Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Camera Lens LED Light
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Jan 10, 2019 11:13:17   #
hpucker99
 
There was an article last month in PetaPixel on how to convert a camera lens mug into a lamp. As luck would have it, I got two mugs for Christmas and converted one into a lamp. Went to Walmart and got a LED desk lamp for the base.



https://petapixel.com/2018/12/27/how-to-make-a-camera-lens-lamp/


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Jan 10, 2019 11:25:05   #
kpmac (a regular here)
 
Cool. Thanks for the link.

| Reply
Jan 10, 2019 11:32:01   #
rook2c4 (a regular here)
 
Yeah, one can fashion just about anything into a lamp.

| Reply
Jan 10, 2019 11:35:52   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 

| Reply
Jan 10, 2019 11:38:25   #
Tom DePuy
 
I was always wondering what to do with the one I have, as it most definitely does not hold nearly enough coffee for me...lol

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 07:44:24   #
chippy65
 
nice idea, stylish.........be careful to use LED bulb or similar to avoid overheating and fire risk

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:24:47   #
GoofyNewfie (a regular here)
 
hpucker99 wrote:
There was an article last month in PetaPixel on how to convert a camera lens mug into a lamp. As luck would have it, I got two mugs for Christmas and converted one into a lamp. Went to Walmart and got a LED desk lamp for the base.



https://petapixel.com/2018/12/27/how-to-make-a-camera-lens-lamp/

Looks like I have a project.
I have 2 of these mugs also that I never use.
Thanks

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:58:06   #
fuminous
 
Excellent idea! But... does a Canon lens/lamp have distinctive color renditions as opposed to a Nikon lens/lamp? And... is the VR/IS on or off?


... yes, that's a joke...

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 08:59:04   #
LFingar
 
You can do that with a lens MUG? Dang! I wish you had posted sooner. I miss my EF 24-105 L. I would post a picture of my lamp but I have to wait till I can afford a new lens. Seemed like a good idea at the time though! (Now where have I heard that before?)

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 11:00:16   #
hpucker99
 
chippy65 wrote:
nice idea, stylish.........be careful to use LED bulb or similar to avoid overheating and fire risk


The video makes it quite clear to use a LED bulb/light. The confined space in the lens with an incandescent bulb will have serious heating problems.

| Reply
Jan 11, 2019 11:02:16   #
hpucker99
 
LFingar wrote:
You can do that with a lens MUG? Dang! I wish you had posted sooner. I miss my EF 24-105 L. I would post a picture of my lamp but I have to wait till I can afford a new lens. Seemed like a good idea at the time though! (Now where have I heard that before?)


I didn't see photos but read somewhere that a person made a lamp using an actual lens. Don't have any details on the construction. I had an old Minolta lens that got damaged, wish I had it around to try.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.