Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Suggestions for places to shoot on upcoming Southern Texas trip
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Jan 10, 2019 22:21:54   #
AuntieM
 
I am headed to the San Antonio area mid-February for a few days before heading down to the Rockport, TX area to photograph the Whooping Cranes. I plan on "doing" the Alamo and the Missions National Historical Park. I'm not too keen on the Riverwalk, but will probably go there just to say that I had seen it. I am more excited about rivers, waterfalls, birds, etc. I want to travel the Painted Church trail tour, and if I have time, see the Attwater Prairie Chicken Reserve. I will have about 3 days in San Antonio, 3 days in the Rockport area, and 3 days to roam around as I like. What suggestions do those of you living in this area have for places that are a "must see."

Thanks.

| Reply
Jan 10, 2019 23:04:31   #
larryepage (a regular here)
 
Others will chime in here, but I suggest the Botanical Garden, San Antonio Zoo, Japanese Tea Garden (adjacent to the zoo), Institute of Texas Culture are all worth a visit. I had a good experience visiting the Alamo after dark, after the crowds left. That was several years ago and during the busier time. You will need to assess whether that is a good and safe idea this time of year. The climate in San Antonio is very temperate; some years do not see a significant freeze, but February will not be best for outside vegetation. The Botanical Garden has several large conservatories with lots of specimens in climate controlled indoor environments. There are several small towns out from San Antonio that are worth a visit, including Fredericksburg, Gruen, Stonewall, and others, and places like Enchanted Rock can be worth a visit also. Hopefully some folks from the area will have some more options...

| Reply
Jan 10, 2019 23:13:53   #
krashdragon
 
Theres also Aransas Wildlife Preserve if they're open. Alligators live there.

| Reply
Jan 10, 2019 23:28:57   #
Shutterbug57
 
Side trips to Big Bend and McDonald Observatory.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 06:42:03   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
AuntieM wrote:
I am headed to the San Antonio area mid-February for a few days before heading down to the Rockport, TX area to photograph the Whooping Cranes. I plan on "doing" the Alamo and the Missions National Historical Park. I'm not too keen on the Riverwalk, but will probably go there just to say that I had seen it. I am more excited about rivers, waterfalls, birds, etc. I want to travel the Painted Church trail tour, and if I have time, see the Attwater Prairie Chicken Reserve. I will have about 3 days in San Antonio, 3 days in the Rockport area, and 3 days to roam around as I like. What suggestions do those of you living in this area have for places that are a "must see."

Thanks.
I am headed to the San Antonio area mid-February f... (show quote)


tripadvisor.com

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 06:43:36   #
df61743
 
PM sent.

Dick

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 06:58:04   #
eadler
 
If you want to drive a little try Big Bend National Park (if the gov't shut down ends). It's right on the Rio Grande River.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:05:43   #
df61743
 
Keep in mind that Big Bend is over 400 miles from San Antonio, and so huge that it's not exactly a "day trip." I believe if you're interested in Big Bend you should consider dedicating some time doing it.

Dick

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:10:41   #
eadler
 
You're right about big. It's actually the largest of all the national parks. Didn't realize it was that far from from San Antonio.

In San Antonio there is restaurant atop a very high Tower. (I can't recall the name) Great views/photos plus a good meal

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:14:51   #
David in Dallas
 
Don't dismiss the Riverwalk. It is more than just the very popular restaurant area. In 2007 I walked it all the way to the dam.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:30:06   #
wds0410
 
eadler wrote:
You're right about big. It's actually the largest of all the national parks. Didn't realize it was that far from from San Antonio.

In San Antonio there is restaurant atop a very high Tower. (I can't recall the name) Great views/photos plus a good meal


Correction:Big Bend is big but it isn't even in the top ten in size.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:39:46   #
Dan Thornton
 
We have some of the best birding in the country this time of year. Many different types of shore birds, ducks and sandhill cranes, roseate spoonbills as well as whooping cranes. Also, you will be close to the Padre Island National Seashore which is open despite the shutdown. Goose Island State Park and the Big Tree are very near Rockport. You could also tour the King Ranch in Kingsville Texas. If you are interested in missions, you could visit La Bahia in Goliad. If you have not decided on a whooping crane tour yet, I recommend taking the one that departs from Fulton Harbor aboard the Skimmer. Captain Tommy is a very knowledgeable birder and will point out other birds of interest in route to the whooping cranes. While in fulton, stop at Benchwarmers for the best hamburger in the area. I hope you enjoy your trip.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:58:33   #
sumo
 
San Antonio’s zoo is the worst zoo I’ve ever seen. Don’t waste your time

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:04:48   #
df61743
 
Dan Thornton wrote:
We have some of the best birding in the country this time of year. Many different types of shore birds, ducks and sandhill cranes, roseate spoonbills as well as whooping cranes. Also, you will be close to the Padre Island National Seashore which is open despite the shutdown. Goose Island State Park and the Big Tree are very near Rockport. You could also tour the King Ranch in Kingsville Texas. If you are interested in missions, you could visit La Bahia in Goliad. If you have not decided on a whooping crane tour yet, I recommend taking the one that departs from Fulton Harbor aboard the Skimmer. Captain Tommy is a very knowledgeable birder and will point out other birds of interest in route to the whooping cranes. While in fulton, stop at Benchwarmers for the best hamburger in the area. I hope you enjoy your trip.
We have some of the best birding in the country th... (show quote)


Hey Dan,

Nice to see you again. She booked a trip with Moore, and I emailed her some maps

Dick

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:11:06   #
dino21
 
I've lived in S Texas for 28 years. Nothing here in this hot, windy, dry hellhole. Save your money and travel somewhere nicer! I retired from a Govt job here in McAllen but cant afford to move away from here.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.