Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
You think your're too old/impaired for photography?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Sep 14, 2017 19:41:35   #
JBruce
 
Here's a link from George Lepp to help answer that question.
https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/pro-perspectives/george-lepp/theres-will-theres-way/

John

| Reply
Sep 15, 2017 08:39:28   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
Thanks John - excellent article - given me a few ideas.

| Reply
Sep 15, 2017 13:35:46   #
cambriaman (a regular here)
 
I took a few classes from George when he was living on the Central Coast. Great instructor, pleasant person. Always warm and friendly to his students in class and on the street.

| Reply
Sep 18, 2017 09:26:32   #
Joe Domin
 
Great Article. Gives you insight that you would never have realized before. It's amazing that when you ae young your thoughts of ageing never enter your mind. That will never happen to me is very prominent in your thinking.

| Reply
Sep 18, 2017 10:15:07   #
JBruce
 
Hi Joe,
Well, I'm 79+ and it is happening to me. Just finished rehab for rotator cuff surgery and am getting back into my photography. Even the 80d and 18-135 feels heavier than it did before surgery, but I'm getting back into the swing of things, finally. I guess this age thing catches up with all of us eventually (if we live long enough) which is not a bad thing! Cheers!
John

Joe Domin wrote:
Great Article. Gives you insight that you would never have realized before. It's amazing that when you ae young your thoughts of ageing never enter your mind. That will never happen to me is very prominent in your thinking.

| Reply
Sep 20, 2017 10:58:32   #
Joe Domin
 
I've got 6 years on you and the arteritis is really taken its toll. What tears me up is that I have Canon camera(Mark3) and several L glass lenses that seems to weigh 3X more then it did before. Now with these mirro- less cameras coming into view (of which I crave) I'm wanting to make the change because of the weight factor. Then I see a sizable chunk of currency going out the door to make the change of which I really do not want to....

| Reply
Sep 20, 2017 11:51:36   #
JBruce
 
Hi Joe,
I hear ya. I also have a 5d3 and lots of L glass that I will not part with. But just today, I ordered a very low mileage Olympus OM-D EM5-II with a used 12-40 f2.8 lens, both from Roberts Camera/Used Photo Pro in Indianapolis. Lens and camera are near new and priced nice. I'm getting into mirrorless on the cheap (but with top-rated gear) to see how I like it. My wife uses the 3 Canon's we have very competently, so they won't be going anywhere soon. I will also continue to use the 5d3 for landscape work when the walk is not too far, gotta keep those lenses exercised so they don't get stiff, just like our own body parts do. Like myself, you just hang in there and keep on shooting until we can't anymore. Watch for my future posts as I critique the new gear, somewhere down the road.
John
Joe Domin wrote:
I've got 6 years on you and the arteritis is really taken its toll. What tears me up is that I have Canon camera(Mark3) and several L glass lenses that seems to weigh 3X more then it did before. Now with these mirro- less cameras coming into view (of which I crave) I'm wanting to make the change because of the weight factor. Then I see a sizable chunk of currency going out the door to make the change of which I really do not want to....

| Reply
Sep 21, 2017 11:18:53   #
Joe Domin
 
Those lenses need exercise. Sounds like my body...as well as yours. John, I will look forward to your comments on " whats new"in the photo world?..maybe you could give me guide light as to what mirrorless camera would be best to pursue. Out here in Phoenix, cameras used or otherwise are still in the high price category. They still think they are like gold where the demand is still high. I do enjoy your position where you've obtained them the second class selling area. An area that has not developed here. I guess there haven't been to many cotton toppers that have left this world and their photo assets.I better watch out as to what I'm commenting.

| Reply
Sep 21, 2017 13:50:59   #
JBruce
 
Joe Domin wrote:
Those lenses need exercise. Sounds like my body...as well as yours. John, I will look forward to your comments on " whats new"in the photo world?..maybe you could give me guide light as to what mirrorless camera would be best to pursue. Out here in Phoenix, cameras used or otherwise are still in the high price category. They still think they are like gold where the demand is still high. I do enjoy your position where you've obtained them the second class selling area. An area that has not developed here. I guess there haven't been to many cotton toppers that have left this world and their photo assets.I better watch out as to what I'm commenting.
Those lenses need exercise. Sounds like my body...... (show quote)


https://usedphotopro.com/

Joe, above address is the website that I have been going to for used purchases. Great company and they offer no tax, quick, FREE shipping, and either web ordering, or by phone (if you know what you're looking for). Insider secret: They also give a 5% discount on used items by using the coupon code, "TAKE5", in the appropriate box during checkout. Just roam around in there and you'll find a lot to drool over.

As far as what brand to buy, I have owned used Olympus film cameras in the past and was impressed with the brand, so I decided to go back to Oly with the Micro 4/3 format; it is very popular with many others, so we'll see. I went with the used Olympus OM-D-EM II and a 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens to begin with. Together they cost a bit over $1100, which is less than the $1300 I was planning to spend on a new Tamron FF, 24-70f2.8, a whole lot less weight and I got a camera to boot! This camera system has a 2x crop factor (as a comparison, the Canon APS-C is a 1.6 factor). So the lens would be comparable to a Canon Full Frame of 24-80f 2.8. The camera/lens specs are very good when used as a team. That's what I'll be using after I get the gear and will provide some test shots. That may be a couple of weeks yet as there are fall chores to be done, and a short trip coming up soon. Cheers, John

| Reply
Sep 24, 2017 10:14:20   #
Joe Domin
 
John thank you for the info of which I have subscribed.....I enjoyed my Oly way back in the film days which was a small and capable camera. I haven't own one since then. I do have interest in the new Sony? I will just go with the flow.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.