Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Nikon D7200 Good & Bad
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Apr 1, 2016 06:14:39   #
OnDSnap
 
I just picked one up last week to replace my D7000 (which I still have) and yesterday came across this on You Tube. I haven't had the time to do my own tests so....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_JbcT-UyE


Would appreciate opinions from other 7200 owners as this has me a bit concerned and whether or not to return it.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 07:39:20   #
DaveO (a regular here)
 
If this guy and his buddy Stefan concur on these scientific "hardcore facts" studies,they must be true!

Was this a gottcha special post for April Fools Day?

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 08:06:41   #
Jim Bob (suspended)
 
OnDSnap wrote:
I just picked one up last week to replace my D7000 (which I still have) and yesterday came across this on You Tube. I haven't had the time to do my own tests so....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_JbcT-UyE


Would appreciate opinions from other 7200 owners as this has me a bit concerned and whether or not to return it.


Contrary to my experience. But this conclusion is based on observation not any empirical data.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 08:14:08   #
OnDSnap
 
DaveO wrote:
If this guy and his buddy Stefan concur on these scientific "hardcore facts" studies,they must be true!

Was this a gottcha special post for April Fools Day?


If it was, it was a bit early if you are referring to when I saw it.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 08:16:51   #
OnDSnap
 
Jim Bob wrote:
Contrary to my experience. But this conclusion is based on observation not any empirical data.


I know what is based on, that's why I posted it... wanting to know if anyone else is experiencing it.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 08:21:20   #
Jim Bob (suspended)
 
OnDSnap wrote:
I know what is based on, that's why I posted it... wanting to know if anyone else is experiencing it.


I answered that inquiry, dummy. Go back and read my post.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 08:32:35   #
DaveO (a regular here)
 
OnDSnap wrote:
If it was, it was a bit early if you are referring to when I saw it.


I was referring to your having posted it on this day. :-) It seemed baseless,but I suspect that some will be very concerned. The power of: "I saw it on the internet...."

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 09:04:57   #
Tigger1
 
OnDSnap wrote:
I just picked one up last week to replace my D7000 (which I still have) and yesterday came across this on You Tube. I haven't had the time to do my own tests so....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_JbcT-UyE


Would appreciate opinions from other 7200 owners as this has me a bit concerned and whether or not to return it.

Never owned the D7000, but as you can see from my tag line below I own both the D7200 and D5100. I may be wrong but I have been told the D7000 and D5100 share the same sensor and processor so images should compare favourably between the two cameras, if my info is correct. What I can say is that images out of my D7200 compared to the same images out of my D5100 using the same lens, same subject, in the same lighting conditions are better out of my D7200 IMO. I should point out that I shoot predominately wildlife ranging from hummingbirds to elephants in size under any lighting condition Mother Nature throws at the situation. The "Angry Photographer's" claim may be valid but I have not been able to see the problem in my photos. Any and all problems I do have in my photos and there are plenty, are and will continue to be caused by me, not the camera. As you have both the D7000 and D7200, I suggest you run your own tests under identical conditions doing the type of photography you like to do and see for yourself which camera is better for your style of photography. I admit I almost bought the D7100 which incidentally the Angry Photographer anointed not too long ago as the best enthusiast DSLR available for value and image quality. But in the final moment of decision for my needs the bigger buffer sold me on the D7200. My next camera purchase will involve trading in my D5100 in favor of a D5300 which will serve as my backup camera when on safari.
All the best and good luck with your decision. Garth

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 09:18:57   #
dannac
 
OnDSnap wrote:
wanting to know if anyone else is experiencing it.


Sold 7100 to upgrade to 7200 for $250 ... and happy with it.

No other processing in images below except shadow slider.

Obviously could not compare them on same photo, but hope this helps.
7100 iso 100
7100 iso 100...
(Download)
7100 iso 100 shadows 100 acr
7100 iso 100 shadows 100 acr...
(Download)
7200 iso 100
7200 iso 100...
(Download)
7200 iso 100 shadows 100 acr
7200 iso 100 shadows 100 acr...
(Download)

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 09:27:34   #
Steve Perry
 
OnDSnap wrote:
I just picked one up last week to replace my D7000 (which I still have) and yesterday came across this on You Tube. I haven't had the time to do my own tests so....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_JbcT-UyE


Would appreciate opinions from other 7200 owners as this has me a bit concerned and whether or not to return it.


