Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
50 Quick Tips in Less Than 15 Minutes
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Jun 2, 2012 01:54:09   #
St3v3M
 
I'm curious - What's your #50?

From: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D4HbWhri7Tc

50 Quick Photography Tips

1. UV filters are a complete waste of time
2. Lens hoods aren't a necessity
3. If you're not using the hood, put it away
4. Don't treat your DSLR like it's your baby
5. Stop hating on others
6. Get cheap lens caps
7. Pack light
8. Use a zoom for convenience
9. Primes will make you think more
10. The 35mm focal length is probably the most practical one lens setup
11. But everything in the 50mm focal length just looks better
12. A better camera doesn’t necessarily make better photos
13. Know how your camera works before you go out to shoot
14. Always be ready for the shot
15. P-mode isn't just for beginners
16. Bump the ISO up if needed
17. Auto ISO is your best friend
18. Rely on the Rule of Thirds
19. Take lots of shots
20. Don't take photos of any old thing
21. "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough” — Robert Capa
22. Contemplate your shot
23. The best equipment doesn't help if you're not standing in the best spot
24. Sharpness is overrated
25. Concept is king
26. Don't look like a pervert
27. Don't drink and shoot
28. Photograph when you're full of energy
29. Sometimes it feels great to wake up really early to take photos
30. Think about what light you want
31. Emulate some of the style of the greats to get started
32. …but don't keep doing it
33. Photography is as much a reflection of the person taking the photo
34. Shoot to please no one apart from yourself
35. Discreet or direct — it isn't all that important
36. Setting themes keeps you focused
37. Change things around every once in a while to keep things fresh
38. Everyone has creative blocks
39. Be critical of yourself
40. "Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph" — Andre Kertesz
41. You need to be there with a camera
42. The relationship is about you and the subject not you and the camera
43. Stop chimping
44. Be brutal when it comes to deleting awful photos
45. Show only your best work
46. Changing photos to B&W doesn't make an uninteresting shot interesting
47. Look at other people's work
48. Post your work online too and let people critique your work
49. There is no easy way
50.

| Reply
Jun 2, 2012 03:00:21   #
francesca3
 
Thank you for those. Where's 50?

| Reply
Jun 2, 2012 03:01:03   #
St3v3M
 
francesca3 wrote:
Thank you for those. Where's 50?


I think #50 is for you to decide.

| Reply
Jun 2, 2012 04:01:44   #
Danilo
 
Edit #3 - If you're not using a hood, put your camera away.

| Reply
Jun 2, 2012 04:07:47   #
Leonardo
 
Number 13 should be at number 1.

If you don't know how your camera works, the other 49 (48) are irrelevant.

And the best way to know your camera... use an old manual focus lens, and learn to take picture with it. Once you can do that, you know your camera well enough to put it in to AF mode.

| Reply
Jun 2, 2012 05:40:12   #
Pablo8
 
# 34 Doesn't sound as though you have ever worked as a professional Wedding or Press Photographer.

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 05:37:44   #
dwightdills
 
#1 Read the manual!!!

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 06:24:09   #
Turbo
 
#50: learn to manage the light source(s)

In fact, if you know how to do that the other 49 don't matter that much ...

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 06:40:39   #
hartmanr1
 
St3v3M wrote:
I'm curious - What's your #50?

From: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D4HbWhri7Tc

50 Quick Photography Tips

1. UV filters are a complete waste of time
2. Lens hoods aren't a necessity
3. If you're not using the hood, put it away
4. Don't treat your DSLR like it's your baby
5. Stop hating on others
6. Get cheap lens caps
7. Pack light
8. Use a zoom for convenience
9. Primes will make you think more
10. The 35mm focal length is probably the most practical one lens setup
11. But everything in the 50mm focal length just looks better
12. A better camera doesn’t necessarily make better photos
13. Know how your camera works before you go out to shoot
14. Always be ready for the shot
15. P-mode isn't just for beginners
16. Bump the ISO up if needed
17. Auto ISO is your best friend
18. Rely on the Rule of Thirds
19. Take lots of shots
20. Don't take photos of any old thing
21. "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough” — Robert Capa
22. Contemplate your shot
23. The best equipment doesn't help if you're not standing in the best spot
24. Sharpness is overrated
25. Concept is king
26. Don't look like a pervert
27. Don't drink and shoot
28. Photograph when you're full of energy
29. Sometimes it feels great to wake up really early to take photos
30. Think about what light you want
31. Emulate some of the style of the greats to get started
32. …but don't keep doing it
33. Photography is as much a reflection of the person taking the photo
34. Shoot to please no one apart from yourself
35. Discreet or direct — it isn't all that important
36. Setting themes keeps you focused
37. Change things around every once in a while to keep things fresh
38. Everyone has creative blocks
39. Be critical of yourself
40. "Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph" — Andre Kertesz
41. You need to be there with a camera
42. The relationship is about you and the subject not you and the camera
43. Stop chimping
44. Be brutal when it comes to deleting awful photos
45. Show only your best work
46. Changing photos to B&W doesn't make an uninteresting shot interesting
47. Look at other people's work
48. Post your work online too and let people critique your work
49. There is no easy way
50.
I'm curious - What's your #50? br br From: http:/... (show quote)


Your list of 50 tips is really a condensed photo course -- Just one question --"What is chimping" ?

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 06:58:10   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
hartmanr1 wrote:
Your list of 50 tips is really a condensed photo course -- Just one question --"What is chimping" ?

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. Chimping is looking at the LCD after each shot.

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 07:20:13   #
Leonardo
 
And someone coined the phrases 'pre-chimping' and 'post-chimping'...

Post-chimping is looking at the LCD AFTER you have taken the picture, as with conventional DSLRs.

Pre-Chimping is what you do with Sony DSLTs. they have electronic viewfinders that show you what the image will look like once taken.

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 08:08:15   #
lachmap
 
LOVE the tips. #50 is "read the first 49 again"!!!!!!!!!!
Why is it called chimping? Is it because it makes a monkey out of us? Do we look like monkeys?

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 08:31:11   #
MarkDG
 
Not so much a "Tip" as it is a pet peeve. When another photographer tells me I wasn't correct on my exposure, rule of thirds, lighting, etc. when they didn't know what look I was going for in the first place. I have even heard self proclaimed "Professionals" explain how various photos they were looking at were all wrong, only to let them know that they were taken by one of the all time great photographers, and still they go on about how the shot is fundamentally incorrect (it happens on this forum more times than not too). Yes, I know, if you're photographing for a client and they don't like it that's one thing. If you're shooting for your own pleasure, and another "Photographer" tells you it's wrong, it's OK to tell him/her they don't know what they're talking about.

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 08:58:20   #
hartmanr1
 
MarkDG wrote:
Not so much a "Tip" as it is a pet peeve. When another photographer tells me I wasn't correct on my exposure, rule of thirds, lighting, etc. when they didn't know what look I was going for in the first place. I have even heard self proclaimed "Professionals" explain how various photos they were looking at were all wrong, only to let them know that they were taken by one of the all time great photographers, and still they go on about how the shot is fundamentally incorrect (it happens on this forum more times than not too). Yes, I know, if you're photographing for a client and they don't like it that's one thing. If you're shooting for your own pleasure, and another "Photographer" tells you it's wrong, it's OK to tell him/her they don't know what they're talking about.
Not so much a "Tip" as it is a pet peeve... (show quote)



In all this, your artistic judgment and common sense should reign supreme !

| Reply
Jun 3, 2012 09:09:38   #
DavidT
 
50. Invest in quality equipment - not expensive equipment.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.