Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Analysis
Toning B&W Images
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jan 11, 2012 14:04:58   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
Here's an image I made in fog that was lifting, creating some highlights on the tent and the rocks on the other side of the lake.

Is this image toned correctly? I don't have much practice working in B&W. Suggestions are encouraged.

BTW- The image might appear as if we are camped right next to the lake. Camp should never be set up next to a lake. The tent is actually above the lake and about 100 feet from the water's edge.
A little back country etiquette. Cheers.



Reply
Jan 11, 2012 14:11:41   #
72young Loc: Williston Park, NY
 
Brings back memories of backpacking in the Washington Cascades (in my younger days). I'm not an expert on B&W, but it looks pretty good to me. Let's see some more pics.

Reply
Jan 11, 2012 14:13:57   #
tkhphotography Loc: Gresham, Or, not Seattle
 
Yes, the image is "toned" correctly if you mean that a full tonal capture has occurred; the tent white runs at 240 and the black is running at about 12 in counts. When viewing the histogram, it is nicely spread out.

I would say then, nice shot.

Reply
 
 
Jan 11, 2012 14:39:44   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
72young wrote:
Brings back memories of backpacking in the Washington Cascades (in my younger days). I'm not an expert on B&W, but it looks pretty good to me. Let's see some more pics.


Gosh. You may have asked the right person. <8-0

View from Top of Eulous
View from Top of Eulous...

Reply
Jan 11, 2012 14:40:46   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
tkhphotography wrote:
Yes, the image is "toned" correctly if you mean that a full tonal capture has occurred; the tent white runs at 240 and the black is running at about 12 in counts. When viewing the histogram, it is nicely spread out.

I would say then, nice shot.


Thanks. Where are the numbers from in PS?

Reply
Jan 11, 2012 14:52:15   #
tkhphotography Loc: Gresham, Or, not Seattle
 
greymule wrote:
tkhphotography wrote:
Yes, the image is "toned" correctly if you mean that a full tonal capture has occurred; the tent white runs at 240 and the black is running at about 12 in counts. When viewing the histogram, it is nicely spread out.

I would say then, nice shot.


Thanks. Where are the numbers from in PS?


In PSE7, (and most others) you look at the 'window' pull-down, click on histogram and check the tonal values. Then in same pull-down, click on 'info' and you can place your cursor anywhere on the pix and it will give you the values. (0 being pue black, 256 pure white)

ps. by the 'amount' of pixel values in the histogram you can judge how 'much' you did capture overall.

pss. One author I know of, said if he had to have just one PS technique, it would be the info window...I would have thought it would have been the histogram.

Reply
Jan 11, 2012 15:12:18   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
tkhphotography wrote:
greymule wrote:
tkhphotography wrote:
Yes, the image is "toned" correctly if you mean that a full tonal capture has occurred; the tent white runs at 240 and the black is running at about 12 in counts. When viewing the histogram, it is nicely spread out.

I would say then, nice shot.


Thanks. Where are the numbers from in PS?


In PSE7, (and most others) you look at the 'window' pull-down, click on histogram and check the tonal values. Then in same pull-down, click on 'info' and you can place your cursor anywhere on the pix and it will give you the values. (0 being pue black, 256 pure white)

ps. by the 'amount' of pixel values in the histogram you can judge how 'much' you did capture overall.

pss. One author I know of, said if he had to have just one PS technique, it would be the info window...I would have thought it would have been the histogram.
quote=greymule quote=tkhphotography Yes, the ima... (show quote)


Very cool techie info. Sounds VERY Useful. Thanks much.

Reply
 
 
Jan 11, 2012 16:14:28   #
Bmac Loc: Long Island, NY
 
Heck, I just looked at your photo and my eyes determined it was tonally and visually correct. Nice photo, err photos! :) :)

Reply
Jan 11, 2012 22:27:10   #
Sher Loc: Colorful Colorado
 
greymule wrote:
Here's an image I made in fog that was lifting, creating some highlights on the tent and the rocks on the other side of the lake.

Is this image toned correctly? I don't have much practice working in B&W. Suggestions are encouraged.

BTW- The image might appear as if we are camped right next to the lake. Camp should never be set up next to a lake. The tent is actually above the lake and about 100 feet from the water's edge.
A little back country etiquette. Cheers.


Amazing... Where is this?

Reply
Jan 11, 2012 22:38:47   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
Personally .... and I'm sure I'm alone in this thought... I'd adjust the contrast a bit more ....I adjusted the brightness/contrast in photoshop ended up moving the contrast slider to 50... it just makes the darks look richer... not a whole lot ... may I show you ?

Shoot I just noticed you were no longer online .. so here they are.





Reply
Jan 11, 2012 23:23:13   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
photogrl57 wrote:
Personally .... and I'm sure I'm alone in this thought... I'd adjust the contrast a bit more ....I adjusted the brightness/contrast in photoshop ended up moving the contrast slider to 50... it just makes the darks look richer... not a whole lot ... may I show you ?

Shoot I just noticed you were no longer online .. so here they are.


Everything does seem to pop a bit more in your toning. I'm just learning the B&W, so everyone's info and opinion helps. Thanks much.

Reply
 
 
Jan 11, 2012 23:25:12   #
photogrl57 Loc: Tennessee
 
greymule wrote:
photogrl57 wrote:
Personally .... and I'm sure I'm alone in this thought... I'd adjust the contrast a bit more ....I adjusted the brightness/contrast in photoshop ended up moving the contrast slider to 50... it just makes the darks look richer... not a whole lot ... may I show you ?

Shoot I just noticed you were no longer online .. so here they are.


Everything does seem to pop a bit more in your toning. I'm just learning the B&W, so everyone's info and opinion helps. Thanks much.
quote=photogrl57 Personally .... and I'm sure I'm... (show quote)


I'm actually sitting in on a webinar tomorrow for perfect photo suite users ... on how to get more impact from black and white photos....I'm hoping to get some good info to share :)

Reply
Jan 12, 2012 00:21:16   #
julesreyesmarko Loc: Los Angeles
 
I like more contrast in all my photos, I would even pump it up a little more.

Reply
Jan 12, 2012 00:35:44   #
julesreyesmarko Loc: Los Angeles
 
Here's my try with your image. I would be able to make it more dramatic with a color copy adjusting the colors contrast separately.



Reply
Jan 12, 2012 09:36:27   #
greymule Loc: Colorado
 
julesreyesmarko wrote:
Here's my try with your image. I would be able to make it more dramatic with a color copy adjusting the colors contrast separately.


Here's another try with more contrast, not separate color channels, just overall. Contrast set at 50%.

Mountain Goats
Mountain Goats...

Atop Castle Peak
Atop Castle Peak...

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Analysis
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.