Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Analysis
White Balance
Page 1 of 5 next> last>>
Jan 15, 2012 17:14:13   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
As you can see by the photos it was a very gloomy overcast day out ... and I could not get my white balance set properly ....I even had the manual with me and used it.
I know I can always photoshop these into looking decent but that won't help me learn the adjustments properly.
Short of putting the camera on auto .. what would you have done ?


These settings are all over the place but you can see I tried a bunch of them ... never did get it right. These are just a few.

f/22, 800, 1/160
f/22, 800, 1/160...

f/8, 1600, 1/4000
f/8, 1600, 1/4000...

f/8, 100, 1/30
f/8, 100, 1/30...

f/5.6, 200, 1/25
f/5.6, 200, 1/25...

f/22, 800. 1/160
f/22, 800. 1/160...

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 17:29:21   #
vislp Loc: Level Pebble
 
Hey photogrl57, #3 and#4 looks way over exposed to me. I'm not sure why if you are out in broad daylight that your shutter speed was so slow? 1/25 and 1/30? Seems strange to me. I'm not sure I'd be blaming it on WB or not.
Also, why 800 and 1600 ISO on the first two? Am I missing something? It doesn't look that dark out. Sometimes it's hard to tell though just by looking at a photo.

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 17:58:22   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
I was adjusting it to get the histogram right ... I had a different setting for each shot while I was adjusting
All these are straight out of the camera .. no editing except to resize

The last shot of the windmill was exactly what the sky looked like today

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2012 18:03:35   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
If you look at the histogram on these the white balance is way off on all of them .. so exactly what would you *blame* as you put it ?

Oh and I forgot to mention I had the camera on aperture priority ... I was only adjusting the ISO .. the other was automatic when I changed the settings

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 18:26:47   #
notnoBuddha
 
Just a guess - seems to me if the histogram is your concern the idea that you are only adjusting your aperture is not 100% true. If one - shutter, apeature or ISO is changed the others are effected. As a very simple test I would try the shots in automatic to see what the camera gives you - even if you wish to shoot any whatever manual mode you care to -you now have starting point. I would add also that a overcast sky can be a bear -often people rid as much of the sky as they can, or all by looking more for details instead of an entire scene.

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 18:34:15   #
snowbear
 
As far as I know, the histogram and white balance are not related. The histogram shows you the distribution of brightness value (darks to lights), and will show you exposure. White balance is related to color temperature (orange-yellowish to blueish)

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 18:41:35   #
vislp Loc: Level Pebble
 
When I look at 2 and 5 They look pretty darn close to having the right exposure and WB. I'm just not seeing a WB problem on my end on any of them. They just look either over exposed or under exposed on 1, 3, and 4. I'm trying to decide if 3 metered on the dark area and caused it to over expose the area around the outside. Maybe I shouldn't be giving my opinion on these, but I'm just NOT seeing a WB problem. :)

I'll wait to see what others have to say about them.

VisLP

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2012 18:41:38   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
notnoBuddha wrote:
Just a guess - seems to me if the histogram is your concern the idea that you are only adjusting your aperture is not 100% true. If one - shutter, apeature or ISO is changed the others are effected. As a very simple test I would try the shots in automatic to see what the camera gives you - even if you wish to shoot any whatever manual mode you care to -you now have starting point. I would add also that a overcast sky can be a bear -often people rid as much of the sky as they can, or all by looking more for details instead of an entire scene.
Just a guess - seems to me if the histogram is you... (show quote)


Yeah I thought about that ... switching to auto and forgetting the whole cloudy matter but then I wouldn't learn how to compensate ... which is ultimately my goal

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 18:43:45   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
vislp wrote:
When I look at 2 and 5 They look pretty darn close to having the right exposure and WB. I'm just not seeing a WB problem on my end on any of them. They just look either over exposed or under exposed on 1, 3, and 4. I'm trying to decide if 3 metered on the dark area and caused it to over expose the area around the outside. Maybe I shouldn't be giving my opinion on these, but I'm just NOT seeing a WB problem. :)

I'll wait to see what others have to say about them.

VisLP


So how would you have corrected this mess in camera .. I guess is what I am asking ...I've been trying to learn so much lately I think I am suffering from information overload and probably should have stayed at home LOL

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 18:45:28   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
Who knows maybe I should just reset the camera settings and take a few days off.

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 18:54:21   #
vislp Loc: Level Pebble
 
photogrl57 wrote:
vislp wrote:
When I look at 2 and 5 They look pretty darn close to having the right exposure and WB. I'm just not seeing a WB problem on my end on any of them. They just look either over exposed or under exposed on 1, 3, and 4. I'm trying to decide if 3 metered on the dark area and caused it to over expose the area around the outside. Maybe I shouldn't be giving my opinion on these, but I'm just NOT seeing a WB problem. :)

I'll wait to see what others have to say about them.

VisLP


So how would you have corrected this mess in camera .. I guess is what I am asking ...I've been trying to learn so much lately I think I am suffering from information overload and probably should have stayed at home LOL
quote=vislp When I look at 2 and 5 They look pret... (show quote)


What are you looking to want to correct photogrl57? I'm still REALLY puzzled as to why the shutter speed was so slow on 2 and 3. Are you sure your exposure meter was centered on those two shots? It almost looks like it could have been pushed to the right side. It's always hard to trouble shoot a problem like this without actually being there. When I look at these, it looks like there was a lot of light available, when in fact there may not have been as much as I think. Oh, and I know exactly what you mean by information overload! :lol: Been there, done that, and I'm still doing that! :lol:

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2012 18:59:59   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
I had to open one in photoshop to double check ... the metering mode was set to evaluative... that usually does a good job for me on sunny days ... I haven't had much time taking photos on overcast gloomy days ... here in the desert we don't get a lot of those.

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 19:04:32   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
LOL I think I just found out what I needed to do ....
out of 94 photos I took today only this one turned out pretty much how I wanted them all ... except for being out of focus a bit
The metering mode was on partial for this one.

And no sky in it like notnobuddha said

f/5.6 - 200 - 1/160
f/5.6 - 200 - 1/160...

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 19:09:31   #
vislp Loc: Level Pebble
 
The WB and exposure looks about as close to perfect as you could get on that one! Bring up the Saturation a little and see what it looks like. :wink:

Reply
Jan 15, 2012 19:11:07   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
yeah this has not been edited except to resize

Reply
Page 1 of 5 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Analysis
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.