Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Analysis
What difference does it make?
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jan 9, 2012 05:30:31   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
Seriously now, How does the rule of 3rd's really make a difference shooting photos of the moon? I shot it at F7.1 so no stars are in the background. Your eye is automatically drawn to the subject and not some corner of the photograph. And, it is cropped. So who cares?

How I took this shot: I used a semi-gloss backdrop (they are real cheap and can be found in any backyard at night).

I used a 2 light system. For my main I used the sun @ 5500 kelvin angled up from camera left at 45 degrees. For my fill light, I used a flashlight hand held As strange as it seems, I set my white balance at AWB since I saw no difference using a gray card. I couldn't even see the gray card.

I usually shoot all my portraits in B&W but this time I wanted to try it in color. I used a 300mm lens backed off to280mm.

Manual mode F7.1 @ 1/1250 sec. ISO 100 Hand held.
Manual mode  F7.1 @ 1/1250 sec. ISO 100 Hand held....

Reply
Jan 9, 2012 09:28:35   #
Singing Swan
 
Ya did good. I think you need to add a bit of contrast to Mare Humorum so the water drops show better. A really good shot of Tycho however. How did you get it to stand still so well???

Reply
Jan 9, 2012 11:52:27   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
Singing Swan wrote:
Ya did good. I think you need to add a bit of contrast to Mare Humorum so the water drops show better. A really good shot of Tycho however. How did you get it to stand still so well???
Easy. I fed it cheese.

Reply
 
 
Jan 9, 2012 12:13:54   #
Frank T
 
Rules once understood are made to be broken.
You obviously understand it.
Now you broke it and the cycle of life is complete.
Good shot. keep it up.

Reply
Jan 9, 2012 16:00:01   #
Animal lover
 
Perfect shot

Reply
Jan 10, 2012 23:50:04   #
docrob Loc: Durango, Colorado
 
tainkc wrote:
Seriously now, How does the rule of 3rd's really make a difference shooting photos of the moon? I shot it at F7.1 so no stars are in the background. Your eye is automatically drawn to the subject and not some corner of the photograph. And, it is cropped. So who cares?

How I took this shot: I used a semi-gloss backdrop (they are real cheap and can be found in any backyard at night).

I used a 2 light system. For my main I used the sun @ 5500 kelvin angled up from camera left at 45 degrees. For my fill light, I used a flashlight hand held As strange as it seems, I set my white balance at AWB since I saw no difference using a gray card. I couldn't even see the gray card.

I usually shoot all my portraits in B&W but this time I wanted to try it in color. I used a 300mm lens backed off to280mm.
Seriously now, How does the rule of 3rd's really m... (show quote)


it doesn't and its not a rule to start with

Reply
Jan 10, 2012 23:55:08   #
betsout06 Loc: Pound Ridge, NY
 
tainkc wrote:
Seriously now, How does the rule of 3rd's really make a difference shooting photos of the moon? I shot it at F7.1 so no stars are in the background. Your eye is automatically drawn to the subject and not some corner of the photograph. And, it is cropped. So who cares?

How I took this shot: I used a semi-gloss backdrop (they are real cheap and can be found in any backyard at night).

I used a 2 light system. For my main I used the sun @ 5500 kelvin angled up from camera left at 45 degrees. For my fill light, I used a flashlight hand held As strange as it seems, I set my white balance at AWB since I saw no difference using a gray card. I couldn't even see the gray card.

I usually shoot all my portraits in B&W but this time I wanted to try it in color. I used a 300mm lens backed off to280mm.
Seriously now, How does the rule of 3rd's really m... (show quote)

Thank you!

Reply
 
 
Jan 11, 2012 21:41:08   #
RobertinRI Loc: Central Falls, RI, USA
 
I don't think you need to apply the rule of 3rds to documentary shots of the moon. But, if you cropped it square and close, the craters would probably help you out.

Reply
Jan 11, 2012 21:53:13   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
RobertinRI wrote:
I don't think you need to apply the rule of 3rds to documentary shots of the moon. But, if you cropped it square and close, the craters would probably help you out.
Thanks for looking. I just felt like messing around with this one.

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 14:52:45   #
photophly Loc: Old Bridge NJ
 
Remember.....the "Rule of Thirds" is not written in stone.Nice shot....You do whatever works for You.

Reply
Jan 13, 2012 15:15:14   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
photophly wrote:
Remember.....the "Rule of Thirds" is not written in stone.Nice shot....You do whatever works for You.
Thanks.

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2012 21:10:49   #
loyalpentaxfan Loc: South Carolina
 
I, for one, appreciate the humor in your technical details (2-light system - LOL)

Reply
Jan 16, 2012 09:41:55   #
RobertinRI Loc: Central Falls, RI, USA
 
Wouldn't it be a one light system? And it would have to be directly behind you for the full moon effect...

Reply
Jan 16, 2012 12:22:43   #
Ugly Jake Loc: Sub-Rural Vermont
 
RobertinRI wrote:
Wouldn't it be a one light system? And it would have to be directly behind you for the full moon effect...


Directly behind would be a lunar eclipse, yes ?

Reply
Jan 16, 2012 12:27:36   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
RobertinRI wrote:
Wouldn't it be a one light system? And it would have to be directly behind you for the full moon effect...
I moved things around a bit. Lol.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Analysis
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.