Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
I need some help....PLEASE!
Page <<first <prev 12 of 12
Aug 23, 2012 08:12:08   #
PRETENDER Loc: Micanopy,Florida
 
jackinthebox Have you ever give thought to taking up politics?

Reply
Aug 23, 2012 09:51:19   #
cecilia delacroix Loc: near Seattle
 
Jimberton, I agree with your remark to rent the mk2 series of that 24-70 lens. Also keep in mind (as I'm sure you have) that you may very well have received a so-called "bad copy" of the lens you currently are using. I once received a bad copy of the 24-105L lens whose sharpness couldn't match even my old 28-135mm kit lens! I returned that lens.

Reply
Aug 23, 2012 11:02:39   #
Doe Loc: N, Augusta, South Carolina
 
silver wrote:
Doe wrote:
jimberton wrote:
hooray......

i just got a call from the instructor...as i emailed the address that i booked the seminar............he said he shoots jpg and he has custom picture control settings in his nikon that boosts, sharpen and some noise removal.

he said he would share those settings with me when i get that rental nikon d7000 in my hands. said he uses the 24-70 nikor all the time at f22 when he wants everything in the picture in focus.

he says i will see this when i get my rentals.

he has a canon 1dmk2 that he also uses but said he never had the 24-70mm2.8 L. he has the 24-105 L and shoots with that at f22 with no problems.

he said all lenses have their streghts and weakness.....he said canon lens are weak at both ends but strong in the middle.

he said it's really hard to compare the nikor 24-70 2.8 with canon, sony, or whatever brand, because this is supposedly considered nikors best and sharpest lens..........and that if i can get close to his with f5.6 or f8........i should be satisfied with my canon lens.

he said nikon and canon will never put out the same photo. he said, and here comes the troubling statement from him......canon can put out a great photo...nikon can put out a great photo....they are both different and appeal to people differently. if this is true...as this is all his opinion, then maybe the nikon photo just appeals to me more.

the way i look at it....i will see for myself next week.

he reminded me that i set up the lights at the shoot at the seminar because i was one of the only ones there that had any experience with studio lighting and studio shooting.

oh shoot, i forgot to ask him if he had a filter on his nikon.

anyway...that's where it is right now. at least a little more info to give you all.

thjis has been a tuff couple of days for me.

i will post photos next week.
hooray...... br br i just got a call from the ins... (show quote)


I have read ever post on this thread and as many know, I am new to photography and know very little about all the details you all are talking about. I have no knowledge in physics but I think in a common sense manner. I know I am going to be wrong, but I can't help wondering in my simple thinking why if the instructor originally took the photos in Jpeg that you wouldn't already expect them to be sharper/clearer when printed out right away? RAW pictures won't print out on a printer, isn't that right? So, my question is, have you taken any shoots with everything the same, including taking them in Jpeg?
quote=jimberton hooray...... br br i just got a ... (show quote)


I print raw files every day. There is no reason why you cant print a raw file. Raw files are the complete file off of the camera sensor and they will have the most information therefore they are the best files. Jpegs are subject to default compressions from camera software. Jpegs are good files, nothing wrong with them but they do not have the information that is in a raw file.
quote=Doe quote=jimberton hooray...... br br i ... (show quote)


I learn something new every time I'm on this forum. I had no idea raw files could be printed. I guess I need to look for the print option again. I do almost always shoot in raw, but they don't look near as good straight out of the camera as the jpeg does. I always have to adjust them. Which made me think that the instructor was shooting in jeps, which is what the OP found out later. Did he say whether he tried shooting it in jpeg to see if that made any difference? I may have missed that post......

Reply
 
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:21:06   #
jimberton Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
 
cecilia delacroix wrote:
Jimberton, I agree with your remark to rent the mk2 series of that 24-70 lens. Also keep in mind (as I'm sure you have) that you may very well have received a so-called "bad copy" of the lens you currently are using. I once received a bad copy of the 24-105L lens whose sharpness couldn't match even my old 28-135mm kit lens! I returned that lens.


yep..i borrowed 2 other canon L lens 24-70 from friends and got the same results.

