Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
A topic I've never scene here
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
May 11, 2012 11:30:00   #
photopop44 Loc: Roun Drock, Texas
 
An observation I've made about DSLRs is the less expensive ones have some "modes" for different scenes or situations maybe one of the modes being "scene". The higher the price the more scenes until the price becomes "Professional" and then most/all of the scenes go away. The little bit of explanation I get from my owners manual and camera describes easy shutter speed and aperture adjustments that I'm smart enough to make on my own however landscape, portrait and sunset mention bringing out different colors. I see that this can be done by making adjustments to the White Balance. Is this what owners of Pro quality cameras do to bring out colors or do they do it with editing soft ware? The D 5100's perspective control and fish eye effect are not an adjustment I can make!

I've used my SCENE setting one time. I selected Sunset, put the camera on a tripod, pointed it at the sunset and pushed the button. I thought the Olympus did a pretty good job.
Pagosa Springs, CO Oct 2011
Pagosa Springs, CO    Oct 2011...

| Reply
May 11, 2012 11:33:57   #
GoofyNewfie Loc: Kansas City
 
Really nice shot, photopop!

I've even seen a "food' mode on a camera.
Not sure what that's about at all!
I use only A, S, & M modes 'cause I want to do the thinking.

| Reply
May 11, 2012 11:43:43   #
Roger Hicks Loc: Aquitaine
 
photopop44 wrote:
Is this what owners of Pro quality cameras do to bring out colors or do they do it with editing soft ware?


Exposure, mostly. Also contrast and colour balance, which you could set in camera or change in PP. Then there are grad filters, whether on camera or PP. If I were trying to achieve the effect you demonstrate (very well indeed, incidentally -- congratulations on an excellent pic!) then most of it would be down to exposure (in Raw), plus some PP. With the exception of my Nikon D70, my cameras don't have 'modes', so it's all done manually or at most with aperture-priority automation.

Cheers,

R.

| Reply
May 11, 2012 11:44:08   #
tk Loc: Iowa
 
Nice shot! Now if I could find an Angeline Jolie setting, I'd do a self-portrait!

| Reply
May 11, 2012 11:45:20   #
MsJ Loc: Northern Indiana
 
Whatever you did...I'd do it again! Good shot!

| Reply
May 11, 2012 13:51:08   #
ckcougar Loc: NATIVE FLORIDIAN
 
I also use M,A & S as I am still new at this. Auto seems like cheating but I do use it in an emergency shot. Whatever setting you shot on was great! Lovely sky!

| Reply
May 12, 2012 00:24:22   #
MadMike Loc: SALT LAKE
 
After driving a loaded Semi off of Wolf Creek Pass, that would be a wonderful view. I love sunsets and really like this one, keep up the good work.
photopop44 wrote:
An observation I've made about DSLRs is the less expensive ones have some "modes" for different scenes or situations maybe one of the modes being "scene". The higher the price the more scenes until the price becomes "Professional" and then most/all of the scenes go away. The little bit of explanation I get from my owners manual and camera describes easy shutter speed and aperture adjustments that I'm smart enough to make on my own however landscape, portrait and sunset mention bringing out different colors. I see that this can be done by making adjustments to the White Balance. Is this what owners of Pro quality cameras do to bring out colors or do they do it with editing soft ware? The D 5100's perspective control and fish eye effect are not an adjustment I can make!

I've used my SCENE setting one time. I selected Sunset, put the camera on a tripod, pointed it at the sunset and pushed the button. I thought the Olympus did a pretty good job.
An observation I've made about DSLRs is the less e... (show quote)

| Reply
May 12, 2012 02:01:33   #
Dr Rae Loc: Colorado Springs CO
 
tk wrote:
Nice shot! Now if I could find an Angeline Jolie setting, I'd do a self-portrait!


Lol, good one.

| Reply
May 12, 2012 03:35:27   #
BHC Loc: Strawberry Valley, JF, USA
 
Scene settings automatically set the camera according to parameters that you would otherwise set, e.g., sunset pictures sat a large aperture, ajusted speed, lens focus at infinity and maybe +1/2 to +1 compensation. Some will go so far as to set ISO, color balance, insert a digital filter and/or advise a tripod.

But you will eventually learn the best combination of parameters for the majority of your shots.

By the way, very good shot.

| Reply
May 12, 2012 04:10:06   #
rpavich Loc: West Virginia
 
Yes...congrats on a very nice shot!

You got it right...just stuff you could do on your own...myself? I hate the auto modes...they clutter up my camera :)

I just want a button for shutter speed, a button for aperture and a button for ISO and I'm good to go!

Only one steering wheel per car for this guy! :)

| Reply
May 12, 2012 06:09:08   #
dlwhawaii Loc: Sunny Wailuku, Hawaii
 
Awsum picture. I don't use the P button and don't even know if my camera (Sigma SD14) supports Scene modes. M, A, S and PP usually get me where I want to go.

| Reply
May 12, 2012 06:28:53   #
Johnny U Loc: Fredericksburg Va.
 
I'd say it did a great job. I'm on my second Olympus camera and have gotten wonderfull results with both.

| Reply
May 12, 2012 06:29:06   #
Turbo Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
excellent composition and settings, keep up the good work !

| Reply
May 12, 2012 06:58:11   #
BboH Loc: Catonsville, MD, USA
 
It did do a fabulous one half of the job! The other half is your composition

| Reply
May 12, 2012 07:13:49   #
lmch921 Loc: Harrisburg PA
 
I'd have to agree 100%...It's beautiful!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.