Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Beginner
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Mar 14, 2019 12:29:45   #
Breebrown1
 
Hello I just order a Nikon D5500, would appreciate any info. Thanks

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 12:35:32   #
PhotoPhred
 
Good choice. Have fun, take lots of pictures.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 12:53:30   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Welcome to the forum.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 12:58:20   #
Mac (a regular here)
 
Breebrown1 wrote:
Hello I just order a Nikon D5500, would appreciate any info. Thanks


Welcome to UHH.
You don't indicate your level of photographic experience so I will take it that you are a beginner.
A third party manual by someone like David Bush would be good to supplement the owners manual. The owners manual will tell you what each feature does, but a third party manual will go into greater detail.
When you receive your camera sit down with it and all the accessories that come with it and go through your manual(s) and learn your camera.
Don't get caught up in gear acquisition right away. Spend time with your camera and lens(es) that came with it. Shoot as much and possible, then shoot some more.
Put the photos you take on the computer and study them. Determine what you like and and don't like about each picture and learn how to repeat what you like and eliminate what you don't like.
Keep shooting as much as possible.
And most of all, have fun.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 13:12:07   #
rmorrison1116 (a regular here)
 
Welcome to the UHH and the fascinating, fun filled world of photography. The D5500 is a great choice for a beginner DSLR. It's relatively inexpensive (depending on where you bought it), compact, has lots of features, 24 megapixels and a good autofocus system and is quite capable of capturing excellent photos and videos. Another advantage is, there is a huge supply of good used lenses that will work on that camera.
I recommend picking up a book, other than the user manual, like the D5500 for dummies book or one of David Busch's books on the D5500. They will be a great aid to a beginner.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 13:18:38   #
rmorrison1116 (a regular here)
 
Mac wrote:
Welcome to UHH.
You don't indicate your level of photographic experience so I will take it that you are a beginner.
A third party manual by someone like David Bush would be good to supplement the owners manual. The owners manual will tell you what each feature does, but a third party manual will go into greater detail.
When you receive your camera sit down with it and all the accessories that come with it and go through your manual(s) and learn your camera.
Don't get caught up in gear acquisition right away. Spend time with your camera and lens(es) that came with it. Shoot as much and possible, then shoot some more.
Put the photos you take on the computer and study them. Determine what you like and and don't like about each picture and learn how to repeat what you like and eliminate what you don't like.
Keep shooting as much as possible.
And most of all, have fun.
Welcome to UHH. br You don't indicate your level o... (show quote)


The posting title is "Beginner". I totally agree on getting a book other than the manual, but I wouldn't call those books, manuals. They are far more informative and much easier to read than the camera manual.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 13:20:39   #
Mac (a regular here)
 
rmorrison1116 wrote:
The posting title is "Beginner". I totally agree on getting a book other than the manual, but I wouldn't call those books, manuals. They are far more informative and much easier to read than the camera manual.



| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 16:47:09   #
Breebrown1
 
Thanks

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 16:49:44   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Forgot...
I suggest you read the manual, re-read the manual,
re-read the manual while holding the camera,
re-read the manual,
experiment to see how things work.
Enjoy!

(You might want to check out http://digital-photography-school.com/)

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 17:33:45   #
Harry0 (a regular here)
 
AND get on youtube, look up "D5500 Tutorial" and "How to photography" in Search.
You'll be there for a while, and you'll be amazed at what you can learn and do.
But that's the big thing. Do! You don't learn by osmosis.
Learn a button- do it. Menus settings- try it. Do this AND that- make it happen.
This is digital. The electricity involved is infinitesimal. Your time is invaluable. The lessons you learn to do right will help keep you from not doing it wrong. Muscle memory is magic. Have patience.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 21:13:24   #
Vince68 (a regular here)
 
Breebrown1 wrote:
Hello I just order a Nikon D5500, would appreciate any info. Thanks


Youtube has tutorials for your D5500. Here are a couple of beginner ones for you to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMtuhf-HOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR3Lp1sAyk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ZxEHJ-V00

Good luck with your new camera.

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 07:22:08   #
MikeMck
 
Welcome to the forum!

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 08:57:25   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
Welcome to our forum!

You've come to the right place for info! : )

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 10:59:23   #
Earnest Botello (a regular here)
 
Welcome to the Hog, Bree, enjoy.

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 11:20:55   #
PhotoPhred
 
I have had 4 Nikon dslr cameras and I have found the manuals difficult to read. There are aftermarket books for most popular digital cameras. You might also find instructional dvd's for your camera. I found them for the Nikon d3100 and d5100. They were the most helpful.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.