Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Using a laptop as a monitor shooting stills?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 next>>
Dec 3, 2013 09:14:01   #
Gitchigumi
 
trc has explained it all very well. Good job, thanks trc! :thumbup:

And, I agree, the whole "3rd party" thing is confusing. I guess the easy way for me to get a grip on it is to say that anything beyond the basics is "3rd party". So, the camera (party 1) is talking to its own brand software on a computer (party 2). When the user decides he needs some other software with greater or different capabilities, that then becomes the 3rd party. And, BTW, there is no 4th party... :lol:

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 09:23:26   #
Bobbee
 
trc wrote:
From that point, you just start shooting and the images should appear on your MacBook Pro. As Bobbee said, LR is actually a third party software program (not a Mac OSX installed program) which is an image editing and cataloging program from Adobe. I guess most people think of it as not being a third party program because it is used so much and kind of like an industry standard, perhaps. Another 'third party program' you can download off the internet that is free, that I previously mentioned, is called Sofortbild at http://www.sofortbildapp.com. It works very well and has some nifty features for controlling your camera from your MacBook Pro. Just as a FYI, LR also has controls for your camera, as well, from your MacBook Pro.

You can find tether cable extensions (16 feet long) for connecting to your laptop at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Tether+cable+Extensions+D7100&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=. Hope this helps you out a bit with both LR and the cable extensions. :)

Tom
From that point, you just start shooting and the i... (show quote)


I was considering this and went to your link. I found for my D800 this one looks to be the connection used.
Tether Tools 15' TetherPro USB 3.0 Male A to Micro-B Cable

Mucho Gracias. I am applying for a shooting booth at a state fair to do Green Screen 4x6 photo shoots. I have the cable for my D700 but needed one for my D800. Thanks!!!

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 15:21:20   #
Wall-E
 
NewzShooter wrote:
I'm hoping some of you expert hogs will chime in on this one. Can I use my MacBookPro as a "live" monitor while shooting stills? If so, what do I need beside my D7100 and MacBookPro? I know I'll need some kind of cable, but which kind? And how do I set up the camera and MacBookPro? I want a client to be able to see each shot as I shoot for a product shoot. The product is small trinkets and figurines but I want the client to see each shot as I fire so there will be no complaining after the fact. I will be enhancing in LR before delivering finished images, but the initial setup of each figurine and how it looks through the camera (or monitor on my Mac) will give the client that "I can see it for myself" confidence. If the client "okays" each shot as he sees it, that puts me in the clear. Trinkets and small figurines are a delicate object to shoot, so I want the client to be sure as the shoot moves along.
I'm hoping some of you expert hogs will chime in o... (show quote)


Are you asking about 'tethering', where the image is downloaded immediately after taking the shot?

Or, are you asking about doing 'live view' through your computer?

If it's tethering, then LR is definitely the tool to use.

The 'live view' can be displayed through an HD TV using a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 20:25:40   #
NewzShooter
 
To clear it up… when I said I didn't want to use a third party program, since I had already established that I am ALREADY using Lightroom 5, my reference was to a post that mentioned other software programs to enable using camera and MacBookPro. My meaning was that I didn't need ANOTHER program because I already have LR5. Hope this clears up the confusion here.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 20:29:51   #
NewzShooter
 
Bobbee wrote:
But if you are opposed to adding third party software to your laptop. You certainly will miss out on lots of specialized software's to do particular job. LR may be fine but it is not the end all to processing pictures. It is also kind of limiting and does not offer up all the features one would use to process pictures. Also Control does a great job of managing you camera settings.

Your point may be obvious and it did not slip by, but my point is not and did. Take care

I use LOTS of third party software. There's a lot of great stuff out there, especially for photography. as I posted a bit ago…

To clear it up… when I said I didn't want to use a third party program, since I had already established that I am ALREADY using Lightroom 5, my reference was to a post that mentioned other software programs to enable using camera and MacBookPro. My meaning was that I didn't need ANOTHER program because I already have LR5. Hope this clears up the confusion here.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 20:57:46   #
trc
 
Bobbee wrote:
I was considering this and went to your link. I found for my D800 this one looks to be the connection used.
Tether Tools 15' TetherPro USB 3.0 Male A to Micro-B Cable

Mucho Gracias. I am applying for a shooting booth at a state fair to do Green Screen 4x6 photo shoots. I have the cable for my D700 but needed one for my D800. Thanks!!!


Bobbee,

Glad I could be some help. I have an extension tether cable but couldn't tell you the part/product number off hand. I doubt if it is even on the cable itself. I just know I bought it a year or two ago and it works. &#128516;

I have never shot with a green screen background, but thought about it a while back. Trouble is they seem to be fairly expensive. I even looked into a program that would change the background from a green screen shot automatically. It looked pretty convenient doing all the work. It looked like a convenience over Photoshop for sure. I can change some backgrounds fairly easily without too much work using onOne PhotoSuite 7. I'd bet version 8 may be easier, but don't own that latest version. There is just so much on the market that photographers could buy if they were made of money, which I'm still waiting for!&#128516;

Until next time . . .

