Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Sunset Flare Monster!
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Oct 31, 2018 09:53:27   #
Sdubois
 
Pardon the cheap Halloween reference.

Hi All,
For the following image I used a Nikon D850 with a Nikkor 14-24 ISO100 f/14 1/160sec. Is there a better lens that has less lens flare? is there a technique I can use to reduce it?
I read somewhere that the 20mm f/1.8 has very little flare.
Here is the image that would have been much better without the flare.



| Reply
Oct 31, 2018 10:11:54   #
hammond
 
I'm not an expert on this, but using the lens hood might help - stopping the light from hitting your lens is the first step to eliminating lens flare (I understand that's not possible when shooting the sun).
Otherwise, try using a filter.

And yes, higher quality lenses have better coating to reduce lens flare: but I'd try a filter before buying a more costly lens.

And last thing - it's a pretty cool photo you shot anyway!

| Reply
Oct 31, 2018 10:16:52   #
DaveC1
 
Some older Nikkor lenses are noted to have almost no flair. Most of these are primes with decidedly less elements than a typical zoom. Nikkor-Q f4 200mm comes to mind as an example.

| Reply
Oct 31, 2018 11:30:11   #
Sdubois
 
hammond wrote:
I'm not an expert on this, but using the lens hood might help - stopping the light from hitting your lens is the first step to eliminating lens flare (I understand that's not possible when shooting the sun).
Otherwise, try using a filter.

And yes, higher quality lenses have better coating to reduce lens flare: but I'd try a filter before buying a more costly lens.

And last thing - it's a pretty cool photo you shot anyway!



Awe man thank you! as a relative newbie to DSLR photography it's great to hear reinforcing feedback.

| Reply
Oct 31, 2018 11:31:48   #
Sdubois
 
DaveC1 wrote:
Some older Nikkor lenses are noted to have almost no flair. Most of these are primes with decidedly less elements than a typical zoom. Nikkor-Q f4 200mm comes to mind as an example.


Thanks Dave, I agree I need to save my pennies and try another prime for this. I forgot I have a 28mm f/1.4 Rokinon I can try.. will do that today.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 07:41:10   #
Gitchigumi
 
Did you have a filter on the lens? Could the flare be coming from that? Shooting into the sun certainly presents challenges.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 07:55:50   #
traderjohn (a regular here)
 
Sdubois wrote:
Thanks Dave, I agree I need to save my pennies and try another prime for this. I forgot I have a 28mm f/1.4 Rokinon I can try.. will do that today.


Sorry....NO...NO. You can take another picture of the same scene. It will never be the same. You can never cross the same stream twice. Along the way, you have disturbed the environment of the stream. Philosophy Professor's favorite quote from college days. Anyway, very nice picture. Please post the second picture.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 08:45:33   #
RichieC
 
Well probably you didn't spot it when taking the photo, or you could slightly change orientation of lens, so flair occurs elsewhere in the frame, then combine the two images to cover the flair area with just the area from image two.

You run the risk of lens flair on every lens surface- so the less lenses in your lens design, the better. So zooms can be more problematic than prime... And of course if you have a UV filter or similar on- that one is flat- potentially the worst culprit... so remove it if you have one on.

While it will take tedious long while, retouch it out. You have the right perspective on the left side... flip it around. nobody but you would know. Its a nice shot.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 10:45:22   #
jayd
 
Question is are you shooting with any kind of a filter on the lens. Any filter on the front of a lens can contribute to cause flare.
The light can bounce between the lens and filter. (JMHO Worth exactly what was paid for it)

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 15:49:01   #
chipmt2
 
I have a Nikor 14-24 lens and experience the same flair as in sdubois's photo when shooting into the sun. I may be wrong, but I don't think this lens accommodates a screw on filter because of the pronounced curvature of the front element.

| Reply
Nov 1, 2018 18:00:30   #
John_F (a regular here)
 
The interesting part of the flare pattern are the pairs of beams and the circular symmetry. Next opportunity take several with the sun fairly close to the corners. Would the circular pattern of pair flare beams change. The try a different lens. Different lenses would have different glass surface radii of curvature which could alter the patterns.

| Reply
Nov 2, 2018 00:17:51   #
woodweasel (a regular here)
 
love it

| Reply
Nov 6, 2018 17:21:45   #
Bipod
 
DaveC1 wrote:
Some older Nikkor lenses are noted to have almost no flair. Most of these are primes with decidedly less elements than a typical zoom. Nikkor-Q f4 200mm comes to mind as an example.



| Reply
Nov 6, 2018 18:22:23   #
Bipod
 
Sdubois wrote:
Pardon the cheap Halloween reference.

Hi All,
For the following image I used a Nikon D850 with a Nikkor 14-24 ISO100 f/14 1/160sec. Is there a better lens that has less lens flare? is there a technique I can use to reduce it?
I read somewhere that the 20mm f/1.8 has very little flare.
Here is the image that would have been much better without the flare.

It was a great idea to take that shot. But shooting into the sun is the worst possible
case for flare (and a hood won't help). A zoom is pretty hopeless in that situation.

Also, there is noticable barrel distortion in addition to the perspective distortion
one would expect (the grass all appears to be leaning away from the lens).
Do you happen to know off hand the focal length setting that you used?
If it was very short, then barrel distortion is to be expected.

If you decided to carry a couple of prime lenses instead, you would reduce flare,
gain contrast, and perhaps reduce some barrel distortion.

Nikon's official list of recommended lenses for the D850 includes your zoom,
and the following ultra-wide and wide prime lenses:
AF NIKKOR 14mm f/2.8D ED*
AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G
AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G
*--not "nano-crystal coated"

Maybe somebody here knows what available from Tamron, Sigma, etc.

It's not a bad zoom---far from it. But sometimes a zoom is not the optimal lens.
Quite often actually.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2018 09:23:57   #
boberic (a regular here)
 
Sdubois wrote:
Pardon the cheap Halloween reference.

Hi All,
For the following image I used a Nikon D850 with a Nikkor 14-24 ISO100 f/14 1/160sec. Is there a better lens that has less lens flare? is there a technique I can use to reduce it?
I read somewhere that the 20mm f/1.8 has very little flare.
Here is the image that would have been much better without the flare.


I don't care what camera or what lens is used. When shooting into the sun, flare is always a possibility. There is only 1 way to avoid it--don't shoot directly into the sun.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.