Reply
Jan 14, 2013 00:51:53   #
PhotoGator Loc: Florida
 
I just read this whole thing today. We all were taken on a ride with jimberton wrong approach to the entire problem.
He started by trying to replicate an outcome without having all the parameters to begin with. 12 pages of an exercise in futility because he failed to gather all the facts before embarking all of us in this journey to nowhere.

Reply
Jan 14, 2013 11:15:27   #
stevenelson Loc: Pauls Valley, Oklahoma
 
Jackinthebox wrote:
Nikonian72 wrote:
Jackinthebox wrote:
I just tuned in to this topic and scanned thru the postings. The more I read the more bogus it all sounds.
The op has mostly been credible before but perhaps needs to listen to his wife on this one.
Do you really have the previous experience claimed and attend a paid siminar and come away so messed up? Something is bogus.
E-W! There you are! We wondered when you would return. Hate & discontent, as usual. By the way, proper spelling is seminar.
quote=Jackinthebox I just tuned in to this topic ... (show quote)


Nikonian72 The Hate & discontent all come from you. thanks for the spelling lesson.
BTW how can one turn on a spell checker in the reply section?
quote=Nikonian72 quote=Jackinthebox I just tuned... (show quote)


Use google chrome. It does spellcheck.

Reply
Jan 14, 2013 14:38:32   #
jimberton Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
 
PhotoGator wrote:
I just read this whole thing today. We all were taken on a ride with jimberton wrong approach to the entire problem.
He started by trying to replicate an outcome without having all the parameters to begin with. 12 pages of an exercise in futility because he failed to gather all the facts before embarking all of us in this journey to nowhere.


photogator..you are an ass. although i could make a ton of money off you...by buying you for what you are worth and selling you for what you think you're worth.

i did get the problem solved and i was trying to let everyone know what happened a long the way.

the only way i could duplicate the quality of the sample was with the nikon equipment.

Reply
 
 
Jan 14, 2013 15:05:10   #
PhotoGator Loc: Florida
 
jimberton wrote:
PhotoGator wrote:
I just read this whole thing today. We all were taken on a ride with jimberton wrong approach to the entire problem.
He started by trying to replicate an outcome without having all the parameters to begin with. 12 pages of an exercise in futility because he failed to gather all the facts before embarking all of us in this journey to nowhere.


photogator..you are an ass. although i could make a ton of money off you...by buying you for what you are worth and selling you for what you think you're worth.

i did get the problem solved and i was trying to let everyone know what happened a long the way.

the only way i could duplicate the quality of the sample was with the nikon equipment.
quote=PhotoGator I just read this whole thing tod... (show quote)


You are the asshole for going to a seminar and not getting all your facts straight, then coming here and taking us in a goose chase.

Reply
Jan 14, 2013 15:19:38   #
jimberton Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
 
problem was that i could not get the quality from the same value lens and my 7d as he got with his D7000 and 24-70

i found that if i duplicated the equipment, i got the same results.

it was hard for me to accept that the canon equivalent does not compare in the quality shot.

so what wild goose chase did you go on?

and this thread was last summer for heavens sake

I received lots of PMs from that thread as other canon users had the same quality problem.

i am not bashing canon..i will always keep my two 7ds.

if i didn't see that superior shot the instructor took...i would still be ok with my canons.

the only thing i didn't do was to rent a new version of the canon 24-70mm 2.8.

it was a long thread, but i learned a ton and tried a zillion different examples from those who made suggestions.

i sure never intended to run people down a dead end road.

-----------------------

if i need help again with something else, i will post and ask. I appreciate the help I get......

but please, photogator, mr perfect...please overlook my threads because your sarcasm and assnine answers don't help. (except define you).

I am a beginner on people and portrait photography. Save your answers for the high end pros that ask questions.

Reply
Page <<first <prev 12 of 12
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.