Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Why Leica body?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Aug 11, 2018 06:22:14   #
Architect1776 (a regular here)
 
lesdmd wrote:
I understand that reviews claim Leica builds a camera made expressly for B&W photography and that it is clearly superior to any other digital product on the market. If true, purchasing a unique product is always worth the expense to some.
I also know the reputation that Leica lenses hold. The question is are Leica bodies worthy of the prices they command, or is one primarily purchasing a status label?

Lovers of Leica talk about quality of build and, in the same breath, the inconvenience
of having service done only in Germany. They speak of simplicity of design while conceding that their cameras lack some of the sophisticated features offered by other name brands. I hear some people say it is a joy to hold their Leica; and that the shutter sound is beautiful; but is this mostly a rationalization for what the had to pay?
I understand that reviews claim Leica builds a cam... (show quote)


Today it is 99% status symbol and justifying having overpaid for an inferior technology camera. Has one ever scored 100 on the over worshiped DXO score? Not that I am aware of. If they were so good they would be selling much more. Especially seeing as their prices are in line with high end Canon, Nikon and Sony products.
Only die hard status seeking people still buy them.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 06:27:30   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
lesdmd wrote:
I understand that reviews claim Leica builds a camera made expressly for B&W photography and that it is clearly superior to any other digital product on the market. If true, purchasing a unique product is always worth the expense to some.
I also know the reputation that Leica lenses hold. The question is are Leica bodies worthy of the prices they command, or is one primarily purchasing a status label?

Lovers of Leica talk about quality of build and, in the same breath, the inconvenience
of having service done only in Germany. They speak of simplicity of design while conceding that their cameras lack some of the sophisticated features offered by other name brands. I hear some people say it is a joy to hold their Leica; and that the shutter sound is beautiful; but is this mostly a rationalization for what the had to pay?
I understand that reviews claim Leica builds a cam... (show quote)


My film Leica IIIc was a joy to use, colors right off the charts. I do not believe their digital line is any better than other bodies, BUT THE LENSES.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 06:43:47   #
rpavich
 
Architect1776 wrote:
Today it is 99% status symbol and justifying having overpaid for an inferior technology camera.


No it isn't. That may be the reason in your case but not others.

I owned one to find out if they were as good as the hype....answer: they are. They are the best built, smoothest, most joyful camera to use that I've ever owned. No other camera ever came close to being that amazingly engineered.

Now, as I said, there were other reasons that I sold mine and just now use basic DSLR's but I can tell you point blank, it's not a status symbol for me, or for anyone that I know that shoots one.


Quote:
Has one ever scored 100 on the over worshiped DXO score? Not that I am aware of.


I gotta say...who cares? I certainly don't and nobody I know cares.


Quote:
If they were so good they would be selling much more.


They are good, but they are just a product like anything else. If you want one you buy it...it's that simple.


Quote:
Especially seeing as their prices are in line with high end Canon, Nikon and Sony products.
Only die hard status seeking people still buy them.


That's just ignorant.

Just like any other product, folks buy them because they want one. Period.


I could point to any camera and say that it was only bought because it was a status symbol..if it weren't, we'd all be using 20 year old Canon Rebels because they work just fine and anyone who wants something more or different is just a poser who craves status and is stupid to pay so much!

Not very good logic is it?


So..have you ever owned a Leica?

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 07:18:20   #
Architect1776 (a regular here)
 
rpavich wrote:
That's just ignorant.

Just like any other product, folks buy them because they want one. Period.


I could point to any camera and say that it was only bought because it was a status symbol..if it weren't, we'd all be using 20 year old Canon Rebels because they work just fine and anyone who wants something more or different is just a poser who craves status and is stupid to pay so much!

Not very good logic is it?


So..have you ever owned a Leica?


I owned a Leica rangefinder, used, got it at a good price while working at TCR.
Yes, they are well engineered and operate well. Sort of like the over engineered German tanks in WWII.
The Leica is just a status symbol. If it were so great it would be dominating the professional world as I said previously there is no difference in price at the top end cameras.
Optics, Canon I know makes several lenses that are superior to the Leitz lenses.
All their lenses with Fluorite crystals are superior and if you notice 45 years later even Nikon is finally using these crystals.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 07:26:59   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
Getting a good reputation in the market can allow for a higher selling price. Can manufacturing costs really be double or triple the costs other companies? Does it really cost Leica that much more to service their cameras? A lot of the praise for Leica involves emotion, and that's fine. Here are some non-factual words from Leica reviews: an experience, renewed love affair, best ever made, respect, shine through, enjoying, cherished it, the feel, perfect 10, flawlessly. These terms could be applied to any product by any person.

For whatever reason, Leica does not include features that are standard on most cameras. One review listed ten features that are missing from an expensive Leica but are available on most consumer-level cameras. I thought one comment by a reviewer was amusing. Leica doesn't include a Delete button on the camera because the pictures are so good, you'll never have to delete any. : ) So, ultimately, people buy Leicas because they like Leicas, for whatever reason: image quality, durability, prestige, or just because they can.

