Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Help in ID this track.
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Jan 11, 2019 06:54:10   #
cmc65
 
I tried to photograph this track in the mud that I found at the new house we are building. There were many in this area but this was the one that was isolated. I still had a difficult time getting a shot that showed the feature clearly. Any tips would be appreciated. Also I’d help would be helpful. My glove is to the left. I found a tape measure in the jeep later and the track measured almost 5 inches in both directions.


(Download)

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 06:58:20   #
birder585
 
You don't give a location which would be helpful. My 1st guess is wolf.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:01:42   #
Say Cheese
 
It is not a bear but it could be a big dog. Get some plaster of paris and make a cast of it.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:02:12   #
Bokehen
 
Bear, Note the deep claw marks at the front of the paw print

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:10:08   #
DNW
 
Bokehen wrote:
Bear, Note the deep claw marks at the front of the pawn print


Me too...Bear.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:12:21   #
cmc65
 
My bad. Not enough info. This is southern Rhode Island. The area is surrounded by thick Forrest. I have definitely had bear through here. This track was not the same. There was another track intermingled with these larger ones. (There are no wolves here, just coyote and even the largest don’t track like this ). It was round overal, thought maybe a bobcat but it was too big. Mountain Lion attacking something else was a thought which would explain the claw being extended. Time to get a second trail camera. The workers at the house are a bit concerned.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:12:31   #
fourg1b2006
 
I would think it was a bear...that is one big footprint.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:18:57   #
Say Cheese
 
Bear have 5 front pads and one big pad. Dogs, wolfs, coyotes and other dog family have 4 front pads and one big pad. This one shows 4 front pads and one big pad.
The attached picture is a paw casting from our 95# dog. Think what a Great Dane or Newfoundland's print would be.



| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:25:01   #
Tom DePuy (a regular here)
 
A couple for comparison...
Bear...
Bear......
Wolf...
Wolf......

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:28:57   #
Bokehen
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
A couple for comparison...

You're right bear 5 toes, wolf 4 toes. I stand corrected.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:33:25   #
cmc65
 
Tom DePuy wrote:
A couple for comparison...

Such good photographs. I’m going to construct a couple of sand traps in the area. Maybe I’ll get lucky and get cleaner prints. We are a couple months from moving into the new house. I’d really like to know what is moving through. We have not had snowfall which would make it easier to see the tracks. Perhaps the dry sand won’t freeze solid.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:38:41   #
DNW
 
Say Cheese wrote:
Bear have 5 front pads and one big pad. Dogs, wolfs, coyotes and other dog family have 4 front pads and one big pad. This one shows 4 front pads and one big pad.
The attached picture is a paw casting from our 95# dog. Think what a Great Dane or Newfoundland's print would be.


Learned something today...and so early too.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:15:58   #
Watosh
 
Cats do not leave claw prints when walking. (Retractable claws)
It is a canine.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:17:52   #
Blaster34 (a regular here)
 
cmc65 wrote:
My bad. Not enough info. This is southern Rhode Island. The area is surrounded by thick Forrest. I have definitely had bear through here. This track was not the same. There was another track intermingled with these larger ones. (There are no wolves here, just coyote and even the largest don’t track like this ). It was round overal, thought maybe a bobcat but it was too big. Mountain Lion attacking something else was a thought which would explain the claw being extended. Time to get a second trail camera. The workers at the house are a bit concerned.
My bad. Not enough info. This is southern Rhode Is... (show quote)


Black bear would be my first guess because of size and claw marks

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:22:00   #
Watosh
 
The prime suspect in track ID.



| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.