Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Using a laptop as a monitor shooting stills?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Dec 3, 2013 05:29:18   #
NewzShooter
 
I'm hoping some of you expert hogs will chime in on this one. Can I use my MacBookPro as a "live" monitor while shooting stills? If so, what do I need beside my D7100 and MacBookPro? I know I'll need some kind of cable, but which kind? And how do I set up the camera and MacBookPro? I want a client to be able to see each shot as I shoot for a product shoot. The product is small trinkets and figurines but I want the client to see each shot as I fire so there will be no complaining after the fact. I will be enhancing in LR before delivering finished images, but the initial setup of each figurine and how it looks through the camera (or monitor on my Mac) will give the client that "I can see it for myself" confidence. If the client "okays" each shot as he sees it, that puts me in the clear. Trinkets and small figurines are a delicate object to shoot, so I want the client to be sure as the shoot moves along.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 05:49:57   #
Bobbee
 
NewzShooter wrote:
I'm hoping some of you expert hogs will chime in on this one. Can I use my MacBookPro as a "live" monitor while shooting stills? If so, what do I need beside my D7100 and MacBookPro? I know I'll need some kind of cable, but which kind? And how do I set up the camera and MacBookPro? I want a client to be able to see each shot as I shoot for a product shoot. The product is small trinkets and figurines but I want the client to see each shot as I fire so there will be no complaining after the fact. I will be enhancing in LR before delivering finished images, but the initial setup of each figurine and how it looks through the camera (or monitor on my Mac) will give the client that "I can see it for myself" confidence. If the client "okays" each shot as he sees it, that puts me in the clear. Trinkets and small figurines are a delicate object to shoot, so I want the client to be sure as the shoot moves along.
I'm hoping some of you expert hogs will chime in o... (show quote)


There are some aftermarket programs that do this. Nikon also offers Nikon Control 2 which does the same thing.Additionall, the interface is available at the Nikon ite. So if your programming skills are up to the task you can create our own.

For the cable you camera came with a USB cable to plug into your laptop for updates and to use Nikon View, Same cable. On the newer models thisis a USB 3 cable. You may just need a longer one. like 10 feet. When you go to this length the transfer slows down.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 06:08:09   #
trc
 
You can tether your camera to your MacBook Pro using LR. No need to buy another program. I think it is accessed under the file menu or one next to it in LR - not hard to find. There is a free program that you can use to tether the D7100 to the laptop that gives you all kinds of control from that program for your camera. I can't remember the name, but have it on my computer and it works great. When I get to my computer I'll see what it is and pass it on to you. I bought a long extension cord for my cord from the camera to the laptop from http//:www.bhphotovideo.com and have a combined length of about 25 feet. Tethering is great enabling you to see your images on a larger screen rather than just your small camera LCD. 😄

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 06:13:08   #
NewzShooter
 
If I can accomplish this with LR, as you suggested, that would be great! I'll wait for your followup with the rest of the detailed information you referred to. Being able to accomplish this without having to install third party software would be the way I'd want to go. Lightroom, my D7100 and my MBP would be awesome!

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 06:13:43   #
beauxPatrick
 
I have neither Nikon nor Mac... but, I do have a Canon EOS T3i 600D... and it comes with software and cable to do this. So, I am pretty sure the Nikon is capable.

I am doing a pet portrait shoot and I have set up so the client can watch "through the lens" in live view setting as I do the portraits... It is a great idea to involve the client in such a way... and they are intrigued...

As well, it portrays me in a more of a professional image... and they can understand what I am seeing... and if it is a difficult shoot they can see and understand...

Again... I am sure Nikon has a way to do this...

beaux

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 06:16:27   #
NewzShooter
 
trc wrote:
You can tether your camera to your MacBook Pro using LR. No need to buy another program. I think it is accessed under the file menu or one next to it in LR - not hard to find. There is a free program that you can use to tether the D7100 to the laptop that gives you all kinds of control from that program for your camera. I can't remember the name, but have it on my computer and it works great. When I get to my computer I'll see what it is and pass it on to you. I bought a long extension cord for my cord from the camera to the laptop from http//:www.bhphotovideo.com and have a combined length of about 25 feet. Tethering is great enabling you to see your images on a larger screen rather than just your small camera LCD. 😄
You can tether your camera to your MacBook Pro usi... (show quote)

If I can accomplish this with LR, as you suggested, that would be great! I'll wait for your followup with the rest of the detailed information you referred to. Being able to accomplish this without having to install third party software would be the way I'd want to go. Lightroom, my D7100 and my MBP would be awesome!

