Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Continuous or Flash
Page: 1 2 next>>
Jan 29, 2012 14:15:50   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
Would you comment on continuous vs flash ring lighting please.
I've noticed that continuous LED lighting seems to be growing in popularity, your comments would be appreciated.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 14:27:56   #
Adubin Loc: Indialantic, Florida
 
I would say that the ring flash will put out more light and will freeze any movement in your subject. Some of them have a modeling light which light your subject before you take your picture. The LED lighting puts a constant light when you turn it on but typical doesn't put out as much light as a ring flash. If you click on this link http://www.dubinphotography.net/Nature/Gardens/Arnolds-Neighborhood-Flowers/20519985_vTX22L#!i=1625240761&k=Lxpmpc7, you view my photos, I took with a Sigma EN-140 DG Ring Flash. Arnold

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 14:37:11   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
You have some very nice shots there Adubin. I was wondering though if the modeling light might scare away insects before you had time to take the shot. I can see where the flash would give you better control of freezing movement. I also wonder if continuous lighting would even be practical when shooting insects as it too may scare them off before you could get the shot. Maybe someone has experience with both, me I have experience with neither. I think I may be interested in getting one or the other but I don't think both would fit into the old budget.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 14:41:12   #
Nikonian72 Loc: Long Beach CA
 
Pepper wrote:
Would you comment on continuous vs flash ring lighting please.
I've noticed that continuous LED lighting seems to be growing in popularity, your comments would be appreciated.

Most continuous illumination ringlights are LEDs, and are notoriously under-powered. That makes small aperture for maximum DOF difficult to obtain without long exposures.

Strobe, flash, or speedlight illuminated macro-photography allows for freeze action and deep DOF. Flash patterns can be multiple strobes, full circle, or 3/4-circle.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 15:11:59   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
Nikonian72 wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Would you comment on continuous vs flash ring lighting please.
I've noticed that continuous LED lighting seems to be growing in popularity, your comments would be appreciated.

Most continuous illumination ringlights are LEDs, and are notoriously under-powered. That makes small aperture for maximum DOF difficult to obtain without long exposures.

Strobe, flash, or speedlight illuminated macro-photography allows for freeze action and deep DOF. Flash patterns can be multiple strobes, full circle, or 3/4-circle.
quote=Pepper Would you comment on continuous vs f... (show quote)


Thanks Douglas, sounds like I may want to go with the flash.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 15:47:50   #
Nikonian72 Loc: Long Beach CA
 
Pepper wrote:
Thanks Douglas(s), sounds like I may want to go with the flash.

What camera, lens, and speedlight do you have?

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 16:08:18   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
D90 with 105mm Nikkor Micro lens and SB900 and SB700 flashes.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 18:31:15   #
Nikonian72 Loc: Long Beach CA
 
Pepper wrote:
D90 with 105mm Nikkor Micro lens and SB900 and SB700 flashes.

I strongly recommend that you consider a US$40 O-Flash 3/4-circle Fresnel prism attachment for your SB-700 to be used for macro lighting.

Read more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonian72/sets/72157623703013085

For examples, see my websites by my signature lower left, this post.
O-Flash 3/4-circle Fresnel prism attachment
O-Flash 3/4-circle Fresnel prism attachment...

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 19:13:48   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
Thanks Douglas, I think I'll give one of those a shot and see how it works. Is there a specific reason you suggested I use it with my 700 as oppose to the 900? Just curious.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 19:41:13   #
Nikonian72 Loc: Long Beach CA
 
Pepper wrote:
Thanks Douglas(s), I think I'll give one of those a shot and see how it works. Is there a specific reason you suggested I use it with my 700 as oppose to the 900? Just curious.

The 700 is powerful enough for macro lighting, and the 900 is overkill. Both can be used, but not with the same O-Flash.

My D5000 & D90 are the same height, so I can use my SB-600 & O-Flash model F160 with either. Your SB-900 is taller than your SB-700, so a different model is required to keep lens centered in the Fresnel ring.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 22:52:29   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
I checked the O-Flash web site and it's interesting that they show one for the SB-600 and the SB-800 But no 700 or 900.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 23:05:22   #
Nikonian72 Loc: Long Beach CA
 
Pepper wrote:
I checked the O-Flash web site and it's interesting that they show one for the SB-600 and the SB-800 But no 700 or 900.

The SB-600 & SB-700 are the same size. The SB-800 & SB-900 are the same size.

| Reply
Jan 29, 2012 23:06:43   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
Great! Problem solved, thanks Douglas you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar.

| Reply
Jan 30, 2012 01:12:07   #
Pepper Loc: Planet Earth Country USA
 
I found one on ebay for $33.60 and free shipping. Can't wait to get this and try it out. Thanks again Douglass.
Pepper

| Reply
Jan 30, 2012 01:59:56   #
Nikonian72 Loc: Long Beach CA
 
Pepper wrote:
I found one on ebay for $33.60 and free shipping. Can't wait to get this and try it out. Thanks again Douglass.
Pepper

Please, please, please make sure you have the correct length for your camera/speedlight.

My D90/SB-600 combo uses an O-Flash model F160.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.