Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Resizing canvas
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Feb 16, 2014 15:39:19   #
biry
 
Trying to add a drop shadow in PSE 11. No matter what I do to increase the canvas size I get a dialog box saying the canvas is the same or smaller than the image when I try to apply the shadow. This is my first post to UHH. Folks here are great. Thanks for any help.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2014 16:03:29   #
Linda From Maine (a regular here)
 
biry wrote:
Trying to add a drop shadow in PSE 11. No matter what I do to increase the canvas size I get a dialog box saying the canvas is the same or smaller than the image when I try to apply the shadow. This is my first post to UHH. Folks here are great. Thanks for any help.


Hey small world! I just posted a similar question a little while ago. See if anything there helps:

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-186219-1.html

| Reply
Feb 16, 2014 16:09:31   #
Rick36203
 
1. Make sure your image is in a layer (not a locked background).
2. Re-size canvas to approx. 110 percent in both height and width (canvas extension - transparent).
3. Create a solid color (white?) layer beneath your image.
4. Apply your drop shadow to the image layer which should appear to have a transparent border. (Layer effects does this quickly).

You should now be able to see the effect of the shadow showing on the larger white solid layer.

| Reply
Feb 16, 2014 16:49:55   #
biry
 
Linda From Maine wrote:
Hey small world! I just posted a similar question a little while ago. See if anything there helps:

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-186219-1.html


Hello, Linda from Maine,
I think a person has to delvelop a certain mind set to be comfortable in PSE. BTW Mrs Santa gave me a SX50 for my 80th b day, thanks to your pictures and praise for it. Great little camera. Thanks. Bill

| Reply
Feb 16, 2014 16:52:38   #
biry
 
Rick36203 wrote:
1. Make sure your image is in a layer (not a locked background).
2. Re-size canvas to approx. 110 percent in both height and width (canvas extension - transparent).
3. Create a solid color (white?) layer beneath your image.
4. Apply your drop shadow to the image layer which should appear to have a transparent border. (Layer effects does this quickly).

You should now be able to see the effect of the shadow showing on the larger white solid layer.


Thank you, Rick. I will try your sugestions. I think I might have had the inage in the locked background. Appreciate your help.
Bill

| Reply
Feb 16, 2014 16:53:46   #
Linda From Maine (a regular here)
 
biry wrote:
Hello, Linda from Maine,
I think a person has to delvelop a certain mind set to be comfortable in PSE. BTW Mrs Santa gave me a SX50 for my 80th b day, thanks to your pictures and praise for it. Great little camera. Thanks. Bill


:thumbup: :thumbup:

| Reply
Feb 16, 2014 17:11:54   #
biry
 
Rick36203 wrote:
1. Make sure your image is in a layer (not a locked background).
2. Re-size canvas to approx. 110 percent in both height and width (canvas extension - transparent).
3. Create a solid color (white?) layer beneath your image.
4. Apply your drop shadow to the image layer which should appear to have a transparent border. (Layer effects does this quickly).

You should now be able to see the effect of the shadow showing on the larger white solid layer.


That did it. Thanks again. This is a great forum. Bill

| Reply
Feb 16, 2014 17:17:49   #
Rick36203
 
biry wrote:
That did it. Thanks again. This is a great forum. Bill


Great. You are most welcome and, I'm always glad to help when I can.

| Reply
Feb 17, 2014 12:49:24   #
JaiGieEse
 
I think I see your problem. You're resizing the canvas and trying to apply the drop shadow, but in order to get that to work properly, you need to select the image itself. Best way, in PSP, anyway, is to use the magic Wand tool to select the newly created white background and then do a "Command-I" to invert the selection. Now you have the image selected and you should be able to place gthe drop shadow. Of course, if you later want to place the image and DS on a transparent background, you'd need to go the longer route of creating layers alrady described here.

| Reply
Feb 17, 2014 13:44:22   #
biry
 
Thank you JaiGieEse. I will experiment with this. Have never used the magic wand tool. So much to learn. Pretty sure I'll never get bored with PSE.

Bill

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.