Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Camera Purchase
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Apr 6, 2019 18:09:53   #
RichA
 
Hi Folks,
I'm taking photos at student concerts, shooting from 20 feet to 50 feet away. I'm choosing between a Sony a6400 or a Canon EOS M50 - I need the mirrorless to avoid the clicking during concerts. I'm an amateur - my grandson is helping me learn to manually set the ios, f stop etc but I'm a rank beginner.

Two questions: which camera do you recommend for a beginner and which lens should I buy for the long (50 feet) shots to get a violinist for example in a portrait shot? I'm getting different advice about whether 200mm will do or will I need a 300mm lens?

Thanks in Advance!

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 18:14:51   #
LWW (a regular here)
 
RichA wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm taking photos at student concerts, shooting from 20 feet to 50 feet away. I'm choosing between a Sony a6400 or a Canon EOS M50 - I need the mirrorless to avoid the clicking during concerts. I'm an amateur - my grandson is helping me learn to manually set the ios, f stop etc but I'm a rank beginner.

Two questions: which camera do you recommend for a beginner and which lens should I buy for the long (50 feet) shots to get a violinist for example in a portrait shot? I'm getting different advice about whether 200mm will do or will I need a 300mm lens?

Thanks in Advance!
Hi Folks, br I'm taking photos at student concerts... (show quote)


Something along the lines of a 70-200 f2.8 will be the gold standard for indoor concerts ... and I doubt the shutter noise will be an issue.

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 18:20:04   #
LPigott
 
You might look at the new Canon mirrorless, the RP ...

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 18:20:56   #
davyboy (a regular here)
 
RichA wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm taking photos at student concerts, shooting from 20 feet to 50 feet away. I'm choosing between a Sony a6400 or a Canon EOS M50 - I need the mirrorless to avoid the clicking during concerts. I'm an amateur - my grandson is helping me learn to manually set the ios, f stop etc but I'm a rank beginner.

Two questions: which camera do you recommend for a beginner and which lens should I buy for the long (50 feet) shots to get a violinist for example in a portrait shot? I'm getting different advice about whether 200mm will do or will I need a 300mm lens?

Thanks in Advance!
Hi Folks, br I'm taking photos at student concerts... (show quote)


Panasonic G85 100-300 or 100-400

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 18:27:23   #
LWW (a regular here)
 
something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Light-Room-Photo-Studio-Photography-Lighting-Tent-Kit-Backdrop-Cube-Mini-Box/232472327577?hash=item36206e3599:g:9rkAAOSwcRNZqPO7

with a used DSLR of 6mp or so and a kit lens will both do the job and fit the the budget.

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 18:33:07   #
rfmaude41
 
LWW wrote:
something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Light-Room-Photo-Studio-Photography-Lighting-Tent-Kit-Backdrop-Cube-Mini-Box/232472327577?hash=item36206e3599:g:9rkAAOSwcRNZqPO7

with a used DSLR of 6mp or so and a kit lens will both do the job and fit the the budget.


And how do you shoot a CONCERT with that outfit ?????

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 18:34:10   #
LWW (a regular here)
 
rfmaude41 wrote:
And how do you shoot a CONCERT with that outfit ?????


OOOOPS ... wrong thread.

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 19:04:13   #
zug55
 
Both cameras are cropped sensor (APS-C) cameras, so a zoom lens going to 200mm (300mm full-frame equivalent) should do.

There are two strikes against the Canon EOS M50. (1) It uses a Canon EF-M lens mount. There is a limited number of lenses available for that mount. (2) It is unclear if Canon will develop more models and lenses for this mount as they came up with a different mount for their full-frame mirrorless camera.

The Sony a6400, on the other hand, uses the Sony F-mount that is used by both cropped-sensor and full-frame cameras. There are lots of lenses for this camera (both APS-C and full frame). The Sony also has a better sensor and focusing system and arguably is the better camera. The 18-135mm kit lens may work for well for you. I think that it will be long enough for a distance of 20-50 feet.

