Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Light field camera??
Page 1 of 2 next>
Nov 9, 2015 05:25:03   #
W3KLS Loc: PA USA
 
Hi folks,

Anybody have or have info on a device called "Lytro B5-0035 ILLUM 40 Megaray Light Field Camera with Constant F/2.0, 8X Optical Zoom"? Sounds more like a "gadget" than a real "camera" to me which is OK for us gadget loving nonprofessionals.

Thanks and a good day to all,
Ken

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 05:53:56   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
W3KLS wrote:
Hi folks,

Anybody have or have info on a device called "Lytro B5-0035 ILLUM 40 Megaray Light Field Camera with Constant F/2.0, 8X Optical Zoom"? Sounds more like a "gadget" than a real "camera" to me which is OK for us gadget loving nonprofessionals.

Thanks and a good day to all,
Ken

And its on sale for 399.00 save big NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 05:55:26   #
Rongnongno Loc: FL
 
Ok, which one of you is the real rep for Lytro?

Reply
 
 
Nov 9, 2015 05:58:57   #
puku8849
 
Try also google Light L16 camera which is even more revolutionary and will be one for the future. Watch also on Vimeo - Gathering Light, which will give you an insight into how these amazing ideas are coming into fruition.
The vision is truly extraordinary and how really cheap molded perfect plastic lenses will take over as well as sensors costing only few dollars to make.

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 06:17:52   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
W3KLS wrote:
Hi folks,

Anybody have or have info on a device called "Lytro B5-0035 ILLUM 40 Megaray Light Field Camera with Constant F/2.0, 8X Optical Zoom"? Sounds more like a "gadget" than a real "camera" to me which is OK for us gadget loving nonprofessionals.

Thanks and a good day to all,
Ken


Never a really sharp photo.
--Bob

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 09:33:12   #
lev29 Loc: Born and living in MA.
 
billnikon wrote:
And its on sale for 399.00 save big NOW!!

REALLY? Where? The lowest price I recently saw was $599 @ B&H Photo, down from $1499 a few months ago.

The concept really intrigues me; HOWEVER, this current 2nd generation technology only has an in-plane resolution of, I believe, only 2-4 megapixels. That's still a fairly high amount of dough for such resolution ... and the marketplace response has apparently borne this out.

So why do I find the concept fascinating? Because it reminds me of MRI some 25 years ago when 3D Fourier Transform Pulse Sequences (3D FT PSD's) were made clinically available. Up till then, only 2D PSD's were used. The slice thicknesses were on the order of 10 mm down to as thin as 5 mm. Thinner than that resulted in noisier images, with the only solution to preventing loss of Signal-to-Noise (S/N) necessitating an increase in scan time.

So "who cares?" a non-radiologist might ask. Well, with MRI image slices may be obtained in any imaging plane, though usually there are only planes of interest, all orthogonal to each other: axial (such as usually the plane in CT scanning,) Coronal, & Sagittal. But what if instead of doing THREE 2D PSD's, one in each plane at a time, one did ONE 3D PSD? If the slices of the latter are thin enough, one can reformat the images from one plane into another!

That's the analogy. Reformatting thin slice MR images into different planes is analogous to recomputing "light rays" to create images centered on different focal points. I can imagine just how useful this would be, for instance, in photographing a crime scene, particularly when nothing catches the photographer's eye to focus in on. But the Light Rays could be manipulated after the fact to reveal something that heretofore may have only been evident on out-of-focus photos!

I hope the company Lytro doesn't go out of business by having sold only "not-ready-for-prime-time" products. But I did recently check their website. Evidently, they're now working on 3D Virtual Reality Videography.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 09:44:53   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
lev29 wrote:
REALLY? Where? The lowest price I recently saw was $599 @ B&H Photo, down from $1499 a few months ago.

The concept really intrigues me; HOWEVER, this current 2nd generation technology only has an in-plane resolution of, I believe, only 2-4 megapixels. That's still a fairly high amount of dough for such resolution ... and the marketplace response has apparently borne this out.

So why do I find the concept fascinating? Because it reminds me of MRI some 25 years ago when 3D Fourier Transform Pulse Sequences (3D FT PSD's) were made clinically available. Up till then, only 2D PSD's were used. The slice thicknesses were on the order of 10 mm down to as thin as 5 mm. Thinner than that resulted in noisier images, with the only solution to preventing loss of Signal-to-Noise (S/N) necessitating an increase in scan time.

So "who cares?" a non-radiologist might ask. Well, with MRI image slices may be obtained in any imaging plane, though usually there are only planes of interest, all orthogonal to each other: axial (such as usually the plane in CT scanning,) Coronal, & Sagittal. But what if instead of doing THREE 2D PSD's, one in each plane at a time, one did ONE 3D PSD? If the slices of the latter are thin enough, one can reformat the images from one plane into another!

That's the analogy. Reformatting thin slice MR images into different planes is analogous to recomputing "light rays" to create images centered on different focal points. I can imagine just how useful this would be, for instance, in photographing a crime scene, particularly when nothing catches the photographer's eye to focus in on. But the Light Rays could be manipulated after the fact to reveal something that heretofore may have only been evident on out-of-focus photos!

