Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
beike-BK-45
Apr 23, 2013 16:03:06   #
REJ Loc: Ontario Canada
 
Hi All.
This unit was purchased three months ago by a friend of mine but was to stiff for his use so he resold it to me. I went to the Hogs archives for hints on how to unstiff the thing. The horizontal swinging sections cover is no longer a clip in device, it is glued in with a very good grade of glue. to my good luck about 2/3 of the gluing surface had a film of grease on it so a screwdriver could be inserted in that weak spot and then it was either pry up until the rest of the glue broke or the cover bent. To my good luck the glue broke and the cover is still in good shape. The rest was easy, one screw to take out, solvent to clean up the most sticky grease I have ever seen and maybe a bit of sanding to remove a small burr where the locking screw comes through the cylinder wall. It took a while to chip out the rest of the glue so the cover would fit and then a small dab of bathtub caulking to hold the cover on. The horizontal section now spins freely. On to the vertical section, not so lucky here. Broke two penknife blades getting the little compass out. Glue again, after that was out clear sailing I thought. A number 5 metric allen wrench was needed and I huffed and puffed but I could not loosen that darn bolt, I tried clockwise, counterclockwise no luck so I took it to my local machine shop. They tried with a medium impact wrench, no luck. They would not use a heavier impact wrench, they said there must be locktight on the bolt and they would likely twist the head right off the bolt and then the repair cost would be more then the thing is worth. So now I have a $20.00 unit that spins good but is stiff in the vertical movements but the little compass still works and I still don't know how stiff is to stiff.
Stupid question coming up but first, in my minds eye I see this thing mounted on a three or four foot pole that is secured in the ground and then a person could follow action in the sky, like an air show. But on a tripod with three legs sticking out????. You must take this into account up until last week the only gimbal knew of was the one used to mount a ships compass in. here is my stupid question "What branch of photography would you use a gimbal in and how would you use it." Please advise. REJ

| Reply
Apr 23, 2013 16:22:39   #
GoofyNewfie Loc: Kansas City
 
OK, I give up.
What the hell is a beike-BK-45?

A Gimbal mount.

A working link is useful:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Beike-Professional-Panoramic-Gimbal-Tripod-Head-BK-45-Specialized-1-4-Screw-For-Telephoto-Len/409333_527431831.html

Looks nice.

| Reply
Apr 24, 2013 13:41:51   #
jeep_daddy Loc: Prescott AZ
 
REJ wrote:
Hi All.
On to the vertical section, not so lucky here. . . I took it to my local machine shop. They tried with a medium impact wrench, no luck, they said there must be locktight on the bolt and they would likely twist the head right off the bolt and then the repair cost would be more then the thing is worth. So now I have a $20.00 unit that spins good but is stiff in the vertical movements.
Stupid question coming up "What branch of photography would you use a gimbal in and how would you use it." Please advise. REJ
Hi All. br On to the vertical section, not... (show quote)


On the first part of your problem, why don't you buy a small butane torch and heat up the fastener and then try to remove it. For $20 you have nothing to loose. Heat it over and over a few times. Heat usually takes care of Loc-Tight.

On the second part of your post, I use a gimbal head on a tripod with a heavy lens and camera combo. If you put a heavy unit on a ball head you stand a chance that it will flop over. The photography I use it for is any time I'm using my 500mm lens where I don't want to hand hold it - usually wildlife photography.

I see your point where going around in a big arc that the legs of the tripod may get in your way, but this happens very seldom since I usually don't take pictures of subjects that in bad light - if you know what I mean. Also, when taking pictures of BIF (birds in flight), I don't want pictures of them flying away, just flying across or more towards me. In other words, I won't start tracking a bird flying toward me and keep tracking it as it's flying away from me. Butt shots are not my thing.