If you're able and willing to pay more, then get a Leica.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 07:29:59   #
rpavich
 
Architect1776 wrote:
I owned a Leica rangefinder, used, got it at a good price while working at TCR.


So you only bought it for the status and being a poser right? You couldn't have bought it because you wanted it...right?

Quote:

Yes, they are well engineered and operate well. Sort of like the over engineered German tanks in WWII.
The Leica is just a status symbol.


There you go again offering your suppositions as if you could possibly know the motives of buyers of a certain camera. Now...maybe in YOUR case that was it..you just wanted a status symbol...you could know that.

Quote:
If it were so great it would be dominating the professional world as I said previously there is no difference in price at the top end cameras.


Not necessarily. People buy what works for them, Period. End of story. Some folks don't like rangefinders...some do. Some don't want the features of a Leica, some do.

Just like any other product.


Quote:
Optics, Canon I know makes several lenses that are superior to the Leitz lenses.


You forgot to say "in my opinion...." because "superior" or not is a preference.

Quote:
All their lenses with Fluorite crystals are superior and if you notice 45 years later even Nikon is finally using these crystals.


Whatever.

You keep projecting your reasoning on to others when it's unwarranted. If you don't like them..fine...don't use them, but to disparage others because they do like and use them...again...ignorance of the highest degree. You can do better.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 07:37:53   #
waegwan
 
Julian wrote:
Why own a Leica? For the same reason we drive a Ferrari to Walmart, write notes with Mont Blanc pens and keep track of time with Rolex watches... simply because we can. No reason, no excuses.


and because they are what I can afford, L Series Canon lenses.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 07:45:38   #
rpavich
 
Canon L Lenses are just a status symbol and anyone who buys one is just a poser wanna-be.

The regular black lenses are good enough!

For that matter...anyone who owns a Nikon beyond the D90 is also a status chaser wanna-be poser because the D90 is good enough and anything more is just about puffing yourself up!

Right?

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 07:49:29   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
rpavich wrote:
For that matter...anyone who owns a Nikon beyond the D90 is also a status chaser wanna-be poser because the D90 is good enough and anything more is just about puffing yourself up!

Right?


I think you're on to something there. The other day, I took pictures (D750) for a group, and one of the people said, "You must have a very expensive camera." I know we always hear that as a joke, this this was a real comment. So, consider me "puffed up."

At the end of the day, all that matters is being able to pay our bills after buying the best toys we can afford.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 07:52:29   #
bsmith52
 
rgrenaderphoto wrote:
Leica is like a religion with those who shoot with them. And yes, if you shelled out $8000 for a mirrorless camera body and had to spend $2400 on a 50 mm lens to take Monochrome images, you'd have religion too.

Maybe just go to Staples and get some self adhesive red dots?


😄

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 08:02:33   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
rgrenaderphoto wrote:
Maybe just go to Staples and get some self adhesive red dots?




Wasn't Leica selling "Leica" dots of some kind a while back?

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 08:26:06   #
camerapapi (a regular here)
 
The quality of construction of Leica bodies is equal to none although as it has been said, many of those bodies lack modern technologies as found in Japanese cameras. I have little experience with their lenses because I have never been a Leica fan. I know they are well built and have very good optics but there are also many optics in the market that rival Leica in quality at a fraction of their prices.
In my humble opinion Leica products are overpriced but they keep selling because many people want to get the best. Yes, Leica by now is a symbol and people are willing to pay the price.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 08:26:15   #
waegwan
 
rpavich wrote:
Canon L Lenses are just a status symbol and anyone who buys one is just a poser wanna-be.

The regular black lenses are good enough!

For that matter...anyone who owns a Nikon beyond the D90 is also a status chaser wanna-be poser because the D90 is good enough and anything more is just about puffing yourself up!

Right?


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-) I also ride a Harley Davidson Springer and wear mechanical watches with in-house movement :D simply because I enjoy them. Oh yea and I consider myself a shy introvert.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 08:49:28   #
Architect1776 (a regular here)
 
rpavich wrote:
Whatever.

You keep projecting your reasoning on to others when it's unwarranted. If you don't like them..fine...don't use them, but to disparage others because they do like and use them...again...ignorance of the highest degree. You can do better.


No, I bought it to see what it was all about. Kept it perhaps 6-8 months and got rid of it. No regrets at all. I did keep a lens to use on my Canon rangefinder camera that I liked better. Lens was not kept for quality, just didn't want to buy another one and it worked just fine on my Canon.

| Reply
Aug 11, 2018 09:03:34   #
Tomcat5133
 
I posted this in another subject but here it is again. My wife bought this Leica for my birthday about 14 years ago.
What it said on the bottom of the Leica was made in Japan. It was a budget price at maybe a $1000. I like the camera
and made in my b&w experiment for a while. LEICA DIGILUX 2. Adding to the story it failed maybe 6 months in and
had a bad sensor. I sent in for warranty took 2 months to get camera back. PS Leica was partnered with Panasonic.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.