Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
opinions please
Page: 1 2 next>>
Apr 1, 2019 23:52:10   #
Nalu Loc: Southern Arizona
 
I like this, but wish the male were a bit to the right to separate the male from the background female. But otherwise I like the soft foreground and background. Just curious from you guys. Appreciate the feedback.


(Download)

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 08:21:56   #
nospambob Loc: Edmond, Oklahoma
 
I like it like it is, helps with the 3d.

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 09:09:05   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
IMO, The foreground is a bit distracting and/or, does not ADD anything and therefore, clutters up the image. I am an old school purist.

..

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 11:08:19   #
jeep_daddy Loc: Prescott AZ
 
A different crop will help a lot. You need to bring the foreground duck closer and loose the one on the right. I would crop it for you but some people get really PO when I mess with their images.

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 11:17:26   #
Nalu Loc: Southern Arizona
 
jeep_daddy wrote:
A different crop will help a lot. You need to bring the foreground duck closer and loose the one on the right. I would crop it for you but some people get really PO when I mess with their images.


Go for it. I would like to see your perspective.

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 13:50:16   #
jeep_daddy Loc: Prescott AZ
 
Nalu wrote:
Go for it. I would like to see your perspective.


Closer crop and a little sharpening, add a little vignette, and a little spot removal..


(Download)

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 15:30:24   #
Nalu Loc: Southern Arizona
 
jeep_daddy wrote:
Closer crop and a little sharpening, add a little vignette, and a little spot removal..


I like it. Thanks!

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 16:44:04   #
photogeneralist Loc: Lopez Island Washington State
 
A photo video guru promotes leaving twice the space above the subject as below it. To my surprise, it seems to work. So I cropped from the bottom and from he right side to eliminate the eyesnag of the right most duck. The light area on the left border has enough visual weight to balance the male duck and the duck is not doing a frame break faceplant into the left edge (Has room to move into)

Just another take on cropping with a bit of "why?" thrown in.

Thanks for allowing others to post their edits. It makes it so much easier than trying to describe with words.


(Download)

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 18:15:12   #
Nalu Loc: Southern Arizona
 
photogeneralist wrote:
A photo video guru promotes leaving twice the space above the subject as below it. To my surprise, it seems to work. So I cropped from the bottom and from he right side to eliminate the eyesnag of the right most duck. The light area on the left border has enough visual weight to balance the male duck and the duck is not doing a frame break faceplant into the left edge (Has room to move into)

Just another take on cropping with a bit of "why?" thrown in.

Thanks for allowing others to post their edits. It makes it so much easier than trying to describe with words.
A photo video guru promotes leaving twice the spac... (show quote)


Appreciate your input. This is not some Natures Best candidate so I appreciate other perspectives in trying to make the best presentation. IMO, your crop has the subject, the male, a bit too far to the right, but again, each to their own.

I always appreciate constructive criticism. Helps one evaluate his/hers own thinking.

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 21:11:35   #
davidrb Loc: Hangar i13
 
Nalu wrote:
I like this, but wish the male were a bit to the right to separate the male from the background female. But otherwise I like the soft foreground and background. Just curious from you guys. Appreciate the feedback.


Frank, your depth of field has the male nailed, nice job. Too bad the female cut into your composition. I agree, the softness accents the sharp-focused male. What lens allowed you to control the focus field so well? BTW, our snow has melted and the 400 DO II finally gets to go outside to play tomorrow. It's been busy inside since it arrived. Thanx.

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 22:00:05   #
Nalu Loc: Southern Arizona
 
davidrb wrote:
Frank, your depth of field has the male nailed, nice job. Too bad the female cut into your composition. I agree, the softness accents the sharp-focused male. What lens allowed you to control the focus field so well? BTW, our snow has melted and the 400 DO II finally gets to go outside to play tomorrow. It's been busy inside since it arrived. Thanx.


Hi David,

Glad you are enjoying the DOII. Sorry about the snow, but you need to get your parka and gloves on and get some birds in the snow. RE the lens, that's my new Sony 400mm GM 2.8 with a 1.4 on it (560mm) at f/4. It took me 4 months to get, but I am enjoying it so far. A bit heavier than the DOII, but considering its a 2.8, I can shoot a stop faster than the DOII. Your trip should be coming up soon. Bet you are drooling. Did you see my eagles?

| Reply
Apr 2, 2019 22:29:05   #
davidrb Loc: Hangar i13
 
Nalu wrote:
Hi David,

Glad you are enjoying the DOII. Sorry about the snow, but you need to get your parka and gloves on and get some birds in the snow. RE the lens, that's my new Sony 400mm GM 2.8 with a 1.4 on it (560mm) at f/4. It took me 4 months to get, but I am enjoying it so far. A bit heavier than the DOII, but considering its a 2.8, I can shoot a stop faster than the DOII. Your trip should be coming up soon. Bet you are drooling. Did you see my eagles?


No Frank, I did not see your eagles. Please direct me so I may do so. You would win that bet, but time will fly now that I can get outside.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2019 03:38:53   #
Nalu Loc: Southern Arizona
 
davidrb wrote:
No Frank, I did not see your eagles. Please direct me so I may do so. You would win that bet, but time will fly now that I can get outside.


Just look at my topics on the hog. want to see some images with the DOII.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2019 13:46:19   #
Pysanka Artist Loc: Rochester, NY
 
I think it's great!! A lot of times you get what you get!

| Reply
Apr 3, 2019 15:22:15   #
photogeneralist Loc: Lopez Island Washington State
 
Nalu wrote:
Appreciate your input. This is not some Natures Best candidate so I appreciate other perspectives in trying to make the best presentation. IMO, your crop has the subject, the male, a bit too far to the right, but again, each to their own.

I always appreciate constructive criticism. Helps one evaluate his/hers own thinking.


RE "IMO, your crop has the subject, the male, a bit too far to the right, but again, each to their own."
Agreed! I felt constrained in my crop by the "necessity" of not showing the female duck to the right and above the male. Therefore my too tight crop of the male putting him too far to the right. Then I thought to myself "Photogeneralist , you dummy. If the presence of the rightmost duck is limiting you, just remove that duck so you can crop more as you wish." I did and I did.
Here's my offering.


(Download)

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.