Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Why the Hostility?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Sep 4, 2018 07:26:18   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
People here have been complaining about the hostility of some posters for years. Many members have left because of the vicious comments made so often. I wonder why there is such nastiness and arrogance in so many posts. Yes, some people ask what others think are stupid questions. They're asking because they don't know something. Of course, they could use Google or try to find the answer in a manual, but this forum exists to discuss and answer photographic questions, so we should be open to receiving those questions. I spend quite a bit of time on other - non-photo - forums, and I have never seen anything like what we have here. If someone even hints at rude comments, others remind him to be courteous and civilized. Is there something about photography that makes people behave like this?

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:33:33   #
Kraken (a regular here)
 
It's the trump syndrome

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:34:31   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
I think it's more the anonymity of being behind a screen and keyboard.
I always wonder if they respond to their friends the same way.
Plus, there is a ton of people on the forum, so the odds are higher that people like that will show up.

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:37:16   #
alby
 
Kraken wrote:
It's the trump syndrome


YES.......nastiness IS getting worse than ever...

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:39:01   #
jaymatt (a regular here)
 
Kraken wrote:
It's the trump syndrome


Yeah right.

What Jerry is addressing has been going on for since I’ve been a member. It’s ridiculous to bring politics into this discussion. Come people are just curmudgeons.

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:40:53   #
bobmcculloch (a regular here)
 
Kraken wrote:
It's the trump syndrome


It's just how some people are

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:42:05   #
RonBoyd
 
I believe it is a combination of two things.

1. the anonymity, of course -- it gives a person the ability to speak without much thought behind the words (well, more than usual).

2. The written word is so easily misunderstood. I have posted many things over the years that were taken the exact opposite of what I meant... and there have been times when trying to correct things just made it worse. The sound of a voice and facial expressions are so important in human communication.

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:42:20   #
Brucej67
 
I agree Jerry there has been from a low volume of people chide or nasty remarks, however I notice that those people also do not stay around UHH long and quit bothering members. The site mirrors society, which are diverse and not everyone plays nice.

jerryc41 wrote:
People here have been complaining about the hostility of some posters for years. Many members have left because of the vicious comments made so often. I wonder why there is such nastiness and arrogance in so many posts. Yes, some people ask what others think are stupid questions. They're asking because they don't know something. Of course, they could use Google or try to find the answer in a manual, but this forum exists to discuss and answer photographic questions, so we should be open to receiving those questions. I spend quite a bit of time on other - non-photo - forums, and I have never seen anything like what we have here. If someone even hints at rude comments, others remind him to be courteous and civilized. Is there something about photography that makes people behave like this?
People here have been complaining about the hostil... (show quote)

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:42:39   #
Old Timer
 
If you watch tv, on Facebook, or Twitter you will find the answer. Tv's most popular shows are the reality shows. Judge Judy, Dr Phil as well as other shows, our President and some other politicians. Society is a reflection of our culture by our leaders. It seems that peaceful, respectful. thoughtful, and tolerance do not sell or attract attention. We have very few leaders that step forward and set and example. We just lost one man who did but was critiquized by his own party at times for not towing the party line. I get annoyed by folks in general for not use the tools and information available but to take the lazy way out. If researched and look up info you will probably learn some other facts as well. How many folks by a high priced tool and fail to learn to use it to maximum capabilities. As my grand father use to say just human nature.

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:43:50   #
Kraken (a regular here)
 
jaymatt wrote:
Yeah right.

What Jerry is addressing has been going on for since I’ve been a member. It’s ridiculous to bring politics into this discussion. Come people are just curmudgeons.


Not at like it has been in the last two years. I have been here just as long as you.

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:51:27   #
jaymatt (a regular here)
 
Kraken wrote:
Not at like it has been in the last two years. I have been here just as long as you.


You are wrong. It’s been like this for a long time, and it’s no better or worse than it ever was.

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 07:54:25   #
Sam Dog
 
Well I am most definitely not a professional, even if I make couple of bucks of some photo's I have taken. I like to know what settings are used at times. I know some do not want to share. I have seen photos and said, I am going to photograph that myself and have. In doing so I know many here, post process so much. So my question would be is it what you photographed? Have I post processed, very little because I know little about it. I have lightroom 6 still in a box unopened. I have used the HDR tool for color and clarity. No photoshop, no changing of a background. I to try to keep it as natural as possible. Hoever the Milky Way I may try a little more but so far it's just that HDR tool and have never tried anything on RAW format.

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 08:00:04   #
Sirsnapalot
 
jerryc41 wrote:
People here have been complaining about the hostility of some posters for years. Many members have left because of the vicious comments made so often. I wonder why there is such nastiness and arrogance in so many posts. Yes, some people ask what others think are stupid questions. They're asking because they don't know something. Of course, they could use Google or try to find the answer in a manual, but this forum exists to discuss and answer photographic questions, so we should be open to receiving those questions. I spend quite a bit of time on other - non-photo - forums, and I have never seen anything like what we have here. If someone even hints at rude comments, others remind him to be courteous and civilized. Is there something about photography that makes people behave like this?
People here have been complaining about the hostil... (show quote)


Some people are alone in life with no one to converse, so they inject inflammatory matter into a post just to get a reaction, then the back in forth argument makes them feel important.
That's the only thing that I can figure!

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 08:00:44   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Sam Dog wrote:
Well I am most definitely not a professional, even if I make couple of bucks of some photo's I have taken. I like to know what settings are used at times. I know some do not want to share. I have seen photos and said, I am going to photograph that myself and have. In doing so I know many here, post process so much. So my question would be is it what you photographed? Have I post processed, very little because I know little about it. I have lightroom 6 still in a box unopened. I have used the HDR tool for color and clarity. No photoshop, no changing of a background. I to try to keep it as natural as possible. Hoever the Milky Way I may try a little more but so far it's just that HDR tool and have never tried anything on RAW format.
Well I am most definitely not a professional, even... (show quote)

Wrong thread maybe?

| Reply
Sep 4, 2018 08:05:26   #
khumiston
 
Well said.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.