Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Analysis
Catching Ocean Waves
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Jan 12, 2012 18:28:12   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
When capturing an image containing the Ocean, what opinions are there whether the shutter should be slow to blur the waves (like a waterfall) or keep them more crispy?

Here's an example of crispy (more or less). Anyone out there have some with silky waves?



Reply
Jan 12, 2012 22:46:21   #
Jay Pat Loc: Round Rock, Texas, USA
 
Just observation.

In the above image, I can see rough, turbulant and churning water.
If you were to blur this water motion (silky look), I believe you would lose the appeal of the posted image.

If you have the chance to create the silky look, go ahead and check it out and post it.

Pat

Reply
Jan 12, 2012 22:51:44   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
Jay Pat wrote:
Just observation.

In the above image, I can see rough, turbulant and churning water.
If you were to blur this water motion (silky look), I believe you would lose the appeal of the posted image.

If you have the chance to create the silky look, go ahead and check it out and post it.

Pat


I see what you mean. Maybe at Sunset or Dawn, quieter tones?

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2012 00:39:11   #
Danilo Loc: Las Vegas
 
I like your picture, greymule. There are plenty of photos where the breaking water is blurred, look around.

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 07:25:32   #
Patw28 Loc: PORT JERVIS, NY
 
For crashing waves, try BURST mode to catch the most dramatic instant. Some cameras include an interval adjust setting. Try 3 frames/sec for starters.

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 08:35:12   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
Patw28 wrote:
For crashing waves, try BURST mode to catch the most dramatic instant. Some cameras include an interval adjust setting. Try 3 frames/sec for starters.


Good tip.

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 09:00:17   #
Adirondack Hiker Loc: Southern Adirondacks
 
I think a faster shutter speed works here is showing the force of teh water, but I feel the lighting is defeating what you are trying to achieve. The sun on the water is causing it to be over exposed, causing a loss of detail. This would be a great shot on an overcast day, or when the sun is very low. Just be careful of the white balance, you do not want to lose the reds.

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2012 09:08:01   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
Adirondack Hiker wrote:
I think a faster shutter speed works here is showing the force of teh water, but I feel the lighting is defeating what you are trying to achieve. The sun on the water is causing it to be over exposed, causing a loss of detail. This would be a great shot on an overcast day, or when the sun is very low. Just be careful of the white balance, you do not want to lose the reds.


Would be better with softer, more golden light, I agree. When traveling with my wife, I have to take what I can get. Her dedication and patience aren't what mine are. My right ear is longer and stretched out from her pulling me away from waiting for "the shot".

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 10:23:33   #
dllphoto Loc: Pa.
 
here a few of my

All of these was in Maine,2011
All of these was in Maine,2011...









Reply
Jan 13, 2012 10:31:13   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
dllphoto wrote:
here a few of my


I'll be right back. I have to get my towel and dry off.

Have you been to Acadia National Park in Maine?

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 10:38:00   #
dllphoto Loc: Pa.
 
No only to Portland and everywhere south.It is a beautiful state. I love visiting there..

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2012 10:38:59   #
dllphoto Loc: Pa.
 
No only to Portland and everywhere south.It is a beautiful state. I love visiting there..ps I hope I didn't get u too wet..lol

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 10:59:37   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
dllphoto wrote:
No only to Portland and everywhere south.It is a beautiful state. I love visiting there..ps I hope I didn't get u too wet..lol


Not too wet, but it made my hair all curly. If you get a chance, head to Arcadia National Park. Very cool place. If I get a chance, I'll post some images.

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 11:17:15   #
blueeyes3515 Loc: WV
 
Greymule,
I personally love the angle of this shot(Nice), the only thing is it came close to washing out the waves!
Otherwise it is almost a perfect capture, (IMHO).

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 11:17:46   #
Turbo Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
greymule, I think you captured the "story" very well in that shot. Fast, furious water motion is what the subject it. The fact that colorful rocks are around is an added bonus !

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Analysis
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.