Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
The rest of the story...
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Jun 26, 2018 12:11:42   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
In a recent post there was a discussion about the difficulty of picking that one best shot, possibly among many, to share or post here. I think it was Cwilson341 who wisely pointed out the dangers of posting too many very similar shots of the same subject, thus detracting from your best shot. Posting six shots of the same bird is almost certain to challenge anyone'™s attention span. But the thing is, when I am lucky enough to have a good subject in good light and that subject decides to tolerate my clicking away.....well I'™m going to click away. I spent a lot of time with this handsome bird and I have made use of my favorite shots in three previous posts. In the earlier posted shots the ruffled feathers were a prominent feature and this set tells the rest of the story. This Peregrine Falcon was involved in some deep grooming and was not about to be disturbed by some fool with a camera.


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 12:17:46   #
UTMike Loc: South Jordan, UT
 
Very nice set!

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 12:22:38   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
Very nice series. I do agree with picking the best of a series, unless the series illustrates a story.
--Bob
rockdog wrote:
In a recent post there was a discussion about the difficulty of picking that one best shot, possibly among many, to share or post here. I think it was Cwilson341 who wisely pointed out the dangers of posting too many very similar shots of the same subject, thus detracting from your best shot. Posting six shots of the same bird is almost certain to challenge anyone'™s attention span. But the thing is, when I am lucky enough to have a good subject in good light and that subject decides to tolerate my clicking away.....well I'™m going to click away. I spent a lot of time with this handsome bird and I have made use of my favorite shots in three previous posts. In the earlier posted shots the ruffled feathers were a prominent feature and this set tells the rest of the story. This Peregrine Falcon was involved in some deep grooming and was not about to be disturbed by some fool with a camera.
In a recent post there was a discussion about the ... (show quote)

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 12:25:24   #
Linda From Maine Loc: Yakima, Washington State, home since 2002
 
How fun, Phil! And the "rest of the story" does tell a story. Many times multiple photos don't. In this case one story for me is similar to what you suggested in your opening: this is one clean bird

I haven't been fortunate enough to see a Peregrine here even though I heard they were earning a good living one summer right downtown, chasing pigeons into a chain link fence!

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 12:33:48   #
WJB Loc: Salisbury, MD
 
Thanks Phil-they're terrific!
I'll probably never see these in the wild (peregrines are over in Blackwater but not here).
But I just learned that I might catch a shot on a plane some time. Falcons are allowed as carry-on luggage, at least
some places. (oyster.com)

Bill B.

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 12:47:22   #
Cwilson341 Loc: Central Florida
 
Phil, these are great shots! You just need one more to finish the story - a shot of him sleek and well groomed when it was all over!

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 12:51:17   #
spudkota Loc: Black Hills S.Dak
 
Very Nice , put me right there , Thanks

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 14:19:45   #
BigAl Loc: Lincs UK
 
rockdog wrote:
In a recent post there was a discussion about the difficulty of picking that one best shot, possibly among many, to share or post here. I think it was Cwilson341 who wisely pointed out the dangers of posting too many very similar shots of the same subject, thus detracting from your best shot. Posting six shots of the same bird is almost certain to challenge anyone'™s attention span. But the thing is, when I am lucky enough to have a good subject in good light and that subject decides to tolerate my clicking away.....well I'™m going to click away. I spent a lot of time with this handsome bird and I have made use of my favorite shots in three previous posts. In the earlier posted shots the ruffled feathers were a prominent feature and this set tells the rest of the story. This Peregrine Falcon was involved in some deep grooming and was not about to be disturbed by some fool with a camera.
In a recent post there was a discussion about the ... (show quote)


cracking shots Phil, well caught

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 14:59:11   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
UTMike wrote:
Very nice set!


Thank you Mike!

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 15:04:17   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
rmalarz wrote:
Very nice series. I do agree with picking the best of a series, unless the series illustrates a story.
--Bob


Thanks Bob I appreciate your comment. Squeezing multiple topics from a single photo opportunity is no doubt pushing it, but this was an engaging subject.

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 15:13:14   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
Linda From Maine wrote:
How fun, Phil! And the "rest of the story" does tell a story. Many times multiple photos don't. In this case one story for me is similar to what you suggested in your opening: this is one clean bird

I haven't been fortunate enough to see a Peregrine here even though I heard they were earning a good living one summer right downtown, chasing pigeons into a chain link fence!


Thank you Linda. Yes, clean and well fed. She was still there and hour later when I returned on the auto-loop. I have an interest in wild things living on the margin of human civilization. Peregrines have become quite the urban bird, as you mentioned following the food....pigeons mmmm!

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 15:16:03   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
WJB wrote:
Thanks Phil-they're terrific!
I'll probably never see these in the wild (peregrines are over in Blackwater but not here).
But I just learned that I might catch a shot on a plane some time. Falcons are allowed as carry-on luggage, at least
some places. (oyster.com)

Bill B.


Thanks Bill! You might see them in NYC. Falcons on a plane, Duck, Duck!

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 15:18:12   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
Cwilson341 wrote:
Phil, these are great shots! You just need one more to finish the story - a shot of him sleek and well groomed when it was all over!


Thanks Carol. As I mentioned to Linda, I think she was too full of duck to look sleek.

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 15:19:04   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
spudkota wrote:
Very Nice , put me right there , Thanks


You are welcome and thank you for the visit and kind words.

| Reply
Jun 26, 2018 15:23:31   #
rockdog Loc: S F Bay Area
 
Bigal wrote:
cracking shots Phil, well caught


Thanks for the visit and kind comments Alan. Hope all is well with you.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.