Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Prop for taking pictures with crystal ball
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Jan 14, 2019 16:05:16   #
KayakingUSA
 
I have seen some pictures taken with a crystal ball so I decided to purchase one for myself. I noticed that most of the pictures taken with the crystal ball is being hand held and the hand is also in the pictures. I decided to try a different approach. Since I am also a woodworker (you can check out some of my work from a previous post) I decided to make a holder for the ball and camera as you can see from the pictures below. The ball holder itself is made from a 16 oz. water bottle cut off about 1 1/2 inches from the top. The cap is mounted in a hole drilled out so that it would be flush with the frame and screwed in place so the top could be removed if needed. I also made a bracket for the bottom to mount on a tripod using my gimbal head. it is made long enough to give some adjustment when mounting for the weight distribution. I included a grip so it can also be used handheld. A hole underneath the camera allows access to a mounting screw for the camera. Once the camera and the ball are mounted, you can adjust your focus on the ball and everything that you aim it at will be in focus since you focus on the object in the ball instead of the original object. All you have to do is aim and shoot. Now to get out and take some pictures. From the sample photos I took in the back yard it looks like it will work great but I need some more interesting things to photo to be sure.
crystal ball and camera mount
crystal ball and camera mount...
(Download)
camera with ball holder
camera with ball holder...
(Download)
ball holder
ball holder...
(Download)
gimbal mount for tripod
gimbal mount for tripod...
(Download)
access hold to mount camera
access hold to mount camera...
(Download)


(Download)


(Download)
sample that has been inverted
sample that has been inverted...
(Download)
sample that has been inverted
sample that has been inverted...
(Download)
complete setup
complete setup...
(Download)

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:16:01   #
rcarol
 
Very ingenious,

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:19:34   #
R.G. (a regular here)
 
Cool. Now if you could just make the crystal ball holder a bit less intrusive...

So when's the carbon fibre travelling version coming out?

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:20:39   #
Pkfish
 
Well thought out. Thanx PK

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:25:38   #
KayakingUSA
 
R.G. wrote:
Cool. Now if you could just make the crystal ball holder a bit less intrusive...

So when's the carbon fibre travelling version coming out?


Thanks for looking. It is better than holding the ball in your hand

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:28:41   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
rcarol wrote:
Very ingenious,



| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:29:01   #
R.G. (a regular here)
 
KayakingUSA wrote:
Thanks for looking. It is better than holding the ball in your hand



| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:32:16   #
dancers (a regular here)
 
amazing! I love woodworks of any kind. IF I had been a boy, I think that would have been my chosen trade.

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:34:59   #
Keith S
 
Very cool, I have a plastic holder for mine and find a flat surface to set it on. The issue is the camera. This pretty much eliminates the camera alignment.

Great idea
Keith

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:56:26   #
Transbuff1985 (a regular here)
 
Very clever idea KayakingUSA. Muchb better than by hand. I will have to send you a PM later I use a top of a BAI bottle to hold mine with. Might want to try this bottle, it is configured differently might hold crystal better. thanks for sharing this. Bob

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 16:57:14   #
KayakingUSA
 
Keith S wrote:
Very cool, I have a plastic holder for mine and find a flat surface to set it on. The issue is the camera. This pretty much eliminates the camera alignment.

Great idea
Keith


Thanks for looking. It keeps it aligned and still allows for zooming in and out.

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 17:00:02   #
KayakingUSA
 
Transbuff1985 wrote:
Very clever idea KayakingUSA. Muchb better than by hand. I will have to send you a PM later I use a top of a BAI bottle to hold mine with. Might want to try this bottle, it is configured differently might hold crystal better. thanks for sharing this. Bob

Thanks for looking. Anything is better than holding by hand and trying it keep it aligned and focused. This takes care of both.

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 17:03:09   #
Transbuff1985 (a regular here)
 
KayakingUSA wrote:
Thanks for looking. Anything is better than holding by hand and trying it keep it aligned and focused. This takes care of both.

Anything better than hand, cause fingers always seem to get into the picture!!

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 18:22:40   #
Jim-Pops (a regular here)
 
Clever

| Reply
Jan 14, 2019 22:06:46   #
Dr.Nikon (a regular here)
 
Enginuity ...well done ..

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.