Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
I Need to Buy a Drone
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Mar 22, 2019 15:02:01   #
pdsilen
 
I do real estate photography. And the bulk of my work involves acerage, farm land, subdivisions, oil fields, etc. Therefore I need to invest in a drone. Do any of you folks have any suggestions as to what brand, ease (or difficulty of operation), FAA requirements, or anything else I need to know? Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 15:25:31   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
When I saw the word "Need" in your title, my first thought was to substitute "Want," but you have a perfect use in mind for a drone.

The word "best" often has a high price associated with it, but here are some "Best Drones."

https://www.pcmag.com/g00/roundup/337251/the-best-drones?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/best-drones/
https://www.dronethusiast.com/best-drones-with-cameras/

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 15:38:46   #
Country Boy (a regular here)
 
I was interested in purchasing one a month ago to help my friend with real estate photos and read a post that said that if you purchase one to play with no license was required but if you use it for anything commercial you must take a class and obtain in a license. I did not follow up on it but figured that if your purpose was to fly over property and people there must be some concern over laws. Lots of luck, they look like fun even if it is for work!

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 15:56:08   #
Shellback
 
pdsilen wrote:
I do real estate photography. And the bulk of my work involves acerage, farm land, subdivisions, oil fields, etc. Therefore I need to invest in a drone. Do any of you folks have any suggestions as to what brand, ease (or difficulty of operation), FAA requirements, or anything else I need to know? Your feedback would be very much appreciated.


FAA FAQ for Drones - must read!!!

I don't have one but reading the reviews and articles I see that technology is making them cheaper and better - can get a lot of info by reading the latest reviews...

Good luck in your search

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 16:00:03   #
photoman022
 
From everything I understand from listening to podcasts and reading online, real estate photography is commercial use and you need a license to fly the drone. The FAA will eventually start coming after people who are not licensed commercial users.

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 16:15:20   #
DirtFarmer (a regular here)
 
If you're flying something over someone's property you will want liability insurance. I would expect that the insurance company would also want to see that you are capable of controlling the drone properly so some sort of license would be needed.

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 17:42:54   #
Dave327
 
To operate a drone for commercial or business purposes you will need a FAA Remote Pilot Certificate (FAA Part 107). Just google “Drone License and it will pull up FAA and any requirements for your state. Having run my own business for 21 years you would definitely want insurance to cover your endeavors and the insurance company would require that you have the proper license.
That said, my brother (a career helicopter pilot) recently purchased a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom ($1220) and the videos he has posted on FB are stunning. It has all kinds of features and the ability to track moving objects. In real estate your could put a box around a house and then circle the property and the camera would stay locked on the house. This is something I am definitely going to seriously look at myself!

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 17:53:36   #
RWR (a regular here)
 
pdsilen wrote:
I do real estate photography. And the bulk of my work involves acerage, farm land, subdivisions, oil fields, etc. Therefore I need to invest in a drone. Do any of you folks have any suggestions as to what brand, ease (or difficulty of operation), FAA requirements, or anything else I need to know? Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

You might want to post in Classifieds: https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/s-6-1.html
or the Drone section: https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/s-124-1.html

| Reply
Mar 22, 2019 20:26:23   #
Bill_de (a regular here)
 
There are probably drone forums where you would get better info.

---

| Reply
Mar 23, 2019 07:20:25   #
Architect1776 (a regular here)
 
photoman022 wrote:
From everything I understand from listening to podcasts and reading online, real estate photography is commercial use and you need a license to fly the drone. The FAA will eventually start coming after people who are not licensed commercial users.



| Reply
Mar 23, 2019 08:01:06   #
jayd
 
King schools, on line 100 dollars +/-. Proctored FAATest 150.00 = 2 year certificate.

If your drone or photo benifits a business it is commercial.

Download air map app for your phone.

Purchase a log book.

Purchase insurance.

Max altitude is 400 tt.

Line of sight flight.

And much more..... part 107 will define limits.

Dji...spark 1080 p 12 mp

Phantom 4 and below he video 12 mp
still

Phantom 4 pro and up 4 k and 20 mp

| Reply
Mar 23, 2019 08:18:19   #
rstrick2
 
I have had several drones, started with toys for practice then moved up to a mavic pro. the DJI models are the best out there in my opinion. I suggest the Mavic Pro 2 as it folds up and can be tucked away. The drones are very controllable, I now have a DJI Phantom model. The web site can provide you with a ray of information



go the DJI store https://store.dji.com/?clickaid=YucS0m72iGzyYu2Qj2GwCLt_XQm-qmry&clickpid=270748&clicksid=c25555e5eb4d201ca77723fa913fc8c1&from=dap_unique&pm=custom

| Reply
Mar 23, 2019 08:19:21   #
David Kay
 
Dave327 wrote:
To operate a drone for commercial or business purposes you will need a FAA Remote Pilot Certificate (FAA Part 107). Just google “Drone License and it will pull up FAA and any requirements for your state. Having run my own business for 21 years you would definitely want insurance to cover your endeavors and the insurance company would require that you have the proper license.
That said, my brother (a career helicopter pilot) recently purchased a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom ($1220) and the videos he has posted on FB are stunning. It has all kinds of features and the ability to track moving objects. In real estate your could put a box around a house and then circle the property and the camera would stay locked on the house. This is something I am definitely going to seriously look at myself!
To operate a drone for commercial or business purp... (show quote)


The FAA test for the Part 107 Certificate requires a lot of study. The test does cost $150.00. If you do not pass the test, you pay another $150.00 to retake it. Plus the cost of instruction, then the cost of insurance and the cost of the drone. You could be talking about $2000,00 to $2500.00 or more. So be prepared. Then in 2 years you have to renew the 107 certificate.

Good Luck.

| Reply
Mar 23, 2019 08:19:41   #
gypsylarry
 
I have a DJI Professional that I have enjoyed for two years. Comes with extra batteries and several other accessories. I am putting it on the market due to the fact that my legs don't work anymore due to surgical complications and infections. If you are interested in a great package and a much reduced price, PM me.

| Reply
Mar 23, 2019 08:33:07   #
lsaguy
 
First you might want to check out FAR 107 to see whether you can comply with federal law and then go from there.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.