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 19:12:22   #
RichardTaylor (a regular here)
 
RichA wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm taking photos at student concerts, shooting from 20 feet to 50 feet away. I'm choosing between a Sony a6400 or a Canon EOS M50 - I need the mirrorless to avoid the clicking during concerts. I'm an amateur - my grandson is helping me learn to manually set the ios, f stop etc but I'm a rank beginner.

Two questions: which camera do you recommend for a beginner and which lens should I buy for the long (50 feet) shots to get a violinist for example in a portrait shot? I'm getting different advice about whether 200mm will do or will I need a 300mm lens?

Thanks in Advance!
Hi Folks, br I'm taking photos at student concerts... (show quote)


I shoot classical music concerts, from usually the front row, and using two bodies, a 24-80mm f/2.8 (35mm FOV) for the wider shots sand a 80-300mm f2.8 (35m FOV) for the details and portraits.
Try to get to dress rehearsals as you have a lot of freedom of movement as there is no audience. It also gives you a chance to know your subject(s) better and fine tune your technique.

Check, with the organisers, to see if photogragraphy is allowed during concerts.

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 19:26:01   #
catchlight..
 
Lens can be of little concern.

All I had with me was the other day was my silent Leaf Shutter X100F Fuji with it's fixed 23mm lens. Great walk around, and a true secret weapon for indoor low light.


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 19:30:10   #
User ID (a regular here)
 
LWW wrote:
something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Light-Room-Photo-Studio-Photography-Lighting-Tent-Kit-Backdrop-Cube-Mini-Box/232472327577?hash=item36206e3599:g:9rkAAOSwcRNZqPO7

with a used DSLR of 6mp or so and a kit lens will both do the job and fit the the budget.


Waaaaay too loud

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 19:45:37   #
papaluv4gd
 
OMG. people listen to that stuff?

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 19:48:10   #
User ID (a regular here)
 
`

zug55 wrote:
.........

The Sony a6400, .........
I think that it will be long enough for
a distance of 20-50 feet.


Where "1X" is a FL equal to the long
side of the format, a 1X lens has a
FoV equal to the subject distance.

The long side of APSC is about 24mm
so a 135 is about a 6X lens. The FoV
will be 1/6X of the subject distance.
At 42ft distance, thaz a 7ft FoV. IOW
if you need a portrait, it will be a full
body portrait, subject standing up.

Sooooo, the 135 is too short at 42ft.
At 21ft, the 135 frames a half-body
portrait .... prolly just right with a bit
of cropping.

To get that same half-body framing
at double the subject distance, just
double the FL. IOW this is work for a
100-300 zoom, with minor cropping.

.

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 20:00:20   #
Wingpilot (a regular here)
 
zug55 wrote:
Both cameras are cropped sensor (APS-C) cameras, so a zoom lens going to 200mm (300mm full-frame equivalent) should do.

There are two strikes against the Canon EOS M50. (1) It uses a Canon EF-M lens mount. There is a limited number of lenses available for that mount. (2) It is unclear if Canon will develop more models and lenses for this mount as they came up with a different mount for their full-frame mirrorless camera.

The Sony a6400, on the other hand, uses the Sony F-mount that is used by both cropped-sensor and full-frame cameras. There are lots of lenses for this camera (both APS-C and full frame). The Sony also has a better sensor and focusing system and arguably is the better camera. The 18-135mm kit lens may work for well for you. I think that it will be long enough for a distance of 20-50 feet.
Both cameras are cropped sensor (APS-C) cameras, s... (show quote)


Not to be picky, but that's actually the Sony E-mount. Keys are close together on the keyboard. 😁

| Reply
Apr 6, 2019 20:04:36   #
zug55
 
Wingpilot wrote:
Not to be picky, but that's actually the Sony E-mount. Keys are close together on the keyboard. 😁


My bad. Yes, Sony E-mount. Sometimes Sony full-frame lenses are referred to as FE--so I had a momentary senior moment.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.