Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
notes on photo topics
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Aug 1, 2017 12:58:37   #
crbuckjr
 
Use D750.

Sometimes I shoot interesting interactions among my grandchildren or particular travel sites and then often don't get to doing an album for a year or so. By then I can't remember the specifics of a shot needed to add text in the album.

Any ideas about how to easily capture rough comments on shots that can be called up when doing an album later?

thanks

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 13:09:09   #
WILLARD98407
 
crbuckjr wrote:
Use D750.

Sometimes I shoot interesting interactions among my grandchildren or particular travel sites and then often don't get to doing an album for a year or so. By then I can't remember the specifics of a shot needed to add text in the album.

Any ideas about how to easily capture rough comments on shots that can be called up when doing an album later?

thanks


when you download, store them by date and activity in folders for separate occasions. makes for a lot of folders and subfolders, but makes it easier later.

of course, with 2 young grandsons, I take more than a few pics of them. my folder chain looks like-

Erin < the year < the date and activity (there may be more than one activity on a date, requiring more than one subfolder for a particular date)

And backup, backup, backup!

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 13:09:36   #
DWU2 (a regular here)
 
If you use Lightroom, you can enter keyword tags, location information, title, caption (or large caption), and labels. In addition you can provide location information, and, if your camera is so equipped, it will automatically capture GPS. It will also automatically capture time and date.

But, none of that will help you if you don't document the event after you get home with the pictures.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 13:16:37   #
WILLARD98407
 
WILLARD98407 wrote:
when you download, store them by date and activity in folders for separate occasions. makes for a lot of folders and subfolders, but makes it easier later.

of course, with 2 young grandsons, I take more than a few pics of them. my folder chain looks like-

Erin < the year < the date and activity (there may be more than one activity on a date, requiring more than one subfolder for a particular date)

tagging is a good thing, too.

And backup, backup, backup!

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 13:17:45   #
John Howard
 
When I travel I keep a detailed itinerary of where I go, sites I see each day and which days I travel between locations. With the metadata info on date and time I can put together the location for each shot. I do not use gps.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 13:53:36   #
rmalarz (a regular here)
 
I do it quite simply. Small notebook and pen.
--Bob
crbuckjr wrote:
Use D750.

Sometimes I shoot interesting interactions among my grandchildren or particular travel sites and then often don't get to doing an album for a year or so. By then I can't remember the specifics of a shot needed to add text in the album.

Any ideas about how to easily capture rough comments on shots that can be called up when doing an album later?

thanks


(Download)

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 14:09:19   #
rjaywallace (a regular here)
 
rmalarz wrote:
I do it quite simply. Small notebook and pen. --Bob

Absolutely the best method.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 14:45:55   #
crbuckjr
 
thanks to all

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 16:00:34   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
crbuckjr wrote:
Use D750.

Sometimes I shoot interesting interactions among my grandchildren or particular travel sites and then often don't get to doing an album for a year or so. By then I can't remember the specifics of a shot needed to add text in the album.

Any ideas about how to easily capture rough comments on shots that can be called up when doing an album later?

thanks


Some cameras have a Voice Note feature, but I doubt you'd want to give up your D750 just for that. It looks like the D2X can record up to one minute of sound with each image.
https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/d2x_voice_memo/tag/voice/p/all

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 16:07:11   #
blackest
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Some cameras have a Voice Note feature, but I doubt you'd want to give up your D750 just for that. It looks like the D2X can record up to one minute of sound with each image.
https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/d2x_voice_memo/tag/voice/p/all


you could use a phone app for a voice memo and use gpx tracker too. Providing your cameras clock is right you can have your location and the memo. Fairly easy to combine the gps with photo's in lightroom.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 16:31:01   #
crbuckjr
 
voice note would be great....!

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 17:16:15   #
blackest
 
crbuckjr wrote:
voice note would be great....!


You are giving me idea's :) The gpx tracker logs are useful as you can attach the location to a photo quite easily in lightroom, with any voice recorder app you will finish up with audio files on your phone that are time and date stamped. I don't know if lightroom would index them but lets say you took some photo's on the 31st of july you can go to the 31st of july and open the folder in finder and then you could drop in audio notes text files. Which seems a good place to have them. Just having them in that folder is useful but i don't know if its possible to bring say a text note or audio file into lightroom proper. It may be possible. Lightroom can't process video but it can catalog it and i think if its in the catalog you can set an external editor for it... I will take a look see, i might find something. I am trying to work up my website and put up photo's from shoots it'd be nice if i can get an article ready in lightroom or on my computer ready to bring it into my website.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 18:19:31   #
blackest
 
blackest wrote:
You are giving me idea's :) The gpx tracker logs are useful as you can attach the location to a photo quite easily in lightroom, with any voice recorder app you will finish up with audio files on your phone that are time and date stamped. I don't know if lightroom would index them but lets say you took some photo's on the 31st of july you can go to the 31st of july and open the folder in finder and then you could drop in audio notes text files. Which seems a good place to have them. Just having them in that folder is useful but i don't know if its possible to bring say a text note or audio file into lightroom proper. It may be possible. Lightroom can't process video but it can catalog it and i think if its in the catalog you can set an external editor for it... I will take a look see, i might find something. I am trying to work up my website and put up photo's from shoots it'd be nice if i can get an article ready in lightroom or on my computer ready to bring it into my website.
You are giving me idea's :) The gpx tracker logs a... (show quote)


There is an anyfile plugin for lightroom 5.7 and above... I couldn't get it to work.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 19:44:39   #
blackest
 
blackest wrote:
There is an anyfile plugin for lightroom 5.7 and above... I couldn't get it to work.


Turns out he recently updated it to require lightroom 6 or newer the older 1.15 version works on older versions of lightroom.

Its kind of interesting, you can register any file type and it brings the icon into lightroom, when you choose open for the file it opens the associated application if you use get info you can set it to any application you want. It adds files at their location. You could be doing say an ebook project and you could keep the epub files with the photo's in the same folder each project could be a collection in lightroom and managed from lightroom.
It's a tad clunky but it seems to work. I brought a gpx file a gps track into the folder with the photo's from that day. It's only really useful for those photo's so not a bad place to keep it. you can also write meta data to the icon in lightroom or a descriptive note. This might make a handy organisation tool.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 21:06:46   #
rjaywallace (a regular here)
 
The paper notebook method, used by reporters and film photographers for decades does not require any batteries.
The notebook "charges" instantaneously (just open the cover and write).

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.