Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Nikon D3300 Picture Control Settings
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Dec 25, 2017 10:37:48   #
bobishkan Loc: Fort Myers Sunny Florida
 
Hi Everybody and Merry Christmas: If you change the picture control settings, like contrast, saturation, etc on a Nikon D3300, in Program mode, do those same settings change automatically also in A,S,M or do you have to change them in each mode also? Awaiting to hear from our experts! Thanks Bob

| Reply
Dec 25, 2017 10:49:27   #
CO
 
The picture controls alter the .jpeg files out of the camera. The mode doesn't matter. There's a tip I know for picture controls. Nikon sets the default sharpening for the picture controls low at level 3. Nikon expert, Ken Rockwell, recommends going through all of the picture controls - standard, neutral, vivid, monochrome, and all of the others, and increasing the sharpening to level 6. I set mine to level 6 sharpening. I shoot RAW but sometimes RAW + JPEG fine.

| Reply
Dec 25, 2017 11:05:24   #
YelveMaster Loc: southwestern New Hampshire
 
CO wrote:
The picture controls alter the .jpeg files out of the camera. The mode doesn't matter. There's a tip I know for picture controls. Nikon sets the default sharpening for the picture controls low at level 3. Nikon expert, Ken Rockwell, recommends going through all of the picture controls - standard, neutral, vivid, monochrome, and all of the others, and increasing the sharpening to level 6. I set mine to level 6 sharpening. I shoot RAW but sometimes RAW + JPEG fine.


CO, is this only available on D3300 (and older)? I can't find sharpening controls on my D3400.

| Reply
Dec 25, 2017 12:35:45   #
OutBack Loc: North Central Florida
 
No NO NO, they will stay where you set them in "PMAS" but there are many changes that are dropped in other modes when you turn the CAM off. I just love "M" mode.

| Reply
Dec 25, 2017 13:41:15   #
rgrenaderphoto Loc: Hollywood, CA
 
The picture controls - standard, neutral, vivid, monochrome only make sense if you are shooting JPEG files, not with RAW.

| Reply
Dec 25, 2017 14:31:31   #
CO
 
YelveMaster wrote:
CO, is this only available on D3300 (and older)? I can't find sharpening controls on my D3400.


I'm not familiar with the D3400. This is from my D7000 manual. Sharpening is there. Look in your manual under picture controls


(Download)

| Reply
Dec 25, 2017 16:04:51   #
IDguy Loc: Idaho
 
rgrenaderphoto wrote:
The picture controls - standard, neutral, vivid, monochrome only make sense if you are shooting JPEG files, not with RAW.


More like “are only applied to jpeg files”.

| Reply
Dec 26, 2017 09:19:47   #
camerapapi Loc: Miami, Fl.
 
As has been stated Picture Control only applies to JPEG files. Even when I use JPEG files my sharpening is kept low and during editing I apply sharpening paying attention to halos, which mean too much sharpening has been applied.

| Reply
Dec 27, 2017 00:06:30   #
YelveMaster Loc: southwestern New Hampshire
 
CO wrote:
I'm not familiar with the D3400. This is from my D7000 manual. Sharpening is there. Look in your manual under picture controls


The closest I can come in the D3400 manual is something that refers to "adjust outline thickness" in liveview. What you're referring to is apparently a feature of a more advanced model.

But what a radical idea, looking at the manual!

| Reply
Dec 27, 2017 08:58:17   #
IDguy Loc: Idaho
 
Try this. Are you using the free Nikon Manual Viewer? If a paper one comes with the camera it might be a summary.

This is from the D3400 manual.



| Reply
Dec 27, 2017 14:41:37   #
YelveMaster Loc: southwestern New Hampshire
 
IDguy wrote:
Try this. Are you using the free Nikon Manual Viewer? If a paper one comes with the camera it might be a summary.

This is from the D3400 manual.


I never would have thought to look there - I had largely dismissed the picture settings (vivid, etc.) as gimmicky. I'll see what happens when I increase the values for "standard," though I suspect that post-processing in Lightroom and Luminar make this unnecessary.

Thanks again.

| Reply
Dec 27, 2017 14:47:25   #
Bill_de Loc: US
 
rgrenaderphoto wrote:
The picture controls - standard, neutral, vivid, monochrome only make sense if you are shooting JPEG files, not with RAW.


Not true. Programs like Nikon Capture NX can apply those setting when opening raw files. You just have to select 'as shot'.

---

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.