Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Doo Doo Dooo Lookin' out my backdoor....
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Jan 10, 2019 21:56:39   #
fuminous
 
Hot runway air cooled by a late afternoon shower, fills the bay of a C-130… about to depart GTMO.


(Download)

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 00:32:57   #
UTMike (a regular here)
 
Brings back a few memories, thanks! Credence didn't do C-130s.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 06:24:51   #
fuminous
 
You're right, Mike, Creedence traveled a bit more plush than web seats and ear plugs, I'm sure.


UTMike wrote:
Brings back a few memories, thanks! Credence didn't do C-130s.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:17:52   #
Linda From Maine (a regular here)
 
Fantastic (as I find most of yours :sm02)! The light and clarity of the interior elevate this to art for sure. The airman's hurry up and wait posture is perfect.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:51:19   #
fuminous
 
Thank you Linda! You're right about the "... hurry up and wait" syndrome... had to run through all the charade of a full load-up but... there was only one passenger and, well, you see my luggage/cargo... Our service members impress me, every time, with their efficiency, capability and hard work... can't say enough good things. I've no doubt YOU displayed the same traits, Linda- and still do!



Linda From Maine wrote:
Fantastic (as I find most of yours :sm02)! The light and clarity of the interior elevate this to art for sure. The airman's hurry up and wait posture is perfect.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 12:20:48   #
Retired CPO (a regular here)
 
Nice shot. Can't count the number of times I've been in that exact same spot, both on the airfield in GTMO and in the cargo area of a C-130. It certainly does bring back memories.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 14:21:51   #
kpmac (a regular here)
 
Excellent image.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 16:29:37   #
Swamp-Cork
 
Nice shot!

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 19:13:36   #
carlysue (a regular here)
 
Sorry I'm so late to respond to this exceptional shot, fuminous! I love images that tell a story without any words and this certainly fall in that category. A lot of emotion also depicted in the scene. The lighting on the interior of this transport plane is fantastic. The colors are rendered beautifully making it look like quite an inviting space, which is probably not the case...

| Reply
Jan 17, 2019 23:21:37   #
denoferth
 
Wow, that sure brings back memories of being a "project crew" member doing weather modification programs aboard NC-130A 53-33133. I wish I could share the shots I took as project photographer but all my film went to the government photo lab for processing and is probably stored away at China Lake along with the Ark of the Covenant.

| Reply
Feb 4, 2019 17:22:54   #
fuminous
 
Do those memories make you want to put on an extra pair of socks? My feet get colder in a C-130 than any other aircraft.... they're a great plane but... chilly after a few hours at altitude.

Retired CPO wrote:
Nice shot. Can't count the number of times I've been in that exact same spot, both on the airfield in GTMO and in the cargo area of a C-130. It certainly does bring back memories.

| Reply
Feb 4, 2019 17:23:38   #
fuminous
 
Thanks, kpmac! Always nice of you to drop by!

kpmac wrote:
Excellent image.

| Reply
Feb 4, 2019 17:24:34   #
fuminous
 
Glad you like it Swamp-Cork, THANKS!

Swamp-Cork wrote:
Nice shot!

| Reply
Feb 4, 2019 17:54:33   #
fuminous
 
Glad you like the story and especially the colors, carlysue; Thanks! You're right 'bout the C-130's interior being an inviting space... if you're a box on a palette and into bondage. Otherwise, it's loud, cold and stiff. After doing their chores, the crew stretch hammocks and sleep in the higher regions (warmer up there) while folks like me get their bottoms rearranged by the aluminum braces of the web seats. And the on-board latrine is a hoot! They really are a great plane- though getting old. The trip back should have only been 5 hours but, as we neared Miami, hydraulic fluid started running down the wall- an unhappy pneudraulic line to the wing flaps so, turned around to visit Keesler, AFB Mississippi for parts and repairs. Fifteen hours later... home, but late for work... long day. Do enjoy you stopping by carlysue, THANKS!



carlysue wrote:
Sorry I'm so late to respond to this exceptional shot, fuminous! I love images that tell a story without any words and this certainly fall in that category. A lot of emotion also depicted in the scene. The lighting on the interior of this transport plane is fantastic. The colors are rendered beautifully making it look like quite an inviting space, which is probably not the case...

| Reply
Feb 4, 2019 18:35:06   #
fuminous
 
That's an old tail number denoferth! You might have used glass plates to record those images! Glad to stir a memory- Thanks for looking in and commenting, too!

denoferth wrote:
Wow, that sure brings back memories of being a "project crew" member doing weather modification programs aboard NC-130A 53-33133. I wish I could share the shots I took as project photographer but all my film went to the government photo lab for processing and is probably stored away at China Lake along with the Ark of the Covenant.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.