a wonderful shot with outstanding creativity.
Next time you do this I think many of us would lik... (show quote)


You are right about using the light board. I thought about it after all was said and done. Thank you for suggestions.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 09:34:46   #
kenievans (a regular here)
 
Very nice job with the lighting. Still life lighting to me is difficult and this looks great. Thank you for sharing.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 19:04:13   #
abc1234
 
I definitely do not like the oil paint effect. If I want to see oils, I go to the Art Institute of Chicago. I feel the grapes are overexposed in general but those on top are too dark. I would also have opened up to perhaps f/8 or 11. At f/22, you do indeed get more depth of field but you probably do not need it here. It will also decrease lens sharpness noticeably. Another approach is with a lens of perhaps 200 mm or longer set up much further from the grapes. I wonder if the object was large enough that the lens was not really at a macro distance.

I would have also placed the camera a little higher. Using the makeshift lighting, clear plate and black background were all very good touches. I look forward to reading your comments.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 23:27:49   #
Wuligal (a regular here)
 
hello abc1234,
Thank you for taking the time to critique the grape photo. I appreciate your suggestions and input and agree with most of what you had to say, especially the lack of top/side lighting. Because the whole thing was a five minute test shot to try out a crazy light contraption I really didn't pay attention to anything technical. By the way -there was no black background -just some dirty supper dishes and ambient light from three windows. I hid that mess with the f/22 (pretty lazy, eh!) and tried to disguise the cheap plastic grapes with the painterly effect.
Okay, the truth is out. I'm in this for fun and laughs and consider it a good day if I get my camera off program.

| Reply
Apr 13, 2019 23:41:55   #
abc1234
 
Wuligal wrote:
hello abc1234,
Thank you for taking the time to critique the grape photo. I appreciate your suggestions and input and agree with most of what you had to say, especially the lack of top/side lighting. Because the whole thing was a five minute test shot to try out a crazy light contraption I really didn't pay attention to anything technical. By the way -there was no black background -just some dirty supper dishes and ambient light from three windows. I hid that mess with the f/22 (pretty lazy, eh!) and tried to disguise the cheap plastic grapes with the painterly effect.
Okay, the truth is out. I'm in this for fun and laughs and consider it a good day if I get my camera off program.
hello abc1234, br Thank you for taking the time to... (show quote)


You were on a slippery rock with this one so we will have to hang you from the nearest grapevine. Actually, f/22 does not hide the mess because of the greater depth of field. That reinforces using something like f/8. But I do like your spontaneity and ingenuity.

PS Next time, use real grapes.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 05:30:24   #
nanaval (a regular here)
 
Very good, I like the way you have the trailing down on one side...

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 12:16:40   #
Wuligal (a regular here)
 
Thank you to the fine folks that took the time to comment on the "grape" photo. I only wish all of you could have shared in the really important aspect of my first light box attempt.....all the laughs and giggles and shoulder shrugs and "oh well's"! To me that's the real joy of photography.

| Reply
Apr 14, 2019 13:29:40   #
Linda From Maine (a regular here)
 
Wuligal wrote:
...all the laughs and giggles and shoulder shrugs and "oh well's"! To me that's the real joy of photography.
Many of us can relate Thanks for posting to PP Forum!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.