Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Top 10 things when buying
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Mar 31, 2018 13:15:48   #
Rashid Abdu
 
It is a bit pricey, with steep learning curve, but you may consider the "many cameras in one", Sony Rx10 1V

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 13:23:25   #
Tomcat5133
 
Sony A6000 and the Sony E 18-105 f4.0 G OSS. Great choice from poster. I would upgrade to a6300 or 6500 if you can spend the cash.
Difference 6500 has stabilization that is very good. Another thought is the Sony RX10 bridge camera series. I have the RX10 III 24 600 4k
all-in-one great everything. Zeiss lens still and video are great. You can buy the RX10 II with 24 200 for I for less money. And the newest RX10 IV Cyber-Shot High Zoom 20.1MP Camera 24-600mm F.2.4-F4 lens Filter Kit
Good luck.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 13:49:22   #
LoneRangeFinder
 
Rashid Abdu wrote:
It is a bit pricey, with steep learning curve, but you may consider the "many cameras in one", Sony Rx10 1V

If I’m ever fortunate enough to go on a safari, I’ll budget for one of these and leave everything else home. Range, no lens changes in a dusty environment.... what’s not to like.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 14:13:25   #
BHC
 
PeterBergh wrote:
It's not in my unabridged Webster's of 1989.

I believe I was very specific about which dictionary to consult. Could you please be equally specific as to which dictionary you consulted? Thank you.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 14:56:41   #
taterwon
 
am not promoting a book here ,but what has helped me on camera gear is Tony Northrup's Photography Buying Guide . It has cameras ,lenses , some other advise on buying used, etc . I found it useful, good luck to you!

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 15:19:49   #
ChristianHJensen
 
I am not sure why you would think mirrorless would be the most important feature. Some would say that it shouldn't be on the list at all.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 16:12:31   #
Leon S
 
JPL wrote:
Ok, I think you already have a camera in mind that will be a good choice. Grab the D7200 and the 18-140 lens and you are well set to record the beauty of your life. There are other cameras that can also do it pretty well but this one is a good choice so no need to look any further.


good advice. This is a much better camera and lens than what I started with. Don't spend so much that you don't have gas money to take trips to use your camera. The camera and lens are not that hard to learn on and good enough for years to come.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 16:19:18   #
digit-up
 
wormtownspawn wrote:
Dick
is though



| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 17:55:17   #
aellman
 
foathog wrote:
Look "lense" up in the dictionary. IT'S NOT THERE



I guess you didn't do a lot of checking. "Lense" is accepted as an alternative spelling
by Webster's Third New International Dictionary. Even if your statement were
true, compared to the usual grammar and spelling mistakes here, it's not even worth
a mention. Apparently, many posters think it's OK to spell words the way they sound
regardless of the correct spelling (like "their" and "there" and "whose" and "who's.")
In the worst cases, I have seen posts in which the language was so tangled I couldn't
even tell what the poster was talking about.

> Alan

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 20:33:48   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
ChristianHJensen wrote:
I am not sure why you would think mirrorless would be the most important feature. Some would say that it shouldn't be on the list at all.


For me, mirrorless is the most important thing because I have everything I need in my viewfinder. I get continuous live view, and can toggle to get live histogram (before the shot), focus peaking including depth of field, highlight zebras, check and change settings, adjust exposure compensation and review the capture all without lifting my eye off the viewfinder. I need reading glasses, so chimping to the rear screen would mean the frustration of putting my glasses on everytime I wanted to review the shot. With mirrorless, I just adjust the diopter to my eyes and then I don't need my glasses at all.

When I can do all of that with a DSLR I'll consider one. Until then a DSLR is a non starter for me.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 21:20:53   #
ChristianHJensen
 
repleo wrote:
For me, mirrorless is the most important thing because I have everything I need in my viewfinder. I get continuous live view, and can toggle to get live histogram (before the shot), focus peaking including depth of field, highlight zebras, check and change settings, adjust exposure compensation and review the capture all without lifting my eye off the viewfinder. I need reading glasses, so chimping to the rear screen would mean the frustration of putting my glasses on everytime I wanted to review the shot. With mirrorless, I just adjust the diopter to my eyes and then I don't need my glasses at all.

When I can do all of that with a DSLR I'll consider one. Until then a DSLR is a non starter for me.
For me, mirrorless is the most important thing bec... (show quote)


That may be fine for you and you should certainly do what you want. I just thought your list was kinda curious as you put mirrorless as your highest priority without any qualifiers as to why.

I am in the camp of DSLR's and would not even consider a mirrorless at the current point in time

Horses for courses.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 21:25:53   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
ChristianHJensen wrote:
That may be fine for you and you should certainly do what you want. I just thought your list was kinda curious as you put mirrorless as your highest priority without any qualifiers as to why.

I am in the camp of DSLR's and would not even consider a mirrorless at the current point in time

Horses for courses.


Sometimes you need to get off your horse and check that it is not a donkey.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2018 22:21:57   #
ChristianHJensen
 
repleo wrote:
Sometimes you need to get off your horse and check that it is not a donkey.


Oh - I have played with one on loan and am not a fan -

| Reply
Apr 1, 2018 04:03:27   #
GreenDruid
 
D7200 is a fantastic camera.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2018 09:20:16   #
Hbuk66
 
Buy a used Nikon D300(300-450) and a Nikon 24-85 f3.5 ED VR lens(600-800). You will not be disappointed.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.