That guy is the biggest fraud on YouTube. He's always giving terrible advice. He starts with stating the D7100 has a Toshiba sensor and the 7200 a Sony. In truth, they both have Toshiba sensors.

As to the dynamic rage, they are virtually identical - see the chart below. In fact, I even threw in a D810 to show just how close they are to one of the best full frame cameras when it comes to dynamic range. I have had no problems in recovering shadow detail and in fact I recently saw a test at Dpreview that looks at shadow recovery - the D7200 is actually BETTER than the new D5 at lower ISOs (The D5 seems to have been optimized for high ISO at the cost of some dynamic range at lower ISOs).

I also actually shoot with a D7200 regularly and my experience mimics what I see in the chart below - it's almost as good as the D810.

Check it out, ignore that guy, and enjoy the D7200:



| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 09:38:44   #
dandi
 
Steve Perry wrote:
That guy is the biggest fraud on YouTube. He's always giving terrible advice. He starts with stating the D7100 has a Toshiba sensor and the 7200 a Sony. In truth, they both have Toshiba sensors.

As to the dynamic rage, they are virtually identical - see the chart below. In fact, I even threw in a D810 to show just how close they are to one of the best full frame cameras when it comes to dynamic range. I have had no problems in recovering shadow detail and in fact I recently saw a test at Dpreview that looks at shadow recovery - the D7200 is actually BETTER than the new D5 at lower ISOs (The D5 seems to have been optimized for high ISO at the cost of some dynamic range at lower ISOs).

I also actually shoot with a D7200 regularly and my experience mimics what I see in the chart below - it's almost as good as the D810.

Check it out, ignore that guy, and enjoy the D7200:
That guy is the biggest fraud on YouTube. He's alw... (show quote)


:thumbup:, I would not pay too much attention to Angry Photographer.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 09:43:44   #
Steve Perry
 
Oops - I forgot to include the download for the graph - sorry.


(Download)

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 10:17:37   #
kckelly54
 
Would appreciate opinions from other 7200 owners as this has me a bit concerned and whether or not to return it.[/quote]

I went from D7000 to a D7200 in March 2015. Best camera decision I've ever made. I shoot mostly outdoors and I have no clue what this guy is talking about other than we're supposed to believe the hard core facts that he never substantiates.

He says the sensor is a Sony on the D7200...so much for hard core facts!

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/16/list-of-all-nikon-dslr-cameras-and-their-sensor-manufacturerdesigner.aspx/

https://chipworks.secure.force.com/catalog/ProductDetails?sku=NIK-D7200_Pri-Camera&viewState=DetailView&cartID=&g=%0D

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 11:06:48   #
OnDSnap
 
Steve Perry wrote:
That guy is the biggest fraud on YouTube. He's always giving terrible advice. He starts with stating the D7100 has a Toshiba sensor and the 7200 a Sony. In truth, they both have Toshiba sensors.

As to the dynamic rage, they are virtually identical - see the chart below. In fact, I even threw in a D810 to show just how close they are to one of the best full frame cameras when it comes to dynamic range. I have had no problems in recovering shadow detail and in fact I recently saw a test at Dpreview that looks at shadow recovery - the D7200 is actually BETTER than the new D5 at lower ISOs (The D5 seems to have been optimized for high ISO at the cost of some dynamic range at lower ISOs).

I also actually shoot with a D7200 regularly and my experience mimics what I see in the chart below - it's almost as good as the D810.

Check it out, ignore that guy, and enjoy the D7200:
That guy is the biggest fraud on YouTube. He's alw... (show quote)


Thanks Steve, and others...glad to hear it.

| Reply
Apr 1, 2016 11:07:49   #
OnDSnap
 
Steve Perry wrote:
Oops - I forgot to include the download for the graph - sorry.


Thanks again...you convinced me to keep it.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.