Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Tony Northrup prophecies on micro four thirds, compact cameras and DSLR's
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Nov 1, 2018 20:34:02   #
jburlinson
 
In a recent video, youtube guru Tony Northrup has pretty much categorically declared the MFT format all but dead. He gives it about 2 years on life support and then --- kaput. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXSnNMZ0PU

Plus, he definitively states that compact cameras are also obsolete, victims of the smartphone.

In the comments section attached to the video, Tony also stated that he and wife Chelsea will no longer be recommending that people buy DSLR's, now that the Sony A7Riii has, in his opinion, trumped the Nikon D850.

So, soon (within the next couple of years) the camera buyer will have basically two choices: smartphone or mirrorless full frame, with maybe a little niche for mirrorless APS-C.

What do you think?

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 20:36:18   #
rmalarz (a regular here)
 
Tony Northrup a guru?

If Tony Northrup told me what time it was, I'd pray I had a watch so I could check for myself.
--Bob
jburlinson wrote:
In a recent video, youtube guru Tony Northrup has pretty much categorically declared the MFT format all but dead. He gives it about 2 years on life support and then --- kaput. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXSnNMZ0PU

Plus, he definitively states that compact cameras are also obsolete, victims of the smartphone.

In the comments section attached to the video, Tony also stated that he and wife Chelsea will no longer be recommending that people buy DSLR's, now that the Sony A7Riii has, in his opinion, trumped the Nikon D850.

So, soon (within the next couple of years) the camera buyer will have basically two choices: smartphone or mirrorless full frame, with maybe a little niche for mirrorless APS-C.

What do you think?
In a recent video, youtube guru Tony Northrup has ... (show quote)

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 20:37:29   #
BebuLamar (a regular here)
 
Micro 4/3 is a format that offers decent performance for a compact size. The full frame mirrorless isn't much smaller than the DSLR.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 20:52:00   #
AlohaBob
 
I LOVE my Panasonic G9. I could just as easily have a Sony A7iii. There are limitations, but there are also many many advantages. It's put the fun back into photography for me. When I get to the point where I really need more, I'll add full frame or medium format, but I can't see putting down the G9.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:04:30   #
tdekany
 
Tony shoots his videos with gh5s, landscape with an Olympus m1 mark2.

Interestingly, he didn’t predict Samsung going out of business.

What he is, is a savvy businessman. He knows what to say to get traffic to his site.

I can’t wait to hear what he is going to say about the new Olympus flagship camera coming out early next year.

M4/3 isn’t going anywhere. Those lenses will carry m4/3 way into the future. There are more than enough people out there who prefer to carry a lighter system.

Same bs was said about the small 35mm format in the beginning wasn’t it?

What 1 person thinks is irrelevant.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:05:51   #
AndyH (a regular here)
 
rmalarz wrote:
Tony Northrup a guru?

If Tony Northrup told me what time it was, I'd pray I had a watch so I could check for myself.
--Bob


My thoughts exactly. Click seekers posting controversial stuff to drive traffic.

At least in my opinion.

Andy

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:08:00   #
Navywife66
 
Imagine if everyone who saw that video believed him.. everyone ran out and sold or traded their equipment. I think that technology and equipment will change as it did over to digital from film. But 2 years? I think that our newest generation of kids will be the deciding factor of mirror or no mirror. The first digital camera patented was in 1978. The first mirrorless was in 2004. 2006 Nikon announced the end of production of film cameras..when will they announce the end of Dslr’s? With Canon, repairs on film cameras can be done up to October 31,2025. However after October 31,2020 repairs may be refused if they don’t have the parts no longer in stock. I guess the same “can” be upcoming for the Dslr but I will take my chances and stay with them.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:10:44   #
BebuLamar (a regular here)
 
Now I am bothered by the fact that people have to sell their cameras if the manufacturers don't make them any more why? Let assume that Tony is right and there will be no more new M4/3 cameras or lenses introduced then do you have to get rid of the ones you're already have?

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:20:05   #
tdekany
 
BebuLamar wrote:
Now I am bothered by the fact that people have to sell their cameras if the manufacturers don't make them any more why? Let assume that Tony is right and there will be no more new M4/3 cameras or lenses introduced then do you have to get rid of the ones you're already have?


M4/3 isn’t going anywhere. Panasonic is about to release a wide angle f1.7 zoom, and the new Olympus flagship em1x is coming out early next year.

An executive very recently said that Olympus is very committed to m4/3 and will continue to produce better and better cameras. There is also a 100-400mm Olympus zoom in the works.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:23:27   #
BebuLamar (a regular here)
 
tdekany wrote:
M4/3 isn’t going anywhere. Panasonic is about to release a wide angle f1.7 zoom, and the new Olympus flagship em1x is coming out early next year.

An executive very recently said that Olympus is very committed to m4/3 and will continue to produce better and better cameras. There is also a 100-400mm Olympus zoom in the works.


We don't know for sure but you missed my point. My point is that assuming they don't make the M4/3 any more why do we have to get rid of our existing cameras?

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:24:44   #
tdekany
 
BebuLamar wrote:
We don't know for sure but you missed my point. My point is that assuming they don't make the M4/3 any more why do we have to get rid of our existing cameras?


You don’t. Who said that?

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:37:33   #
BebuLamar (a regular here)
 
tdekany wrote:
You don’t. Who said that?


Navywife66 said that. She said if Tony is right then everyone with the M4/3 would sell all their equipment.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:45:26   #
PixelStan77 (a regular here)
 
rmalarz wrote:
Tony Northrup a guru?

If Tony Northrup told me what time it was, I'd pray I had a watch so I could check for myself.
--Bob
Well stated Bob!

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:46:30   #
TriX (a regular here)
 
Then there should be loads of “obsolete” lenses and cameras available at great prices for the millions of us who don’t buy Into this sensational BS.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 21:52:27   #
Navywife66
 
BebuLamar wrote:
Navywife66 said that. She said if Tony is right then everyone with the M4/3 would sell all their equipment.

Oh no wait lol,, I said “imagine” if everyone ran out and sold.. not that they would. Ok I feel better now..

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.