I hope the company Lytro doesn't go out of business by having sold only "not-ready-for-prime-time" products. But I did recently check their website. Evidently, they're now working on 3D Virtual Reality Videography.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
REALLY? Where? The lowest price I recently saw was... (show quote)


I'll bet one can't purchase one of those MRI machines for the price $399 or even the full price of $1499.

Everything I've heard or read about the camera is images are not sharp, but sort of in focus. A lot of money for an almost in focus, low resolution camera. Outside of a novelty, I see no use for something producing those results, especially at those prices.
--Bob

Reply
 
 
Nov 9, 2015 09:52:03   #
W3KLS Loc: PA USA
 
I'm seeing a lot of thoughts that match mine! I reckon I'll just stick with the old 2 dimensional stuff. Besides the local gun shop is running some Vet Day sales on stuff I really need. Harder to get that stuff into the house past "security" though.

Ken

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 09:53:19   #
W3KLS Loc: PA USA
 
Rongnongno wrote:
Ok, which one of you is the real rep for Lytro?


Well it ain't me which narrows the field a bit.

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 10:52:47   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
lev29 wrote:
REALLY? Where? The lowest price I recently saw was $599 @ B&H Photo, down from $1499 a few months ago.

The concept really intrigues me; HOWEVER, this current 2nd generation technology only has an in-plane resolution of, I believe, only 2-4 megapixels. That's still a fairly high amount of dough for such resolution ... and the marketplace response has apparently borne this out.

So why do I find the concept fascinating? Because it reminds me of MRI some 25 years ago when 3D Fourier Transform Pulse Sequences (3D FT PSD's) were made clinically available. Up till then, only 2D PSD's were used. The slice thicknesses were on the order of 10 mm down to as thin as 5 mm. Thinner than that resulted in noisier images, with the only solution to preventing loss of Signal-to-Noise (S/N) necessitating an increase in scan time.

So "who cares?" a non-radiologist might ask. Well, with MRI image slices may be obtained in any imaging plane, though usually there are only planes of interest, all orthogonal to each other: axial (such as usually the plane in CT scanning,) Coronal, & Sagittal. But what if instead of doing THREE 2D PSD's, one in each plane at a time, one did ONE 3D PSD? If the slices of the latter are thin enough, one can reformat the images from one plane into another!

That's the analogy. Reformatting thin slice MR images into different planes is analogous to recomputing "light rays" to create images centered on different focal points. I can imagine just how useful this would be, for instance, in photographing a crime scene, particularly when nothing catches the photographer's eye to focus in on. But the Light Rays could be manipulated after the fact to reveal something that heretofore may have only been evident on out-of-focus photos!

I hope the company Lytro doesn't go out of business by having sold only "not-ready-for-prime-time" products. But I did recently check their website. Evidently, they're now working on 3D Virtual Reality Videography.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
REALLY? Where? The lowest price I recently saw was... (show quote)


WOOT daily special. 399.00

Reply
Nov 9, 2015 12:18:36   #
Bobspez Loc: Southern NJ, USA
 
I've seen a bunch of lytro pictures posted on flickr and a couple on the B&H review of this camera and none are in sharp focus! A used Nikon D3100 with a kit lens has about 10x the ability of this camera. People are intrigued by the concept, but the consensus seems to be that the product delivers crappy pictures.

Reply
 
 
Nov 9, 2015 15:21:08   #
lev29 Loc: Born and living in MA.
 
lev29 wrote:
REALLY? Where? The lowest price I recently saw was $599 @ B&H Photo, down from $1499 a few months ago.

The concept really intrigues me; HOWEVER, this current 2nd generation technology only has an in-plane resolution of, I believe, only 2-4 megapixels. That's still a fairly high amount of dough for such resolution ... and the marketplace response has apparently borne this out. / ... /

I hope the company Lytro doesn't go out of business by having sold only "not-ready-for-prime-time" products. But I did recently check their website. Evidently, they're now working on 3D Virtual Reality Videography.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
REALLY? Where? The lowest price I recently saw was... (show quote)

I feel I should qualify my use of three enthusiastic emoticons. My enthusiasm is for the concept, not this camera "on sale." From a practical POV, even $399 is too much to spend for the low IQ one obtains, as I & others have already pointed out, even with the ability to focus retrospectively.

lev29 :hunf:

Reply
Nov 10, 2015 00:57:59   #
BHC Loc: Strawberry Valley, JF, USA
 
Loops, sorry. For just a moment there I thought you were asking about a real field camera; actually I thought you were asking about a real camera! :roll:

Reply
Nov 10, 2015 06:37:10   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
W3KLS wrote:
Hi folks,

Anybody have or have info on a device called "Lytro B5-0035 ILLUM 40 Megaray Light Field Camera with Constant F/2.0, 8X Optical Zoom"? Sounds more like a "gadget" than a real "camera" to me which is OK for us gadget loving nonprofessionals.

Thanks and a good day to all,
Ken

Lytro has been around for quite a while, and their cameras have been getting better. They recently announced 360° virtuality reality camera - or something along those lines.

I've heard that other camera companies are working on similar systems.

Reply
Nov 24, 2022 13:01:33   #
tonyjag Loc: Bolton, Ma.
 
This the most recent post on light field cameras that i could find on UHH. Is there any more recent and better news or is the idea of a practical implementation dead?

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.