Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Now You Can Master Any DSLR Camera And Take Gorgeous, Attention-Grabbing Photos
Follow these step-by-step video tutorials.
My image, your vision
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Dec 15, 2018 15:36:39   #
buckwheat
 
I don't think I could get away with posting this in the PG section. I have a number of images that are "almost" good pictures. I think there is potential in this one, but all of my post processing attempts don't make the potential come out.
So here it is. Let's see what you folks do with it.


(Download)

| Reply
Now You Can Master Any DSLR Camera And Take Gorgeous, Attention-Grabbing Photos
Follow these step-by-step video tutorials.
Dec 15, 2018 15:50:19   #
Stardust (a regular here)
 
I quit doing PP on other's photos when requested here (behind enough on my own) but what do you think should be changed? Other than maybe adding a touch of saturation or vibrance not sure I would change it. Could dehaze the distance sky/mountains but not sure I would want them clearer. Maybe remove the road running thru her head?

| Reply
Dec 15, 2018 15:56:06   #
InfiniteISO (a regular here)
 
Intriguing model - has the gamine look nailed down. Here are some simple light room changes. A crop using the same. Also softened the skin on the backs of her legs a tad.







| Reply
Dec 15, 2018 16:03:06   #
Stardust (a regular here)
 
InfiniteISO wrote:
Intriguing model - has the gamine look nailed down. Here are some simple light room changes. A crop using the same. Also softened the skin on the backs of her legs a tad.
Improved clarity but in my opinion buttocks lost that milky white of not having been suntanned and photo looses that "isolated in the desert look". Just thinking out loud.

| Reply
Dec 15, 2018 16:10:33   #
buckwheat
 
I'm sure I'm not the only one who can look at a picture for hours and not see a glaring problem. Good idea! One of my biggest issues is separating her torso from the background.
Stardust wrote:
I quit doing PP on other's photos when requested here (behind enough on my own) but what do you think should be changed? Other than maybe adding a touch of saturation or vibrance not sure I would change it. Could dehaze the distance sky/mountains but not sure I would want them clearer. Maybe remove the road running thru her head?



| Reply
Dec 15, 2018 16:16:24   #
InfiniteISO (a regular here)
 
Stardust wrote:
Improved clarity but in my opinion buttocks lost that milky white of not having been suntanned and photo looses that "isolated in the desert look". Just thinking out loud.


I see your point, the crop eliminates the scale of the dessert. As for the rest it's hard to do much with global changes and preserve that skin tone and at the same time make the image pop a bit more. I'm afraid I've lost the ability to leave a color image this dynamically flat alone. People that shoot JPG don't realize how much their camera is typically processing their images (depending on settings of course) I would bet this was a straight conversion of the raw file done off of the camera. One of the better things my edit does is recover the detail lost in the hair.

| Reply
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
Dec 15, 2018 17:06:17   #
Stardust (a regular here)
 
buckwheat wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who can look at a picture for hours and not see a glaring problem. Good idea! One of my biggest issues is separating her torso from the background.
Been there, done that. And, yes, the photo is somewhat flat from the get-go so hard to add separation. Would have been better had you mirrored the pose so the sun was on the front side but we work with what we are given, not what we wish.

InfiniteISO:
Your PP looks much better and more natural on my computer screen now vs my phone I was viewing/responding earlier. Obviously always does as my monitor is large and calibrated but phone is usually pretty close on colors but in this case your rework looked more unnatural yellowish-orange on skin color vs now on display.

| Reply
Dec 15, 2018 18:07:17   #
PixelStan77 (a regular here)
 
buckwheat wrote:
I don't think I could get away with posting this in the PG section. I have a number of images that are "almost" good pictures. I think there is potential in this one, but all of my post processing attempts don't make the potential come out.
So here it is. Let's see what you folks do with it.
Consider converting it to a Black & White. Does that meet with your vision

| Reply
Dec 15, 2018 20:45:27   #
JohnFrim
 
Personally, I would try a different image to work on. I don’t like the pose in that it gives her a pot belly, which is not flattering... unless she is pregnant.

| Reply
Dec 16, 2018 10:40:07   #
jeep_daddy (a regular here)
 
I wouldn't take the time to try and improve this since she is poorly posed. She's out of proportion it seems.

| Reply
Dec 16, 2018 11:49:08   #
RogStrix
 
Think I might be tempted to crop to a head and shoulders shot? On my phone at present so will have to wait till Monday...

| Reply
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
Dec 16, 2018 14:23:58   #
waltchilds
 
Here is what I came up with.


(Download)

| Reply
Dec 16, 2018 14:27:29   #
elee950021
 
buckwheat wrote:
I don't think I could get away with posting this in the PG section. I have a number of images that are "almost" good pictures. I think there is potential in this one, but all of my post processing attempts don't make the potential come out.
So here it is. Let's see what you folks do with it.