Tom

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 21:05:54   #
NewzShooter
 
I'd like to thank of of you who chimed in and offered your help. I'm sure a USB cable came with my D7100. I think it may still be in the box that I stored in the garage after buying the camera. I'll check, if not I can always buy one at the local camera store. Speaking of which, can you believe in a city the size of Las Vegas there is only ONE camera store left in the entire city? All the others have closed up shop within the past 2 years. If this one closes, photographers in Las Vegas will be screwed, convenience-wise. There's always B&H, but the convenience of walking in a store… well you know how it is.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 22:29:29   #
trc
 
NewzShooter wrote:
I'd like to thank of of you who chimed in and offered your help. I'm sure a USB cable came with my D7100. I think it may still be in the box that I stored in the garage after buying the camera. I'll check, if not I can always buy one at the local camera store. Speaking of which, can you believe in a city the size of Las Vegas there is only ONE camera store left in the entire city? All the others have closed up shop within the past 2 years. If this one closes, photographers in Las Vegas will be screwed, convenience-wise. There's always B&H, but the convenience of walking in a store… well you know how it is.
I'd like to thank of of you who chimed in and offe... (show quote)


NewzShooter,

I, for one, am here from time to time to try and help others out if I am confident in answering. I know I really enjoy helping others when they have a question, and I am capable of putting in my educated 2 cents and have the time. I'm sure that most other photographers here on UHH feel the same way. :) It's time for me to shut down. It seems like 4:00 am comes earlier and earlier an earlier! Until next time, possibly . . .

Tom

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 22:48:57   #
NewzShooter
 
trc wrote:
NewzShooter,

I, for one, am here from time to time to try and help others out if I am confident in answering. I know I really enjoy helping others when they have a question, and I am capable of putting in my educated 2 cents and have the time. I'm sure that most other photographers here on UHH feel the same way. :) It's time for me to shut down. It seems like 4:00 am comes earlier and earlier an earlier! Until next time, possibly . . .

Tom


Thank you very much Tom. I do appreciate your help. You and others on this forum are great resources of valuable information. I really do appreciate all of you. Enjoy your sleep : )

| Reply
Dec 4, 2013 06:20:43   #
Bobbee
 
trc wrote:
Bobbee,

Glad I could be some help. I have an extension tether cable but couldn't tell you the part/product number off hand. I doubt if it is even on the cable itself. I just know I bought it a year or two ago and it works. &#128516;

I have never shot with a green screen background, but thought about it a while back. Trouble is they seem to be fairly expensive. I even looked into a program that would change the background from a green screen shot automatically. It looked pretty convenient doing all the work. It looked like a convenience over Photoshop for sure. I can change some backgrounds fairly easily without too much work using onOne PhotoSuite 7. I'd bet version 8 may be easier, but don't own that latest version. There is just so much on the market that photographers could buy if they were made of money, which I'm still waiting for!&#128516;

Until next time . . .

Tom
Bobbee, br br Glad I could be some help. I have a... (show quote)


I have my Green Screen for about three years now. I do believe I paid about $49 for it. It is cloth, heavy and is tough. Shop around. As Mullner said...........They are out there.

| Reply
Dec 4, 2013 07:10:48   #
Brucej67
 
Another option is the EYE-Fi card direct to the laptop http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2 this works for me.

| Reply
Dec 4, 2013 08:18:40   #
peterg
 
NewzShooter wrote:
...Can I use my MacBookPro as a "live" monitor while shooting stills? If so, what do I need beside my D7100 and MacBookPro? I know I'll need some kind of cable, but which kind? ...

I use CamRanger ( http://camranger.com ) for wireless control or remote viewing. Sounds like you'd want to use CamRanger's "Auto-View" feature which "Allows others such as clients, directors, or associates to quickly and wirelessly view the shots after they are taken by the photographer at the camera." I usually use my iPad, not my MacBook for this.
If you're in a studio with a limited distance and don't mind a wire, there are cheaper options already discussed.

| Reply
Dec 4, 2013 08:26:07   #
bkyser
 
lightroom will show the images after you shoot, but not a live view. You will need to get a "third party" program. just google tethering with live view, and you'll find a few. Some are free, some are cheap, some are outragious, but they all seem to do the same thing.

| Reply
Dec 4, 2013 08:27:23   #
amehta
 
NewzShooter wrote:
I'd like to thank of of you who chimed in and offered your help. I'm sure a USB cable came with my D7100. I think it may still be in the box that I stored in the garage after buying the camera. I'll check, if not I can always buy one at the local camera store. Speaking of which, can you believe in a city the size of Las Vegas there is only ONE camera store left in the entire city? All the others have closed up shop within the past 2 years. If this one closes, photographers in Las Vegas will be screwed, convenience-wise. There's always B&H, but the convenience of walking in a store… well you know how it is.
I'd like to thank of of you who chimed in and offe... (show quote)


You can get the cable from Best Buy, just make sure you know exactly what connector you need. And take the camera with you to try it in the store, avoiding the hassle of having to return it.

| Reply
Dec 4, 2013 08:41:23   #
sbesaw
 
NewzShooter wrote:
I'd like to thank of of you who chimed in and offered your help. I'm sure a USB cable came with my D7100. I think it may still be in the box that I stored in the garage after buying the camera. I'll check, if not I can always buy one at the local camera store. Speaking of which, can you believe in a city the size of Las Vegas there is only ONE camera store left in the entire city? All the others have closed up shop within the past 2 years. If this one closes, photographers in Las Vegas will be screwed, convenience-wise. There's always B&H, but the convenience of walking in a store… well you know how it is.
I'd like to thank of of you who chimed in and offe... (show quote)


Go to www.teathertools.com they have all the answers and are experts. The review every software and have things that you didn't know you needed (but do need) like jerk stoppers.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.