Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
NO LONGER VALID
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Jan 23, 2019 08:42:06   #
photoshack
 
Well, I am throwing in the proverbial towel on my wonderful little studio in the 100+ year old "Irvine Hotel", including portrait samples, lighting, Maheu painted muslins, all kinds of stuff. New tenant gets a break on the rent until April after which it will be $2600/mo which in this area is very very cheap. The lease description is at the bottom of the post, a pdf of the layout, etc.

https://www.portraitsbyvin.com/inventory.html has the inventory of the studio on a link at the top; if you buy all in one lot you can get everything at less than half value. In March I will have a sale just before I put stuff into storage. Note that I am not selling cameras in the inventory; I intend to still be a photographer, I will just have to do this in my home or rental studio.

I would love to see this go to a photographer...I don't really want to leave it.



Attached file:
(Download)


(Download)

Attached file:
(Download)

| Reply
Jan 23, 2019 08:49:57   #
rmalarz (a regular here)
 
Is the studio capable of having a darkroom? Being a wet photographer, this is always a consideration.
--Bob
photoshack wrote:
Well, I am throwing in the proverbial towel on my wonderful little studio in the 100+ year old "Irvine Hotel", including portrait samples, lighting, Maheu painted muslins, all kinds of stuff. New tenant gets a break on the rent until April.

https://www.portraitsbyvin.com/inventory.html has the inventory of the studio on a link at the top; the right-most column is the "you buy the studio, you get the whole enchilada price" and the left price is the fair market value or purchase price if recent. If I can't sell the whole thing to someone taking the studio over, I will have a weekend-long firesale right in the studio and it will go for whatever is negotiated on the spot.

Note that I am not selling cameras in the inventory; I intend to still be a photographer, I will just have to do this in my home or rental studio.

I am sad that after nearly $200k (sold my home to finance) and two years later I am walking away. This studio felt like home to me, and for the right person it would be just as wonderful. I just didn't have the funds to work a full time job, and pay for reputation building for what probably would take 5 years to become solvent.
Well, I am throwing in the proverbial towel on my ... (show quote)

| Reply
Jan 23, 2019 08:55:53   #
photoshack
 
rmalarz wrote:
Is the studio capable of having a darkroom? Being a wet photographer, this is always a consideration.
--Bob


Well, I suppose it could. The studio has an office which could be a converted to a darkroom. That would be one of those "talk to the landlord" deals. I attached a photo of the 4 lease sign. Jon Bunning is his name, and being that the building is historical in nature, he may have certain things that can't be changed if they were part of the original structure (but in many cases the walls inside were not original so he's okay with changing.)

More on the location: https://www.portraitsbyvin.com/thestudio.html

So you would be moving from Tempe if this studio works for you?


(Download)

| Reply
Jan 24, 2019 12:24:46   #
sbohne
 
If I was 40 years younger I'd be interested. As you have found, doing great work is not enough to make a portrait studio a success. I made a good chunk of my living giving workshops and seminars for the last 20 years I was in business teaching photographers how to do it. I am sorry that your talent won't be as readily available to the residents of the area.

| Reply
Jan 24, 2019 21:11:13   #
photoshack
 
sbohne wrote:
If I was 40 years younger I'd be interested. As you have found, doing great work is not enough to make a portrait studio a success. I made a good chunk of my living giving workshops and seminars for the last 20 years I was in business teaching photographers how to do it. I am sorry that your talent won't be as readily available to the residents of the area.


If I was 40 years younger I'd probably go to Art School and start off with nothing, happily building over time. My runway is so much shorter :-) Thank you for your comment and kind words. This is not my first attempt at a studio, this time I think I trusted a "PR" person who was not nearly as competent as she thought she was (and I paid her what could have been another two years studio rent.) At nearly 60, I apparently have much to learn still.

| Reply
Jan 24, 2019 21:14:03   #
photoshack
 
rmalarz wrote:
Is the studio capable of having a darkroom? Being a wet photographer, this is always a consideration.
--Bob


Was there any genuine interest? I am earnestly trying to find another photographer for this suite.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 13:10:46   #
photoshack
 
photoshack wrote:
Was there any genuine interest? I am earnestly trying to find another photographer for this suite.


So I guess you were just trolling your "I use film, I am different" or what?

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.