Ed From NYC here! A lurker on this forum since its inception. I started photography and shooting fashion models in 1963. After college and the military, I started my custom photo lab business in the "Photo District" of NYC (along 5th Avenue between the Flatiron building on 23rd and 14th Streets). Stopped shooting models when I got very busy with my business until the early 1990s (opened 7 days a week, 8 AM to 11 PM!) when digital reared its face. After using digital point and shoots (and film), I finally got a Nikon D70 and a D50 as a backup in 2005. Retired since 2008 but try to shoot models every few weeks.

Here's my version: a quick edit using whatever software is on the laptop I'm using (I have 6, several Win 7, the balance with Win 8 and 10.) On this Win 7 laptop, I'm using Adobe Elements 11, Nikon Capture NX2 and Micrografx Picture Publisher 10 (my favorite) 10 years "obsolete" and bought by Corel to incorporate certain features in their other programs. I also have PS and LR but not on this computer.

1. Used the selection tool (PSE 11) around the model and then a light gaussian blur to defocus the background.
2. Used liquify tool to shape up model's contours (tummy and increase breast a cup size), move the near shoulder a touch forward (to the left and up).
3. Used expand tool (MPP10) to increase left side 1.5," used crop tool to cut and paste a 1" portion of the dessert on the left. Used clone tool to smooth out
match areas of sky and dessert and remove vertical seam where needed; used the clone tool to smooth out shadows and creases on the body from twisting to her left and removed stray hair and frown lines on the forehead. Also smoothed out tan lines on the butt.
4. Used touchpoint tool (Nikon Capture NX2) to isolate face and extreme shadows along the front of the body and lighten them as well as decrease contrast.
5. Warmed up skin tone slightly.
6. Cropped 3:2 horizontally using "rule of thirds."

The editing took about 30 minutes; my limit is no more than an hour on any image! My likes are medium contrast images, not HDR-like. I like skin tone in the highlights and I want to see stuff in the shadows if there is significant detail.

I hope to post images on a regular basis in the future and tell a little bit more about my story. Happy holidays! Cheers. Ed



| Reply
Dec 16, 2018 16:25:44   #
jeep_daddy (a regular here)
 
This is what I'm talking about. The pose was such that you have to use the warp tool or liquefy tool to give her some proper shape. You did a good job but was it worth it?

elee950021 wrote:
Ed From NYC here! A lurker on this forum since its inception. I started photography and shooting fashion models in 1963. After college and the military, I started my custom photo lab business in the "Photo District" of NYC (along 5th Avenue between the Flatiron building on 23rd and 14th Streets). Stopped shooting models when I got very busy with my business until the early 1990s (opened 7 days a week, 8 AM to 11 PM!) when digital reared its face. After using digital point and shoots (and film), I finally got a Nikon D70 and a D50 as a backup in 2005. Retired since 2008 but try to shoot models every few weeks.

Here's my version: a quick edit using whatever software is on the laptop I'm using (I have 6, several Win 7, the balance with Win 8 and 10.) On this Win 7 laptop, I'm using Adobe Elements 11, Nikon Capture NX2 and Micrografx Picture Publisher 10 (my favorite) 10 years "obsolete" and bought by Corel to incorporate certain features in their other programs. I also have PS and LR but not on this computer.

1. Used the selection tool (PSE 11) around the model and then a light gaussian blur to defocus the background.
2. Used liquify tool to shape up model's contours (tummy and increase breast a cup size), move the near shoulder a touch forward (to the left and up).
3. Used expand tool (MPP10) to increase left side 1.5," used crop tool to cut and paste a 1" portion of the dessert on the left. Used clone tool to smooth out
match areas of sky and dessert and remove vertical seam where needed; used the clone tool to smooth out shadows and creases on the body from twisting to her left and removed stray hair and frown lines on the forehead. Also smoothed out tan lines on the butt.
4. Used touchpoint tool (Nikon Capture NX2) to isolate face and extreme shadows along the front of the body and lighten them as well as decrease contrast.
5. Warmed up skin tone slightly.
6. Cropped 3:2 horizontally using "rule of thirds."

The editing took about 30 minutes; my limit is no more than an hour on any image! My likes are medium contrast images, not HDR-like. I like skin tone in the highlights and I want to see stuff in the shadows if there is significant detail.

I hope to post images on a regular basis in the future and tell a little bit more about my story. Happy holidays! Cheers. Ed
Ed From NYC here! A lurker on this forum since it... (show quote)

| Reply
Dec 16, 2018 16:31:25   #
Stardust (a regular here)
 
elee950021: You wore me out reading what you did to the photo <grin> but fantastic improvement on tummy and face. I also think extending the right shoulder/arm a little would give her body more symmetry. Thanks for post.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.