Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Digital Reciprocity Failure Charts
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Jan 17, 2019 02:11:44   #
Shutterbug57
 
Following up on the satirical “Adding Auto ISO Is Still Manual” thread, can someone point me to the reciprocity failure charts for Nikon, Canon, Sony & Fuji digital cameras?

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 03:07:22   #
RWR
 
Shutterbug57 wrote:
Following up on the satirical “Adding Auto ISO Is Still Manual” thread, can someone point me to the reciprocity failure charts for Nikon, Canon, Sony & Fuji digital cameras?

I really need a reciprocity failure chart for digital, but my searches have been in vain. Apparently everyone else knows how to multiply by one.

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 03:18:03   #
Pablo8
 
RWR wrote:
I really need a reciprocity failure chart for digital, but my searches have been in vain. Apparently everyone else knows how to multiply by one.


I thought you had to divide by one.

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 03:56:59   #
RWR
 
Pablo8 wrote:
I thought you had to divide by one.

Now it’s really getting complicated!!

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 05:22:41   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
Pablo8 wrote:
I thought you had to divide by one.


Well, you're almost right. Digital works with 1s and 0s. Dividing by 1 would get you what you started with. What you must do is divide by zero! As any good mathematician knows, there is something magical about dividing by zero.

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 05:24:27   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
Shutterbug57 wrote:
Following up on the satirical “Adding Auto ISO Is Still Manual” thread, can someone point me to the reciprocity failure charts for Nikon, Canon, Sony & Fuji digital cameras?


I got an email from a diplomat in Nigeria who is selling them for $24.99 each, and they have a Lifetime Guarantee!

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 06:24:17   #
bobmcculloch (a regular here)
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Well, you're almost right. Digital works with 1s and 0s. Dividing by 1 would get you what you started with. What you must do is divide by zero! As any good mathematician knows, there is something magical about dividing by zero.


In math class I learned the 11th commandment, "Thou shalt not divide by 0"

| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 06:08:57   #
techwolf
 
I teach math and it is not thou shalt not divide by zero...it is thou can't divide by zero (technically it is "undefined"). No one has figured out how many zeros fit into something and there are proofs out there only intesting to weird mathemeticians like me that show why it it is not infinite times. This thread is a great lesson on the etymological domain of reciprocity.

| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 06:56:55   #
Jimmy T (a regular here)
 
"etymological domain of reciprocity" There you go, giving me another headache, grin. JimmyT Sends.
techwolf wrote:
I teach math and it is not thou shalt not divide by zero...it is thou can't divide by zero (technically it is "undefined"). No one has figured out how many zeros fit into something and there are proofs out there only intesting to weird mathemeticians like me that show why it it is not infinite times. This thread is a great lesson on the etymological domain of reciprocity.



| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 07:43:12   #
larryepage
 
techwolf wrote:
I teach math and it is not thou shalt not divide by zero...it is thou can't divide by zero (technically it is "undefined"). No one has figured out how many zeros fit into something and there are proofs out there only intesting to weird mathemeticians like me that show why it it is not infinite times. This thread is a great lesson on the etymological domain of reciprocity.

But if the number you are dividing by zero is also zero, then you can do it, and you can get a real number. It is a lot more fun to multiply zero by infinity.

| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 08:02:15   #
BebuLamar (a regular here)
 
Need no chart just multiply by 2. Why? Because you need to enable dark noise reduction which would take twice as long when you do a long time exposure.

| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 08:18:20   #
bobmcculloch (a regular here)
 
techwolf wrote:
I teach math and it is not thou shalt not divide by zero...it is thou can't divide by zero (technically it is "undefined"). No one has figured out how many zeros fit into something and there are proofs out there only intesting to weird mathemeticians like me that show why it it is not infinite times. This thread is a great lesson on the etymological domain of reciprocity.


Doesn't sound like a commandment your way, Jesuit school, big on commandants!

| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 08:34:40   #
fetzler (a regular here)
 
Maybe this is serious. Film has reciprocity failure digital does not.

To the others - I had fun with the jokes! My Ukrainian chart is much better than the Nigerian one but cost twice as much. HI HI

| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 08:59:30   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
Shutterbug57 wrote:
Following up on the satirical “Adding Auto ISO Is Still Manual” thread, can someone point me to the reciprocity failure charts for Nikon, Canon, Sony & Fuji digital cameras?


I used these for film. Unnecessary for digital. At least, I have not gotten any reciprocity in any of my images yet. My longest exposure has been 30 minutes.

| Reply
Jan 18, 2019 09:07:50   #
Shutterbug57
 
fetzler wrote:
Maybe this is serious. Film has reciprocity failure digital does not.

To the others - I had fun with the jokes! My Ukrainian chart is much better than the Nigerian one but cost twice as much. HI HI


Nope, its satirical. I thought I would add a little levity to the group.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.