Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
how do I move folders from one external HD to another
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Feb 5, 2019 01:01:36   #
Lugano
 
Hello friends,

Here is my situation: I got all my photos in external HD “A” that I suspect faulty. I’ve got external HD “B” brand new. I click, drag and release all my folders into B (about 2 hours transferring)

I connect B to my Mac OS X but LightRoom 6.6 does not seem to recognize it and show all my folders with and ? sign.

I hope there is a simple solution since I am almost computer illiterate but I can follow simple, step-by-step directions.

Thank you for your help

Georgez

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 01:23:48   #
TheShoe (a regular here)
 
Drag-and-Drop

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 01:50:49   #
nadelewitz (a regular here)
 
Does B mount on the desktop? When you open it, are the files there?

You sure you didn't create shortcuts of the folders on the B drive? How many buttons does your mouse have?
Dragging with left button button they should have copied. Dragging with right button you would be asked if you want to copy, move, or create shortcut.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 02:15:45   #
Lugano
 
Hello Nadelwitz,
Yes, I can see and open the B drive on desktop. Open all the way to see : main folder + all the singular folders + all the photos inside singular folder + open one individual photo.

I am not sure about short cuts and I have two buttons in mouse. I am pretty sure I click and drag with left buttons and it never gaves me options and immediately start to copy telling me that it will take 2 hrs to finish.

I have physical disconnect old HD "A" and have only "B" plug in.

Thanks

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 04:40:37   #
Harry0 (a regular here)
 
I use an app called "Teracopy" Drag and drop.
It will show you the progress, and check for errors.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 05:17:38   #
Gene51 (a regular here)
 
What is the "name" of each drive? They have to be the same.

If you did not change the folder hierarchy, then all you really have to do is let LR know that the top level folder location is on a different drive. In Library, Folder View, right click on the top level folder and select "update folder location". If you are consistent and put things on the drive in an organized fashion, LR should find all of the folders and images.

What makes you think the older drive is failing?

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 05:55:04   #
johneccles
 
Method 1:

Plug your external HD's into your PC, using "File Explorer" and work out which letter each hard drive has been allocated.

Open up the HDD where the file you wish to transfer is located.

Right-click the file, scroll down to "Send to" and then select the HDD you wish to send it to.

Done.

Method 2:

Open up "File Explorer"

Open up the HDD you want to transfer the file from.

Drag that file to the HDD listed in the left-hand column you wish to move it to.

Done.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 06:10:59   #
mrova
 
Lugano wrote:
Hello friends,

...I connect B to my Mac OS X but LightRoom 6.6 does not seem to recognize it and show all my folders with and ? sign...
Georgez


I also have Lightroom and am in the process of moving things to a new external hd. As I understand this - and I do not fully but learning - the reason that you're getting the question marks is because LR doesn't know where your photos are. In order for LR to find your photos at the new location is that you have to move the photos from within LR itself OR you have to move all the other accompanying files (catalog files) along with the photos onto the new harddrive and open LR FROM within your new external harddrive.
Confusing? Yes, it still is for me and I still don't fully understand it...hopefully I've shared enough info here that someone else that does understand it better can chime in and clarify. Also, there are plenty of youtubes and other websites related to exactly this, just google "moving lightroom files to a new external harddrive" or similar through google or in the search bar on this site.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 06:18:30   #
Pablo8
 
Harry0 wrote:
I use an app called "Teracopy" Drag and drop.
It will show you the progress, and check for errors.


Top Marks for you Harry0. Have downloaded Teracopy, and copied Documents Pictures and a full 32gb memory stick, into my External 1.75 TB drive. Just took minuets. Will have to try 'Move' function when I feel brave enough. Thanks for the info' in your post. It has worked on Windows 10 (Laptop) , but doesn't seem to register on older Windows XP on desktop computer. Will look further another day when I have more time.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 08:25:38   #
mborn (a regular here)
 
I move folders between drives from within LR

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 09:24:46   #
PixelStan77 (a regular here)
 
mborn wrote:
I move folders between drives from within LR
And how do you move those?

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 10:04:24   #
mborn (a regular here)
 
PixelStan77 wrote:
And how do you move those?


selected the folder included subfolders, added the new drive, than dragged the folder to the new drive

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 14:28:50   #
PHRubin (a regular here)
 
mrova wrote:
I also have Lightroom and am in the process of moving things to a new external hd. As I understand this - and I do not fully but learning - the reason that you're getting the question marks is because LR doesn't know where your photos are. In order for LR to find your photos at the new location is that you have to move the photos from within LR itself OR you have to move all the other accompanying files (catalog files) along with the photos onto the new harddrive and open LR FROM within your new external harddrive.
Confusing? Yes, it still is for me and I still don't fully understand it...hopefully I've shared enough info here that someone else that does understand it better can chime in and clarify. Also, there are plenty of youtubes and other websites related to exactly this, just google "moving lightroom files to a new external harddrive" or similar through google or in the search bar on this site.
I also have Lightroom and am in the process of mov... (show quote)


Lightroom doesn't "see" the files. It makes its' own directory and only looks there. One reason I don't use it.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 16:15:51   #
Lugano
 
Hello Gene51,
Iy sounds really easy but remember what I said about illiterate? Well, I can't find "Folder view" where is it?

Thanks

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 16:23:02   #
Lugano
 
Sorry Gene, I forgot. I think ADATA is failing because it gets disconnected by itself and it reconnects just by waiting. Also, the only way to get it started is to have it plugged into de Mac and NOW star on the Mac and not the way around.

I don't think is lack of space since I have only 5000 pics, about half of its capacity.
Let me know your thoughts

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.