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 06:44:23   #
catfish252
 
NewzShooter wrote:
If I can accomplish this with LR, as you suggested, that would be great! I'll wait for your followup with the rest of the detailed information you referred to. Being able to accomplish this without having to install third party software would be the way I'd want to go. Lightroom, my D7100 and my MBP would be awesome!


Here are the cameras supported by Lightroom:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support-lightroom-4.html

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 06:52:22   #
NewzShooter
 
catfish252 wrote:


Awesome! Thanx! I'll check out the link right now! I'll respond tomorrowÂ… going to bed after I look at the link. Thanks again.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 06:55:20   #
catfish252
 
Not a problem

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 07:29:18   #
Bobbee
 
NewzShooter wrote:
If I can accomplish this with LR, as you suggested, that would be great! I'll wait for your followup with the rest of the detailed information you referred to. Being able to accomplish this without having to install third party software would be the way I'd want to go. Lightroom, my D7100 and my MBP would be awesome!


Hummmm, You don't consider Lightroom to be a third party software??? Have to go back and look at my OS install, I missed something. Did not see the option for installing LR as part of the OS.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 07:47:26   #
rpavich
 
Bobbee wrote:
Hummmm, You don't consider Lightroom to be a third party software??? Have to go back and look at my OS install, I missed something. Did not see the option for installing LR as part of the OS.


Of course, the reference was made in the context of camera + post processing software.

Not that hard to figure out the meaning....

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 08:08:38   #
Bobbee
 
rpavich wrote:
Of course, the reference was made in the context of camera + post processing software.

Not that hard to figure out the meaning....


But if you are opposed to adding third party software to your laptop. You certainly will miss out on lots of specialized software's to do particular job. LR may be fine but it is not the end all to processing pictures. It is also kind of limiting and does not offer up all the features one would use to process pictures. Also Control does a great job of managing you camera settings.

Your point may be obvious and it did not slip by, but my point is not and did. Take care

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 08:11:25   #
rpavich
 
Bobbee wrote:
But if you are opposed to adding third party software to your laptop. You certainly will miss out on lots of specialized software's to do particular job. LR may be fine but it is not the end all to processing pictures. It is also kind of limiting and does not offer up all the features one would use to process pictures. Also Control does a great job of managing you camera settings.

Your point may be obvious and it did not slip by, but my point is not and did. Take care


But your comment has nothing to do with the OP's meaning or post... :(

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 08:14:11   #
Bobbee
 
rpavich wrote:
But your comment has nothing to do with the OP's meaning or post... :(


Yes it does, I am still explaining adding Control 2 for off camera process. Missed it again.

| Reply
Dec 3, 2013 08:19:05   #
trc
 
NewzShooter wrote:
If I can accomplish this with LR, as you suggested, that would be great! I'll wait for your followup with the rest of the detailed information you referred to. Being able to accomplish this without having to install third party software would be the way I'd want to go. Lightroom, my D7100 and my MBP would be awesome!


NewzShooter,

I have tethered to my D800 using LR 4 and LR 5 using the cable that comes with my Nikon that connects to the camera and to the USB port on the MacBook Pro. I am assuming that the D7100 comes with an appropriate cable?

In LR, go to the File menu at the top of LR, and then down to Tethered Capture, and then Start Tethered Capture. You will get a menu that comes up where you can and should name the Session, Naming Template, and choose the destination where the pictures will be uploaded and saved to your computer. Once you do that and click OK, you will get another smaller window that asks you to put in the initial shot name. That can be anything you want; such as Shot 1, or Martha's Portrait, or whatever.

As Catfish252 posted, your D7100 can be tethered using LR based on the link he provided.



From that point, you just start shooting and the images should appear on your MacBook Pro. As Bobbee said, LR is actually a third party software program (not a Mac OSX installed program) which is an image editing and cataloging program from Adobe. I guess most people think of it as not being a third party program because it is used so much and kind of like an industry standard, perhaps. Another 'third party program' you can download off the internet that is free, that I previously mentioned, is called Sofortbild at http://www.sofortbildapp.com. It works very well and has some nifty features for controlling your camera from your MacBook Pro. Just as a FYI, LR also has controls for your camera, as well, from your MacBook Pro.

You can find tether cable extensions (16 feet long) for connecting to your laptop at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Tether+cable+Extensions+D7100&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=. Hope this helps you out a bit with both LR and the cable extensions. :)

Tom

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.