| Reply
Apr 24, 2013 17:38:22   #
Jblanke Loc: Metairie, LA
 
REJ wrote:
Hi All.
This unit was purchased three months ago by a friend of mine but was to stiff for his use so he resold it to me. I went to the Hogs archives for hints on how to unstiff the thing. The horizontal swinging sections cover is no longer a clip in device, it is glued in with a very good grade of glue. to my good luck about 2/3 of the gluing surface had a film of grease on it so a screwdriver could be inserted in that weak spot and then it was either pry up until the rest of the glue broke or the cover bent. To my good luck the glue broke and the cover is still in good shape. The rest was easy, one screw to take out, solvent to clean up the most sticky grease I have ever seen and maybe a bit of sanding to remove a small burr where the locking screw comes through the cylinder wall. It took a while to chip out the rest of the glue so the cover would fit and then a small dab of bathtub caulking to hold the cover on. The horizontal section now spins freely. On to the vertical section, not so lucky here. Broke two penknife blades getting the little compass out. Glue again, after that was out clear sailing I thought. A number 5 metric allen wrench was needed and I huffed and puffed but I could not loosen that darn bolt, I tried clockwise, counterclockwise no luck so I took it to my local machine shop. They tried with a medium impact wrench, no luck. They would not use a heavier impact wrench, they said there must be locktight on the bolt and they would likely twist the head right off the bolt and then the repair cost would be more then the thing is worth. So now I have a $20.00 unit that spins good but is stiff in the vertical movements but the little compass still works and I still don't know how stiff is to stiff.
Stupid question coming up but first, in my minds eye I see this thing mounted on a three or four foot pole that is secured in the ground and then a person could follow action in the sky, like an air show. But on a tripod with three legs sticking out????. You must take this into account up until last week the only gimbal knew of was the one used to mount a ships compass in. here is my stupid question "What branch of photography would you use a gimbal in and how would you use it." Please advise. REJ
Hi All. br This unit was purchased three m... (show quote)


I use my gimbal for wild life and bird photography. I bought the LensMaster RH-2 and it is a permanent part of my kit. I have even used it for some studio applications. It is one hell of a piece of gear and I don't think I could do without it.

| Reply
Apr 24, 2013 19:32:21   #
Bruce with a Canon Loc: Islip
 
Lensmaster RH2, wildlife, birds
Canon 1D Mk II 100-400 lens with 1.4 TC
Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod

This is how they should operate
http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/

| Reply
Apr 27, 2013 09:05:29   #
REJ Loc: Ontario Canada
 
jeep_daddy wrote:
On the first part of your problem, why don't you buy a small butane torch and heat up the fastener and then try to remove it. For $20 you have nothing to loose. Heat it over and over a few times. Heat usually takes care of Loc-Tight.

On the second part of your post, I use a gimbal head on a tripod with a heavy lens and camera combo. If you put a heavy unit on a ball head you stand a chance that it will flop over. The photography I use it for is any time I'm using my 500mm lens where I don't want to hand hold it - usually wildlife photography.

I see your point where going around in a big arc that the legs of the tripod may get in your way, but this happens very seldom since I usually don't take pictures of subjects that in bad light - if you know what I mean. Also, when taking pictures of BIF (birds in flight), I don't want pictures of them flying away, just flying across or more towards me. In other words, I won't start tracking a bird flying toward me and keep tracking it as it's flying away from me. Butt shots are not my thing.
On the first part of your problem, why don't you b... (show quote)


Hi Jeep daddy I thought about heat but my acetylene torch was to big, I never thought of a butane torch and I have one I use daily in my other life. (Electronics). Many thanks to all who answered I know a lot more about Gimbal Heads then I did last week. REJ

| Reply
Apr 27, 2013 10:40:20   #
RocketScientist Loc: Littleton, Colorado
 
GoofyNewfie wrote:


Here's what it looks like in action. Canon 1000D, Big ugly Opteka 650-1300, and a customized Manfrotto 293. Thank God for Unistrut. This is sitting on a Manfrotto 3021 tripod.

My BK-45 came operating very smoothly. When the load is balanced, it only takes my pinkie finger to move it around. The camera, lens and balancing rig weigh in at 14 pounds. This gimbal head handles it quite well.

With the base of the camera about halfway up, I can get that rig to point nearly straight up. Maybe 75 degrees.







| Reply
Apr 28, 2013 14:58:06   #
REJ Loc: Ontario Canada
 
Hi Rocket Scientist
After seeing your set up and if I ever get my gimbal head working it will no trouble holding my D7000 and a Sigma 150-500. TK's REJ.

| Reply
Apr 28, 2013 19:34:48   #
RocketScientist Loc: Littleton, Colorado
 
REJ wrote:
Hi Rocket Scientist
After seeing your set up and if I ever get my gimbal head working it will no trouble holding my D7000 and a Sigma 150-500. TK's REJ.


That was a battle in and of it self. Now that it is steady, I can actually get some decent shots with that lens. Being relatively new to photography, getting the exposure down is the current phase/ vocabulary lesson of using that lens. I am getting better.

| Reply
Apr 30, 2013 22:07:26   #
Bruce with a Canon Loc: Islip
 
RocketScientist wrote:
That was a battle in and of it self. Now that it is steady, I can actually get some decent shots with that lens. Being relatively new to photography, getting the exposure down is the current phase/ vocabulary lesson of using that lens. I am getting better.


I bet you can get right on the moon with that 1300mm monster :)

| Reply
Apr 30, 2013 23:32:11   #
RocketScientist Loc: Littleton, Colorado
 
Bruce with a Canon wrote:
I bet you can get right on the moon with that 1300mm monster :)


I'll post on the next full moon without cloud cover.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.