Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Carriers
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Dec 6, 2017 08:57:18   #
viscountdriver
 
Soon the state of the art Royal Navy aircraft carriers will be operational.They cost billions and years to build. I wonder if it is worth it? One well aimed missile could see them off. I expect they have misfile defence but would it always work?

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 09:01:26   #
rmalarz (a regular here)
 
One of the problems with "years to build" projects is that while the project is in process, technology is moving faster. Once built, it's a matter of catch up and constant modifications, that can cost equal to the original price to build.
--Bob
viscountdriver wrote:
Soon the state of the art Royal Navy aircraft carriers will be operational.They cost billions and years to build. I wonder if it is worth it? One well aimed missile could see them off. I expect they have misfile defence but would it always work?

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 09:21:33   #
mas24
 
viscountdriver wrote:
Soon the state of the art Royal Navy aircraft carriers will be operational.They cost billions and years to build. I wonder if it is worth it? One well aimed missile could see them off. I expect they have misfile defence but would it always work?


The two newest Aircraft Carriers are the American USS Gerald R. Ford, and the UK HMS Queen Elizabeth. The most costly and advanced of today's Carriers. Aircraft Carriers are the most protected Vessels. At least in the US Navy. A US Navy Aircraft Carrier, has not been sunk by enemy fire since WW2. That's over 72 years ago.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 10:53:19   #
d3200prime
 
mas24 wrote:
The two newest Aircraft Carriers are the American USS Gerald R. Ford, and the UK HMS Queen Elizabeth. The most costly and advanced of today's Carriers. Aircraft Carriers are the most protected Vessels. At least in the US Navy. A US Navy Aircraft Carrier, has not been sunk by enemy fire since WW2. That's over 72 years ago.


Maybe that's because we haven't been in another war with a nation capable of destroying one of our aircraft carriers, ya think?

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 11:57:38   #
PhotoKurtz
 
Right... our ships just run into cargo ships.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 12:15:21   #
mas24
 
d3200prime wrote:
Maybe that's because we haven't been in another war with a nation capable of destroying one of our aircraft carriers, ya think?


Perhaps we have so many Carriers, that won't happen. Russia and China only have one Carrier each. China is building a second one. Our so called enemies together will have 3 Carriers total. America has 12 Carriers. Active.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 12:53:42   #
d3200prime
 
mas24 wrote:
Perhaps we have so many Carriers, that won't happen. Russia and China only have one Carrier each. China is building a second one. Our so called enemies together will have 3 Carriers total. America has 12 Carriers. Active.


If war breaks out all bets are off. Inactive.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 12:55:45   #
d3200prime
 
PhotoKurtz wrote:
Right... our ships just run into cargo ships.


LOL.........yea, that was the case. Cost some their position and maybe rank. Lesson learned.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 17:09:02   #
JohnSwanda (a regular here)
 
viscountdriver wrote:
Soon the state of the art Royal Navy aircraft carriers will be operational.They cost billions and years to build. I wonder if it is worth it? One well aimed missile could see them off. I expect they have misfile defence but would it always work?


In wartime, I don't think any defense always works.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 17:19:36   #
G Brown
 
We build them in the UK and then lease them to the French because we can't afford to run them. Our Armed Forces are at their lowest levels ever. In the early 80's the EU recommended the creation of a European Armed Force (Mastricht treaty). The US was against it, because it would limit NATO and their need of the UK as a base against Russia.

Brexit will no doubt put additional pressure on our Military....Having seen the way veterans get treated, perhaps it is time to question the whole shebang....Perhaps it is time to be like Italy and Portugal and have the ships tied up in port...and send a minimal force when demanded. After all....without Scotland, Wales and Ireland we are pretty small and insignificant as a world power. Not much left that doesn't belong to the Russian Mafia or the Chinese.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 17:37:27   #
Pegasus
 
That would be Maastricht, notice the spelling. A lovely town, to which I have been a few times. Not very many people know that is where d'Artagnan died. Now you know too.

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 19:29:54   #
mas24
 
G Brown wrote:
We build them in the UK and then lease them to the French because we can't afford to run them. Our Armed Forces are at their lowest levels ever. In the early 80's the EU recommended the creation of a European Armed Force (Mastricht treaty). The US was against it, because it would limit NATO and their need of the UK as a base against Russia.

Brexit will no doubt put additional pressure on our Military....Having seen the way veterans get treated, perhaps it is time to question the whole shebang....Perhaps it is time to be like Italy and Portugal and have the ships tied up in port...and send a minimal force when demanded. After all....without Scotland, Wales and Ireland we are pretty small and insignificant as a world power. Not much left that doesn't belong to the Russian Mafia or the Chinese.
We build them in the UK and then lease them to the... (show quote)


I thought Brexit was suppose to make life better for the British. You were not going to be under the control of the EU. Did it backfire making things worse?

| Reply
Dec 6, 2017 19:32:59   #
Pegasus
 
Hasn't happened yet.

| Reply
Dec 7, 2017 05:49:14   #
machia
 
Of course an Aircraft Carrier can be sunk just like any other surface ship . The next naval war will be a bloody one , but that doesn’t mean you stop maintaining a strong Navy . Without a Navy the free sea lanes cease to exist .
As far as Britain is concerned though , you had better protect your borders too . All of Europe should .
While our Commander in Chief may have character flaws , he is human . But he does understand that a nation and a culture cannot survive with open borders . I give him very high marks on that .
National self preservation takes more than a powerful Army and Navy . It also requires good common sense , not the insanity of Leftist political correctness .
Build all the Carriers you want UK , but if you continue to leave your front door wide open as the United States has since 1965 , well , spare yourself all the problems . When people fail to assimilate inside your own borders because of mass immigration , you begin to lose your country .

| Reply
Dec 7, 2017 06:13:57   #
viscountdriver
 
Bit pessimistic though with some truth. Incidentally,I am a veteran and fought in the war and I have no complaints about my treatment.I am a member of the British Legion and the RAFA and Both organisations a are there to help if I needed it as is the RAF Benevolent fund. The government has helped. I know of no shops leased to thevFrench

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.