Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Croatia - Plitvice National Park
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Oct 3, 2018 17:53:34   #
JanetG
 
Planning a trip soon to Croatia... a new destination for me. On the list is an outing to Plitvice National Park. I understand it has several lakes and MANY waterfalls. Has anyone visited there? Any advice on must "capture" locations in Croatia and/or in the Park?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Janet

| Reply
Oct 3, 2018 18:15:10   #
exakta56
 
Old Town of Labin settled 860 AD very nice assortment of buildings.

| Reply
Oct 3, 2018 18:19:49   #
Bullfrog Bill
 
We were there 3 years ago for two days. Spectacular, there are trails to walk and see all the falls. You need wide angle and short tel. Food in the park, not so good.

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 05:45:10   #
Peter W
 
Get there early (7.30 am, ish) to beat the bus loads of tourists. A tripod is an advantage.

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 06:09:24   #
miked46
 
The park is beautiful, lakes, waterfalls, and many landscape shots. I was there once and will go back again. Enjoy, it is beautiful

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 07:56:24   #
Fayle
 
JanetG wrote:
Planning a trip soon to Croatia... a new destination for me. On the list is an outing to Plitvice National Park. I understand it has several lakes and MANY waterfalls. Has anyone visited there? Any advice on must "capture" locations in Croatia and/or in the Park?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Janet


I was there in 2016 and had a great time.
Some photos on my website:
https://www.fayledvisionphotography.com/Europe/Croatia-2016/i-SwhjCL4/A

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 08:58:40   #
Lagoonguy
 
JanetG wrote:
Planning a trip soon to Croatia... a new destination for me. On the list is an outing to Plitvice National Park. I understand it has several lakes and MANY waterfalls. Has anyone visited there? Any advice on must "capture" locations in Croatia and/or in the Park?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Janet


You are in for a treat. Plitvice National Park defies the imagination. It almost doesn’t seem real. We had a wonderful time there in 2009. A 24-105 or 120 would work well. A 16-35 may be nice for certain shots but you may not want to be changing lenses with the enormous crowds that will be there. The walkways over the water get very crowded. The park buses are jammed and too much equipment will be problematic. At the time I used a Nikon 18-200 but now I would use something a little wider. Do all you can to just take it in and don’t let your photo taking dominate your time there. It is simply marvelous. Get there as early as possible in the morning. Lucky you!

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 09:31:19   #
JanetG
 
Thanks! I'll see if we will be in the area. Sounds very interesting.

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 09:35:56   #
JanetG
 
I was there in 2016 and had a great time.
Some photos on my website:
https://www.fayledvisionphotography.com/Europe/Croatia-2016/i-SwhjCL4/A

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for the inspiration!
Janet

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 09:48:30   #
JanetG
 
Lagoonguy wrote:
You are in for a treat. Plitvice National Park defies the imagination. It almost doesn’t seem real. We had a wonderful time there in 2009. A 24-105 or 120 would work well. A 16-35 may be nice for certain shots but you may not want to be changing lenses with the enormous crowds that will be there. The walkways over the water get very crowded. The park buses are jammed and too much equipment will be problematic. At the time I used a Nikon 18-200 but now I would use something a little wider. Do all you can to just take it in and don’t let your photo taking dominate your time there. It is simply marvelous. Get there as early as possible in the morning. Lucky you!
You are in for a treat. Plitvice National Park def... (show quote)


Thanks! The photos I have seen are amazing and don't seem real. I want to capture EVERYTHING! BUT also realize the walkway does not have a rail. :) Hoping Autumn foliage will have started that that will add to the beauty!
Janet

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 10:23:07   #
sabfish
 
We were just there a few weeks ago. BEWARE! It was extremely crowded and Roma people were working the crowds. One member of our group (an excursion from a small cruise ship) had his wallet stolen from his camera backpack. My wife's backpack (not camera, just clothes) had her backpack unzipped. Someone told us they would hold up a towel (many people swim at the bottom where many of the falls empty into a river) so no one could see their accomplice unzip the backpacks. It is quite beautiful and I got some nice shots using a 55-200 zoom on my Nikon D7100 (APS-C sensor).

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 12:14:57   #
VJG
 
Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

| Reply
Oct 4, 2018 13:57:26   #
JanetG
 
sabfish wrote:
We were just there a few weeks ago. BEWARE! It was extremely crowded and Roma people were working the crowds. One member of our group (an excursion from a small cruise ship) had his wallet stolen from his camera backpack. My wife's backpack (not camera, just clothes) had her backpack unzipped. Someone told us they would hold up a towel (many people swim at the bottom where many of the falls empty into a river) so no one could see their accomplice unzip the backpacks. It is quite beautiful and I got some nice shots using a 55-200 zoom on my Nikon D7100 (APS-C sensor).
We were just there a few weeks ago. BEWARE! It was... (show quote)


WOW, Sabfish! Thanks for the warning! I will be extra careful and will share that info with the friends I'm traveling with. Sometimes I just feel so naïve! This summer I was in Yellowstone NP. Seems that people were very helpful and in a rather helpful mode. I forget that some people in almost all parts of the world function very differently and think others "stuff" is there for the taking if they can figure out how to get it.
Janet

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.