Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Infrared Conversion
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Dec 17, 2016 09:30:25   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
If you have an old or an extra digital camera, you might want to convert it to IR.

http://digital-photography-school.com/convert-camera-infrared-black-white-landscape-photography/

| Reply
Dec 17, 2016 11:32:35   #
WayneT
 
I did that with an old d5000. Fun camera to use I take it with me on all my shooting sprees.

| Reply
Dec 17, 2016 11:45:59   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
WayneT wrote:
I did that with an old d5000. Fun camera to use I take it with me on all my shooting sprees.


Yes, and the procession possibilities are endless.

| Reply
Dec 20, 2016 00:22:42   #
speters (a regular here)
 
jerryc41 wrote:
If you have an old or an extra digital camera, you might want to convert it to IR.

http://digital-photography-school.com/convert-camera-infrared-black-white-landscape-photography/

I just do that in post if I want IR (cost nothing)!

| Reply
Dec 20, 2016 07:23:45   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
speters wrote:
I just do that in post if I want IR (cost nothing)!


Oooh! And I wasted all that money!

| Reply
Dec 20, 2016 15:25:30   #
JohnSwanda (a regular here)
 
speters wrote:
I just do that in post if I want IR (cost nothing)!


You can't get quite the same effect in post. Many IR photo sites ban fake post process "IR".

| Reply
Dec 22, 2016 05:32:59   #
speters (a regular here)
 
JohnSwanda wrote:
You can't get quite the same effect in post. Many IR photo sites ban fake post process "IR".

That effect is good enough for me, I don't use it that often and like I said, I don't have to invest in anything and it just takes one minute, maybe two to change an image.





| Reply
Feb 14, 2017 12:06:21   #
GC likes NIKON
 
speters wrote:
That effect is good enough for me, I don't use it that often and like I said, I don't have to invest in anything and it just takes one minute, maybe two to change an image.


I am curious as to your work flow in getting that IR effect on your lake scene.... Thanks

| Reply
Feb 14, 2017 12:49:59   #
speters (a regular here)
 
GC likes NIKON wrote:
I am curious as to your work flow in getting that IR effect on your lake scene.... Thanks

Hi GC, was looking through some old posts and just noticed your request, it is just a few very simple steps, You do not even have to go into Photoshop, it is best done in ACR. You open your raw file in ACR and go to the HSL/Grayscale tab. In there you click on the word Default, as that set all the sliders to zero. Than drag both, the Yellow and the Green all the way to 100. For your black skies, dial the Blue slider all the way down to -100 (you can try to do the same with the Aquas slider (preference). Now go back to the Basic Panel and boost your dark skies and brighten the foliage with the white balance to bluer and greener (temperature to the left toward blue, tint to the left toward greener) Adjust Shadows and Blacks to taste, you can go as far as 100 (just dial down if you feel its too much. If you want to give your images that little foggy quality, dial down the Clarity, but do this carefully ( you could loose too much detail). This is pretty much it, you could add some grain in the Effects tab, but that is again preference. Go try it out and have some fun playing with it ( I think it's fun!!!) Wish you a nice day!!

| Reply
Feb 14, 2017 13:44:41   #
GC likes NIKON
 
speters wrote:
Hi GC, was looking through some old posts and just noticed your request, it is just a few very simple steps, You do not even have to go into Photoshop, it is best done in ACR. You open your raw file in ACR and go to the HSL/Grayscale tab. In there you click on the word Default, as that set all the sliders to zero. Than drag both, the Yellow and the Green all the way to 100. For your black skies, dial the Blue slider all the way down to -100 (you can try to do the same with the Aquas slider (preference). Now go back to the Basic Panel and boost your dark skies and brighten the foliage with the white balance to bluer and greener (temperature to the left toward blue, tint to the left toward greener) Adjust Shadows and Blacks to taste, you can go as far as 100 (just dial down if you feel its too much. If you want to give your images that little foggy quality, dial down the Clarity, but do this carefully ( you could loose too much detail). This is pretty much it, you could add some grain in the Effects tab, but that is again preference. Go try it out and have some fun playing with it ( I think it's fun!!!) Wish you a nice day!!
Hi GC, was looking through some old posts and just... (show quote)


Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try !!

| Reply
Jul 15, 2019 09:11:24   #
jldodge
 
jldodge

| Reply
Jul 18, 2019 22:42:55   #
JohnSwanda (a regular here)
 
jldodge wrote:
jldodge


You dragged out this old thread just to post your user name?

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.